Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Quick Nord Question

Calumet

Are the Rhodes and Wurly samples in the Electro the same as in the Stage? I am considering an Electro for a back up Wurly sound in case my real Wurly takes a dive at some point and I want the best thing out there.

Thanks!

My band Thousand Houses: www.thousandhouses.com

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Rhodes samples are not the same. I don't know about the Wurly. As a Stage owner, I wish it had a particular Electro Rhodes sample that is very musical... But, alas, it's not available for the Stage. I can't tell you what it's called though...

The Stage samples are no slouches mind you. You get three different samples Rhodes Mark I, II, and V. Couple that with the amp sims, effects, and eq., and you can cover just about any rhodes sound you want or need.

aL

Gear: Yamaha MODX8, Mojo 61, NS2 73, C. Bechstein baby grand.

Depends on what you need. The Electro is cheaper, and as a backup unit, might be enough for what you want it for. That said, the Electro is a great board on its own and you might find yourself using it and leaving the real Wurly at home.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I suppose if all you're looking for is a rhodes and wurly sample, the electro should be fine. What you give up with the electro is amp sims, overdrive, reverb and I think the ring modulator.

The stage samples are more raw to my ears, and offer release samples which the electro does not have. You also have a lot more flexibility with the Stage, because of the additional effects and amp sims on the Stage. You can layer a couple of rhodes samples or do splits that the Electro can't do. Not to mention the other instruments and goodies simply not available on the Electro.

If you're only looking for Rhodes and Wurly samples and that's all you want, the Electro is very playable, and I suppose it would be the better choice from a cost benefit analysis.

aL

Gear: Yamaha MODX8, Mojo 61, NS2 73, C. Bechstein baby grand.

The Nord Electro does have Ring Mod, (very musical and fun IMO) and a very tasty over Drive, no reverb however. If your just looking for a back up for your wurly, dont see how you can go wrong with just an electro. If you can swing extra cash, you get splits, reverb, amp sims, delays and lots of other goodies in the stage. If you are interested in the stage, wait a bit, the EX models will be out very soon.

I use an electro2/61 for organ when I have to travel light and leave the XK-system at home. It's perfect for my needs - the overdrive is real easy to dial in, you can pretty much shape the sound with the EQ, and if you set the pre-sets right or fool with the buttons you don't miss drawbars. I like just 61 keys like the organ and even if I use the rhodes, wurli, or piano I find 61keys are plenty and I can always use the octave shift. I can't complain about the size and weight. You might also look at the rack version. I have not gone to a stage because I like the piano sound I already use, never use synth sounds and like the electro enough that I don't feel the need to look elsewhere. The stage is a fine board, but it does not answer any questions I have.
"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

• 2 weeks later...
Ive had a love/hate affair with the Stage, but my Electro is still with me! I actually prefer the EPs and the Clavinet on the Electro; the Stage does have release samples, and they add a nice touch of realism, but the Electros eps fit better in the mix for me. IMO the clavinet is superior on the Electro. As indicated, you do have ring mod, and overdrive on the Electro (just not the amp sims like on the Stage); but the Electro has its Q-shaping (presence/frequency I believe theyre called, Im not at home to confirm) features, which the Stage does not, and to me, that trumps the amp sims. The wah features are better on the Electro (for some reason they changed the autowah on the Stage, and it doesnt work like a true autowah), theyre more intuitive, and are much easier to deal with. Unlike the new Motif XS which seems to appear in every live performance on TV, you still dont see as many Stage keyboards as you do Electros. Youll dig it!
Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

The Electro has a very impressive Wurly sound and is probably my favorite other than the real thing. It is very expressive when you pummel it. I actually get more out of my Electro playing Wurly than I did with the Stage I owned about 2 months. Somehow the Electro's Wurly is more expressive to me. Also, the Electro has a smokin' Clav sound, great CP80 and of course a killer Hammond sound. Rhodes is not too shabby either! Overall, it is an amazingly musical instrument in a very lightweight package. My favorite gigging keyboard for many years.

I have been using an Electro 73 for about 5 years and my Stage 88 just got delivered today so I haven't had time to play it yet. If you're looking for just Wurly and you don't mind the light action I'd say go with the electro. As people have said, the wurly sounds great as do the other E.P.s Particularly the newer samples that clavia made available on their site.
Korg SV2, Nord Electro 5D, Gigperformer/lots of VSTs

Archived