Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Descending Blues Licks

shniggens

Can someone explain to me the harmonics involved in making those cool descending blues runs like the beginning of "House Is A Rockin'" by Stevie Ray Vaughn?

I hear this kind of riff played all the time. What scale degrees are they generally played off of. Are they thirds? Sixths? Octaves?

My ear sucks.

Amateur Hack

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shniggens,

If you mean the octaves in the intro its a simple blues scale descending. In C, (I think the tune is in Bb but not sure ) it would be (from memory) C,Bb,G,F,Eb,C,Bb,G or something pretty close to that played in octaves.

Basically just a descending blues scale if I understand your question correctly.

Can someone explain to me the harmonics involved in making those cool descending blues runs like the beginning of "House Is A Rockin'" by Stevie Ray Vaughn?

I hear this kind of riff played all the time. What scale degrees are they generally played off of. Are they thirds? Sixths? Octaves?

My ear sucks.

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

The riff at the beginning is octaves running the blues scale.

The riff in the solo is 6ths.

Just picturing it in my mental keyboard, a believe it is, in straight 8ths, with the bold as beat 1...

Ab A Bb B G B Bb A F A Ab G E G F# F D F Eb E C

Reese will go on from there, but this gives you the basic lick that is used so much.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Thats right Mr.Nightime,

I used to love to play that riff in the solo, that old time signature riff. I often wondered where that riff came from. It sounds like it has a country or rock-abilly history.

lb

Just picturing it in my mental keyboard, a believe it is, in straight 8ths, with the bold as beat 1...

Reese will go on from there, but this gives you the basic lick that is used so much.

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Yeah, that's the V chord "turnaround". I'm familiar with that one.

What about the descending riff, like in the intro, or even the descending figure played after this turnaround riff in the solo.

It sounds more chorded to me. More than just ocatves

Amateur Hack

Nope, it's in C; Stevie Ray tuned down a half step for tone reasons.

Also, to make matters really confusing, Reese, as I recall reading, did tune his keyboards down a half step, except for the organ (!??!), so he would play (for instance) this song in B on the organ, but in C on his piano. WHY he would do that is beyond me; I can understand not putting a cycle regulator in his organ (that keeps it in tune regardless of the power as anything but 60cycles per second changes the tuning of the Hammond) -well, actually, no, I cant understand why he wouldnt do that- but purposely sabotaging yourself to be playing in two keys at once.I dont do blow, and I wouldnt have done it, and those guys were higher than kites back in the day! Oh..maybe thats WHY he did it!?

Anyway, the songs actually played in C.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Actually Tony, this song was on "In Step," after they got clean and sober. Hence the name of the album.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I studied the opening to House is Rockin for a couple of nights with "Transcribe!" slowdown software to try to get the opening.

I never could get it exactly right. It does sound close however if you play a descending blues scale in octaves and add the fifth in the middle. Example CGC, BbfBb, GDG, FCF, EbBbEb, DAD, CGC.

Make sure you add the fifth in the middle of the octave because that will give you the "sound" of Reese Wynans. Try that technique for example on a song like Pride and Joy. When you are wailing away in octaves and fifths, crushing every black note that is convenient, you can almost compete with the usual enthusiastic SRV guitar poseur. The only drawback for me is the next day my hands are sore as hell.

Good luck.

Archived