Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What would you ask Metallica?

Matt Blackett

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Matt: feel free to edit these for grammar, etc...

CONCRETELY SPEAKING, what musical elements do you think were Metallica's main appeal before Load and after Load? What was the driving force behind Metallica's success in its first 10 years? What do you think is Metallica's main MUSICAL appeal nowadays?

What other musical genres are you interested in listening to and/or jamming on for your own pleasure? And rock bands current and old you'd like to metnion outside of the "hard-rock/heavy-metal" world? Any jazz, fusion, blues, other countries' folk music, underground, experimental, so-called avant-garde pop, electronica, classical music, contemporary classical music, hip hop? No Hannah Montana in your iPods? No love for Taylor Swift? LOL!!!

Have you ever considered a reunion or collaboration w/ Dave Mustaine or the Exodus guys?

How did Cliff Burton's presence, playing and musical input affect your music and interpersonal relationships?

I always liked Rocky George and Robert Trujillo's work on Suicidal Tendencies. What is Robert's function in Metallica, apart from obviously laying down the bass foundation? How much musical "freedom" and/or "input" does he have live and did he have during the recording process for Death Magnetic?

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

--from 'Beyond Good and Evil', by Friedrich Nietzsche

My MySpace Space

Though I thoroughly enjoyed this most recent release, and the back to basics sound that was presented, I along with many other people have criticized the production of the album, specifically, extensive use of compression. What is your take on the sonic characteristics of the album, and did you have any involvement with the mixing stage of the recording process?

Now you that you have shed the dead weight that is rock , do you think your fan base will return fully?

1997 PRS CE24, 1981 Greco MSV 850, 1991 Greco V 900, 2 2006 Dean Inferno Flying Vs, 1987 Gibson Flying V, 2000s Jackson Dinky/Soloist, 1992 Gibson Les Paul Studio,

Yo, Kirk. You owe me a guitar, dude! (Or a surfboard...) ;)

Seriously, I know you're a student of the instrument. Why is it that we haven't heard more neoclassical jazz stylings in Metallica? Also, why is it that the members aren't allowed to work on side projects? I understand that it was part of the reason as to why Jason Newsted left, among some of his past misgivings.

I mean, the Dream Theater members have done this for years, and yet, they are as solid as ever IMHO.

You and Rob should take some time off from Metallica, and make a jazz funk album. Maybe with the drummer for Mr. Bungle. Hell, let Mike Patton take care of the vocals and electronic noise (a la Fantomas, perhaps).

First of all-I have not listened to your whole new album, only to "The Day that Never Comes".... I thoroughly enjoyed the video especially since it does not seem to take a clear political stance, rather just show what can happen in a "day during wartime". I however, do not enjoy seeing bands "performing" in the desert for fun. Just kidding.

Here we go:

Many of your vids and songs seem to want to portray war from a soldier's perspective. "Disposable Heroes" takes what seems to be a political critique on the whole war phenomenon. Yet, One, For Whom the Bell Tolls, and the vid for your latest single seem to reflect the ambient of confusion soldiers are in. Do you have close friends or family members that have gone to war? Do you ever feel the need to discuss the (political, geo-political) reasons for certain wars in your songs? How do you feel you are connecting with soldiers in the current war? Do you ever wonder about what the political ramifications of your lyrics and videos can be--how can they be taken/interpreted especially by people involved in those topics/situations?

James: now that you're er... more... er... mature and have more resources than when you were a young fella, have you ever felt curious about studying music theory?

Do you guys ever get pissed at fans wanting you to write like this or that, etc.?

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

--from 'Beyond Good and Evil', by Friedrich Nietzsche

My MySpace Space

Why, instead of coming up with your own original arrangement of the traditional folk-song "Whisky In The Jar", did you choose to phone-it-in with a fairly straight cover of the innovative, genuinely original re-arrangement that Thin Lizzy had done of that song?

Not only that- how can you expect to be forgiven for the butchering-job you did on it? You turned a classic gem by true greats into abject CRAP!!

EDIT: Sorry, Matt- I don't expect you to pose that one! But it really is how I feel about that...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Why, instead of coming up with your own original arrangement of the traditional folk-song "Whisky In The Jar", did you choose to phone-it-in with a fairly straight cover of the innovative, genuinely original re-arrangement that Thin Lizzy had done of that song?

Not only that- how can you expect to be forgiven for the butchering-job you did on it? You turned a classic gem by true greats into abject CRAP!!

Apparently you didn't notice the other classic gems by true greats they butchered over the course of their careers. I'd say butchering classics is something Metallicas do best!

:D

Tell us what you really think Caevan ;)

:wave:

Hey, I did come back and edited it to be a little less harsh!

Sorry, Matt- I don't expect you to pose that one! But it really is how I feel about that...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

after hearing the new Cd i have to admit you have managed to return to your roots. after achieving and enjoying a certain comfortable level of success and the benefits it offers what has inspired you to come back like you did?

has Megadeth's recent ass kickin releases shown you it was time to get back in the game?

how hard is it to regain the hunger after achieving success?

was it hard to get into the mindset needed to record this Cd?

Why did you go commercial after the Black Album?

Do you remember me and Dave Hammlet from The Rehearsal Spot in Hayward?

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

Seriously, I know you're a student of the instrument. Why is it that we haven't heard more neoclassical jazz stylings in Metallica? Also, why is it that the members aren't allowed to work on side projects?

I second that, why not side projects? Seriously.

Rob Robitaille

Archived