Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hammond Sound

Jim_K

Can anyone recommend a Hammond VST or sample library that can accurate recreate the clean sound of a Hammond L series organ with leslie. I have NI's B4 and it really doesn't cut it.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim_K Keeper of the Shrine

www.lldom.blogspot.com

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mate,

You could be right... I wasn't sure if I wanted to type T or L... but I used to have an L series Hammond back in the 70s that I thought had the same sound as Mr Banks and I know that he had used a T but the point being, does anyone know of any good sources to recreate these sounds (with Leslie) without buying a Leslie.

Thanks,

Jim

www.lldom.blogspot.com

Hi Jim.

I don't think Banks was using real Leslies in the early 70s so it could have been any number of other rotary clones of the time as you can see in the Belgium TV concert. Also, he was using a T series organ by 1973 (you can spot it by the tabs that have a square shape rather than the rounder ones on the L). They sound quite similar though.

I havn't seen a L-emulation so far. But i wonder if it isn't possible to get close to the sound with the B4 if you choose a cleaner tonewheelset than the default one and lessen the keyklick. It might be easier to get closer with the VB3. As far as i remember from listening on the web a while ago it has a cleaner sound with more body.

Banks allways had the Leslie on slow and all the emulators are pretty good at that. It is the fast speed that is difficult to emulate it seems. I think he used a 760 but he might have used something else in the studio.

And we have to remember that we are listening to a recorded organ. Some EQing can make a big differens to the sound.

Thanks Guys....

I have some B3 sample disk for AKAI that I got in the 1990s... it has a couple of clean sounds recorded with SLOW leslie and sounds quite good... the issue is that most of the other sounds are like Jon Lord's distorted hammond sound and I was wondering if there was a bigger pallet of clean, slow leslie T or L series hammond sample disks..

I will work with the B4 some more but I haven't had much luck with the sound in the mix of the songs I am doing... I think I might try VB3...

I also found an old copy of AKAI Rotator (I picked it up for $7 on E-Bay) plugin that sounds a bit better than the B4's leslie emulation to me....

Thanks again and if anyone else has any suggestions, it is appreciated.

Jim

www.lldom.blogspot.com

Archived