Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What's Your String Preference ?

tarsia

What's everybodys string preference, these days ?

I've went through what seems like 20 brands

Roto's, Boomers, T.I., Ken Smith, Elixir etc...

I like roundwounds & really wish D'Addario still made

the Slowound series ~ the tension & sound/feel are what I feel

like home on... & am I alone in the fact that I like the Silk

colored stuff at the tuning & bridge end ??? no silk looks generic to me ! Anybody know where I can still get Slowounds ???

I'm Todbass62 on MySpace

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've just put DR Black Beauties on my 5 & love them, so I've put a set on my Strat & Tele (Red Devils).

I have a set of DR HiBeams on the fretless too, so you could say that I like DR!!!! LOL

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

Currently I have Elixrs on the Warwick. I really like them but they are fraying down where I've used a pick. On my Guild I have the Marcus Miller strings which are pretty nice. Usually though I use good ol' Ernie Ball.

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

Im getting a jonas hellborg strings for christmas, I cant wait to slap them on one of my basses, maybe my EB3. Currently my Old Scrappy has flatwound ernie balls which really age well, I hated them when I put them on but they mellow out to a nice upright bass sound. A little like TI flats but a little more low mid centered and a little more tension. But with my band I need more high mid and high end so next string change Im going to Rotosound flats.

LaBella Stainless .130 on the electric. I love the growl and attack.

My Dragonfly has .125 tapewounds - but not for much longer. I'm going back to Bronze.

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

My shortscale les paul copy bass has black nylon Fender tapewounds on it. They are incredible on that bass. I have had the same set on it for YEARS and they are still fantastic. I will never ever string it with anything else unless fender stops making tapewounds.

My six string currently has Daddario Prosteels on it. The jury is still out on them because I haven't had a chance to try them with drums and guitars and whatnot just yet. But i dig them so far. Im desperate to find a set i like so i can stick with them and not have to do a complete setup every time i change strings.

Fretted active 4 - Elixir Nenoweb medium (45-105)

Fretted passive 5 - I'm still expirimenting but most recently I put on Smith Rock Master medium light (45-125)

Fretless passive 4 - La Bella Deep Talkin' Bass black nylon tape wound (60-115)

On the synapse fretless I'm driving the flats that came with the bass on the E and A string, and D'Addario ground wounds on the D,G, and C strings. Hybrid. I'm liking the bottom booty coupled with the high end snap.

Rounds are on the Cort Curbow fretless, flats on the Bass Collection fretless. Groundwounds on the Hohner B2AV fretted.

Carvin has the best price on the nylon tapewound LaBella's, but they don't sell the high C string. But I'm dying to try another set ever since the High C string gauge got beefed up to an appropriate number.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

I had been using Dean Markley Blue Steel's as a guitarist so when I started playing bass, I carried that over. Although they are very bright in tone, they last forever in my hands and stay in tune great.

The last set I bought were the Nickel Plated blue steel for my fretless and love them, but the NP ones seem to be hard to find which makes me wonder if they are discontinuing them. If they do, I'll probably try out some DR strings. That and Dean Markleys 7-string options are very limited which make me think I might be looking else where as well.

[Carvin] XB76WF - All Walnut 6-string fretless

[schecter] Stiletto Studio 5 Fretless | Stiletto Elite 5

[Ampeg] SVT3-Pro | SVT-410HLF

I'd go for DR highbeams. when they are no longer fresh they have a nice sound.... it's just that you have to break em in pretty hard and it takes a while. they get a too "funky" sound when they are fresh to my ears, and hey! I like funk!

On my Jazz bass-Chromes flats.

On my fretless- Chromes flats. I find the Chromes sound good and are durable.

On the 5 string fretted-DR Highbeams.

I actually prefer DR LoRiders, but got the Highbeams for free.

I have new 4 and 5 string sets of HighBeams-any one want to trade for LoRiders? :)

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

'75 Precision - Roto 66s

MIJ Jazz - DR Lo-riders ( I like these but I think I will be going back to the Elixers for this bass)

Schecter 5 - D' Addario XLs nickel, I will try something different when I change these strings. This bass has a rather dark voicing dure to it's mostly mohogany construction. The nickel strings don't have quite enough clarity.

Warmoth PJ - Had DR Black Beauties and I liked them but they seemed to die rather quickly. They are getting a set of Hi-Beams (stainless). This will be my first experience with Hi-Beams so the jury is out.

Fretless PJ - Elixer nanowebs, helps to reduce finger noise. (This bass is going to be converted back to fretted and will get Flats.)

Yamaha BB400 - TI Jazz Flats

Warwick Corvette - D'Addario Piccolo

MIM Jazz - This bass is being converted to fretless and will get the Elixers

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

D'Addarios for me -- I try other stuff occasionally, but I keep coming back.

XL nickel roundwounds on my Pedulla five string -- plenty of aggressive growl, but not too clanky or bright.

And right now I have a set of XL chrome flats on my '76 Fender J -- warm and woody sounding, those are gonna stay on there for awhile.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

I tried Infeld SuperAlloy strings on my 5. They are expensive, and have been pretty nice. I've used lots of DRs before - not sure what I'll be getting next (which will probably be some time in the winter). Could try the Infelds again, or maybe DR somethings, or something new. I've liked many strings that I've had and haven't found "the" string yet.

I have Dean Markley round core Roscoe Prestia strings on my BenLoy bass. They've been nice, but again I don't know that they are "the" string.

I've always been comfortable with Dean Markley, DR, and TI (or Infeld) quality.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

What's everybodys string preference, these days ?

I've went through what seems like 20 brands

Roto's, Boomers, T.I., Ken Smith, Elixir etc...

I like roundwounds & really wish D'Addario still made

the Slowound series ~ the tension & sound/feel are what I feel

like home on... & am I alone in the fact that I like the Silk

colored stuff at the tuning & bridge end ??? no silk looks generic to me ! Anybody know where I can still get Slowounds ???

I liked the slowounds, too, I might have a five string set kicking around if you want them (email me). I felt the Thomastik Jazz Rounds were similar, though the tension was a little lower (on both) than I like. My current favorite and most-gigged string (on my fretted basses) is the Thomastik Powerbass. I've tried their newer roundwound but the Powerbass rule.

1000 Upright Bass Links, Luthier Directory, Teacher Directory - http://www.gollihurmusic.com/links.cfm

[highlight] - Life is too short for bad tone - [/highlight]

I've been a DR user for many years now and have always found them to be musical and responsive.

MIA P-Bass - DR Highbeam Flats 45-105

MIM P-Bass - DR Low Riders 45-105

Highway One Jazz Bass - DR Highbeam Roundwounds 45-105

MIM Deluxe Active Jazz Bass - DR Highbeam Roundwounds 45-130

Squier Vintage Mod Fretless Jazz - DR Highbeam Roundwounds 45-105

pray peace, all love and unity

"There are only two kinds of music; good and bad."

~Duke Ellington~

A shout-out here to www.JustStrings.com -- great selection, great service and good prices.

I got two sets of D'Addario XLs for my five-string for $40, shipped. And I ordered them Monday and got them yesterday.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

Archived