Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Promising New Release?

Still Learning

I just watched the 4 minute video clonk here of James Taylors new album Covers and I think I'm going to add it to my collection. I watched a PBS interview a few days ago with J.T. promoting this album and I liked his take on doing takes "live" vs. "Pro-Tooling" them to death. Watch the vid and discuss...
When most people go to work, they work. When musicians go to work, they play. Which do you prefer?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got it. It's great, but then again I'm a huge fan. Nice vid....that shot of the SG Les Paul made me sick. I had the same one/same tailpiece. I should have never sold that one. JT always makes a great record. I still keep Hourglass on my drive and ref it all the time when trying to remember what a perfect mix sounds like. The drum sound they got on Carlos is to die for on that, as well as the vox and guitars. All done with an O2R. The new cd has some great cuts on it. I had forgotten what a wonderful tune Witchita Lineman was. Damn, Jimmy Webb can write a tune. I wish JT had of covered She Moves, Eyes Follow. Another JW composition that JT could do justice.

Oh....another plus for the new record....he used Jeff Babko on a tune!

I got it to put on my wife's iPod, and ended up putting on mine. Like linwood, I'm a fan as well. Always well crafted music played by masters. His version of "Witchita Lineman" is nice, never realized just how intricate the chord progression is on that song. First time I listened to "On Broadway" I really cranked it up. And I love that he played the Big Mama Thornton version of "Hound Dog".

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Archived