Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Inauguration Gig...pay guesses?

stepay

I just watched the Inauguration, and saw Aretha sing and then Itzhak Perlman and Yo Yo Ma and others play, and I just wondered what kind of coin they get for such a gig.

I'm just curious.

Anyone know?

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd guess some are willing to do it for free. Do you really think Aretha asked for money to sing in a historic president?

Sounds altruistic, but, unless she really wanted to do it and approached them about it, I'm betting she got paid. They spent $125 million on the Inauguration; seems that some of that likely went to the musicians.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

Funny, I was thinking about this yesterday. I thinking if Bruce got paid and Stevie Wonder. I think they paid them! I think the way it might have gone is out of respect to the artist, they paid them!

Of course and artist could take that and give thier pay to charity for an event like that!

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

I think it's extremely unlikely that the artists got paid, not in cash anyway. I'm also pretty sure that all of their expenses (travel, accommodation, rehearsal, cartage, etc.) were covered.
Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

I just watched the Inauguration, and saw Aretha sing and then Itzhak Perlman and Yo Yo Ma and others play, and I just wondered what kind of coin they get for such a gig.

I'm just curious.

Anyone know?

No idea. But I'll bet there must be a lot of sweet society gigs in and around Washington. Come to think of it, that's how Ellington started out.

In my personal experience, the politicians try to cut the best deal that they can, just like any other client. In the case of a heavy supporter (like Springsteen), the artist may be willing to just make cost, rather than milk the administration or the campaign committee for every penny. But the spokesperson for the politician will often try to 'guilt you' into playing for free. "Well wouldn't you want to show your support for 'candidate x' by playing for free?" (That of course presumes that every musician and person on the crew supports that candidate.) But they don't want to hear that... :freak:

You would think that the publicity alone would be compensation enough.

That kind of publicity is a double edged sword. In this hostile political climate, it could also alienate those potential clientele that believe fervently in the opposing party. Ironically, all the politicians that I've played for over the years were ones that I opposed in the elections. Go figure. But I don't mind; the color of their money is the same.

You would think that the publicity alone would be compensation enough.

That kind of publicity is a double edged sword. In this hostile political climate, it could also alienate those potential clientele that believe fervently in the opposing party. Ironically, all the politicians that I've played for over the years were ones that I opposed in the elections. Go figure. But I don't mind; the color of their money is the same.

I'd rather play for the politicians I don't support. The more money of theirs I take, the less they have....
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

I would say 150-60 grand:

50K for Williams to write it

60K for travel, hotels, private jets

200 bucks for piano tuner. :evil:

20K each for Ma and Perlman

10K for Montero

4K for the clarinetist

Ma usually gets 75 grand for a gig, Perlman 60. This was a bargain. :laugh:

I'm betting the band members made at least $75 a man, and Bruce and Stevie probably walked away with a bill or two as leader pay....

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

I performed with the Four Tops at President Clinton's first inaugaration, and it was a great honor. The night before, I went to a club and jammed with members of the Allman Brothers band. One of them said to me "You play with The Four Tops? That Levi Stubbs is just about the singin'est bastard I ever heard"!

We got regular band/show pay. Tops did not get paid.

I'm betting the band members made at least $75 a man, and Bruce and Stevie probably walked away with a bill or two as leader pay....
But the load in was a b^&%

Yep. And the soundcheck was two weeks beforehand, so the call time was really early and they had a lot of time to kill in the greenroom.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

I don't know what happened exactly, but the inauguration has been tv broadcast all over the world for hours and I can ensure you that at least half of my friends in Italy have been watching it. Nothing like that has happened in the past. The benefits for the performers involved. go way beyond any gig pay.

Guess the Amp

.... now it's finished...

Here it is!

Yo Yo Ma's performance at the inauguration was prerecorded.

Right?

No, I dont think so. They are wearing earbuds, I think so they can hear each other and themselves.

At one point, Perlmans bow gets blown by the wind, and you can hear it or at least I can since I'm a fiddle player. :laugh:

If it were to be prerecorded, it would have sounded better (not that it didnt sound good). With those playing conditions, a perfect performance aint gonna happen. Perlman was struggling with the wind big time.

Yo Yo Ma's performance at the inauguration was prerecorded.

Right?

No, I dont think so. Perlman was struggling with the wind big time.

It sounded too good; more like a studio recording. I didn't see a microphone to pick up the violin.

But I don't doubt that you are correct, Mr. Cygnus. And that's exactly why I asked.

I figure that they were wearing IEMs to match their performance with the studio recording - and make it look as though they were playing live.

I'm sure there's a recording on YouTube or somewhere. I think I'll go back and check it out.

EDIT: Here it is... KLONK FOR YOUTUBE VIDEO

Thank you for your reply.

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

KLONK FOR YOUTUBE VIDEO[/url]

At 1:09, Perlman is out of tune.

At 1:47, Perlman plays a high A. You can hear the bow shaking from the wind.

At 2:33 Yo Yo flubs the grace note.

At 2:50, the balance is WAY off.

At 2:58 Perlman flubs the lick.

At 4:03, there is wind coming through one of the mics.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

KLONK FOR YOUTUBE VIDEO[/url]

At 1:09, Perlman is out of tune.

At 1:47, Perlman plays a high A. You can hear the bow shaking from the wind.

At 2:33 Yo Yo flubs the grace note.

At 2:50, the balance is WAY off.

At 2:58 Perlman flubs the lick.

At 4:03, there is wind coming through one of the mics.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

WOW!!

Mr. Cygnus, you DA MAN!!

I'm glad I asked. That seals it.

But... How 'bout Aretha's backing tracks? Were they prerecorded? :snax:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

But the load in was a b^&%

Yep. And the soundcheck was two weeks beforehand, so the call time was really early and they had a lot of time to kill in the greenroom.

Time was not the only thing they killed in the greenroom
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

[but... How 'bout Aretha's backing tracks? Were they prerecorded? :snax:

Definitely. Many orchestra musicians wouldnt pass the Secret Service screening. :laugh:

Orchestra musicians will NOT play for free, or reduced pay. They are the worst when it comes to stuff like that. They won't do sound checks or sit around etc. They are royal pains and cry like babies. They also have weather clauses and wont play in the cold. I was on tour one time with an orchestra and we had a chance to play on the Tonight show with Johnny Carson, for no pay (we had a gig the next day in LA). We voted and the musicians said NO. I voted yes, I would have LOVED to have done it.

ITGITC,

years ago I was at your stompin grounds, playing in Cary with the NC Symphony backin up a fella named Mike Cross. In the concert, the orchestra got up MIDSONG and left. :laugh: I kid you not, midsong. It wasnt that we were such pricks, the management insisted since staying onstage would have pushed us into overtime pay. He finished the gig alone.

I agree, the Inauguration gig is moreso an honor to most performers especially considering most of them are already paid.

Of course, it provides exposure to more higher powered gigs regardless of whether they need it or not.

Imagine that, in addition to picking up production work, Will.i.Am will be performing more private affairs. :laugh:

I didn't listen to the Perlman/Yo Yo Ma performance close enough to pick out the mistakes but in real-time, it sounded great.

Same deal with Aretha and the backing tracks. She sang the hell out of the song.

I'd rather not undo the beauty of what I heard with a more thorough examination. :):cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Archived