Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Wal pick-up problem

Phil W

Ack!

I have an intermittent problem on one of my Wal's active p/us. The poles are individually wired and under one of the strings the humbucker pole is occasionally silent (or maybe just much lower in volume). It's only occasional. If it happens, it usually happens when I plug in before a gig. I bang on the pick-up (after turning the volume down) and it goes back to normal then behaving fine for the rest of the gig - even for 4 hour gigs.

I know what you're thinking - it's not the battery - I've checked many times. I had a similar problem a decade ago and was advised to go to the Wal workshop where they are made and Pete there sorted it out - but I don't think he's still working.

I guess I should post this on a Wal forum or pop in to see Martin at Sei / The Bass Gallery but thought I'd post here just in case.

These are the details of the p/us described by Wal:

"ELECTRONIC FEATURES

WAL flat response, humbucking pick-ups; moulded in black ABS. with three point, spring mounted, height adjustment. These pick-ups contain four individual string- matched pick-ups, thus virtually eliminating imbalances, crosstalk and inter-modulation. Plated pole-pieces are adjustable with socket screwdriver provided.

WAL printed circuit electronic modules use high stability, closest tolerance components and graphite wiper pots, with push/pull gold contact switches. All controls are designed for ultra low noise, interference and distortion-free performance. Powered by a single 9-volt PP3 size battery, consumption is less than (1mA).

Balanced DI and transformer isolation provides clean, reliable and safe studio or stage mixer feed without the need for an external DI box.

Standard 1/4" jack output for amplifier feed. Insertion into this socket switches on electronics. A dummy or unconnected jack plug MUST be inserted when using DI output alone.

Pick-ups, P.C. Modules and output sockets are all interconnected via shake-proof, polarized connectors for easy removal and replacement. All cavities are screened against external electrical interference."

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your Wal is toast and instead of throwing it away for recycling you can send it to me.

Otherwise I think that posting the question on a Wal forum is the best way to get an answer since the electronics in Wals are very unique compared to other basses.

--->Tommi

maybe wal-mart can help?

Tom, seriously... you have a problem. You've been using other people's accounts for long enough. You need help, buddy. This needs to stop. We're here for you. All you need to do is accept the fact that you have a problem. Help is only a heartbeat away.

There's a guy on talkbass that knows everything about walls and used to work for them, might worth a check.

www.myspace.com/davidbassportugal

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

This may be the key to your problem:

"WAL flat response, humbucking pick-ups; moulded in black ABS. with three point, spring mounted, height adjustment. These pick-ups contain four individual string- matched pick-ups, thus virtually eliminating imbalances, crosstalk and inter-modulation. Plated pole-pieces are adjustable with socket screwdriver provided."

Sounds like one of those individual string-matched pick-ups has a loose or intermittent connection to the preamp. Not sure how those pickups are wired together under that soapbar assembly, but in any case I'd definitely recommend checking with Wal. The pickup may need to be either repaired or replaced.

Sorry that should be Paul Herman. Here is the advice I found on a Wal forum for a similar problem:

It's almost certainly that the lead for that pickup pole has come loose

from the multi-pin connector that attaches to the circuit board. I had

the exact same issue with one of my Wals. It is a very simple issue to

correct. You will need to remove the circuit board. Start by removing

the knobs, nuts and washers. You will then be able to pull the circuit

board out through the back of the bass. Once you get a clear look at

the multi-pin connector you'll be able to see both how it attaches to

the circuit board and how the individual leads attach to the

connector. The offending lead will probably pull right out as you are

removing the circuit board. Just reattach and you should be good to

go! Best of luck.

That sounds extremely scary and I think I'll have to play someone to do that.

Its not that scarey.

You probably have some set screws on the side of the knobs that will undo and then the knobs will just pull off.

Then nuts will be holding the pots in place. Undo them.

There will be screws holding the backplate on the rear of your bass, unscrew them and the whole lot should come out.

You should just see a dislodged plug.

Probably all that slapping and riding on rickety old LT busses.

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

Glad you have someone to do the fix.

Isn't here a Bordwell or Spector bass around that you can borrow in the meantime?

And as to earlier comments in the thread - I'm still amazed that people impersonate me like that. And at the same time, you all have immunity - any bad joke you make will be attributed to me!

(Nice one robb - wish I'd said that)

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Phil if you need a bass for a gig, let me know...

You can take either one the T-bass or the Spector, I'm due to change strings on the Spector but it sounds good nonetheless..

Maybe for you kind of setting the T-bass suits you more with the on/off active switch and familiar Jazz bass controls, Drop me an email and I'll take it with me on my way to work.

www.myspace.com/davidbassportugal

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

Archived