Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Classic Rock - The Lamb Laid Down on MIDI

Jim_K

I am in the process of re-creating The Lamb Laid Down on Broadway on my home DAW using my own MIDI file performances to trigger virtual instruments. I am trying to use the same instruments and play the parts as close as possible to the original recordings. I have a few of the songs up on a website and try to describe the process (and toys) I used to make these music files.

If you get a few minutes to check it out and leave me some feedback, I would appreciate it (we all like feedback, no?).

Thanks in advance,

Jim

ps - The name of the site is: The Lamb Laid Down on MIDI and the URL is:

www.lldom.blogspot.com

Jim_K Keeper of the Shrine

www.lldom.blogspot.com

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's a website I found a few years ago that has MIDI for almost every major prog rock album of the era.

I'll listen to yours a bit later if time. Just doing a quick hit-and-run before starting a DAW session, during which I cannot have a browser running (eats up too many system resources).

I am someone who pays attention to detail in the MIDI that I create, and I spend over 40 hours a week on this activity, so I can well appreciate the effort it must have taken to recreate Lamb in MIDI. And FWIW, most of those prog-rock MIDI files I mentioned earlier are rather lame.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Thanks Guys for the feedback. I do appreciate hearing such positive comments (I don't mind constructive criticism either).

Mark... check out Lilywhite Lilith first.. it's the latest tune that I have completed. The music isn't my issue, it's the mixing that I have spent most of my efforts on.

Thanks and I look forward to your comments.

Jim

www.lldom.blogspot.com

Wow -- I only had time for "Lilywhite Lilith" for now, as my DAW will crash if I leave the browser up for more than a few minutes. I was just logging in quickly to place an order for something, and am glad I rechecked this post. A truly amazing job.

There are so many challenges compared to most pop material, and you nailed all of them (rubato, tempo changes, etc.). The stereo field is very convincing and the overall mix sounds very three-dimensional, The illusion is especially complete once layering Peter Gabriel's voice extracted from the original.

The only two things I notice off-hand are as follows:

1. The mellotron material is missing some artefacts of looping/etc. -- probably because you used Sampletron vs. M-Tron. It isn't really noticeable unless you're listening for it, as I was (primarily because I was curious, since both products have different strengths and Sampletron is still on 2-for-1 sale).

2. There is some brittleness to the high end of the top kit (cymbals, etc.). I suspect this is due to MP3 conversion/etc. It is less noticeable once the vocals are layered in.

The bass work and guitar work is especially impressive. I just did a project with Amplitude myself last night, and sort of recognised its "sound" so wasn't surprised to see it listed in your credits. The Prominy LPC has been on my wish list for some time (I have their CP80 library). This seals the deal :-).

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Wow. You did a marvelous job, man. I lived and breathed that record in high school (I was weird). The Lamia MIDI is really neat; Genesis was amazing at layering sounds (probably why I like to do that so much). I was listening to that album a few months ago and specifically noted the use of vibes on that tune.

Great work!

Thanks guys for taking the time to listen to my little project. Mark, I appreciate your honesty about the high end (cymbals), I thought so too but when I listen to the original, I hear alot of cymbals in the mix but not as brittle as you put it... I am going to adjust the mix a bit.

David, you know Nick D and you are collaborating with him on "CAGE". I am very impressed, must be alot of fun working with him. Doesn't he have some type of LAMB nashville project coming out soon, if not already?

Anyway, thanks again everyone for taking your valuable time to check and leave feedback to me. I hope you can help me with some other songs in the future.

Jim

www.lldom.blogspot.com

You mentioned Squids in your webpage, which reminds me of a great conversation we had with him on this list awhile back.

The occasion was his live concert of TLLDOB with Kevin Gilbert at Progfest '94.

That's as good an excuse as any to repost a link to the incredible video snippet I have from that show.

http://www.hotrodmotm.com/sounds/LambIT.mpg

Moe

---

David, you know Nick D and you are collaborating with him on "CAGE". I am very impressed, must be alot of fun working with him.

He's amazing. He and I toured together demoing Alesis' keys and electronic drums a few years back. He's been kind enough to play on my last few albums, and given his history it seemed only natural to ask him to do this one. :thu:

That take took us about 20 minutes on a V-drum kit... :eek:

Doesn't he have some type of LAMB nashville project coming out soon, if not already?

Not to the best of my knowledge. The only Lamb thing I know of that he did is the progfest project Moe just posted above.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Yeah...

Squids (Dave), I actually met him over the internet about 10 years ago when I was just doing GM version Genesis MIDI files (quite lame as someone mentioned). He asked me for some of my MIDI files of the LAMB and next thing I know, he sent me VINTAGE TIMETRAVELER (for free) and suggested I try using some of the real sounds instead of a soundcard. That was it, I WAS HOOKED, and he has been my pusher for quite a few years now (Timetraveler wasn't really free was it)?

Anyway, he is a good guy for a salesman and he is one of us who got to make a living out of music. Some of you may also be that gifted but alas, its been 9 to 5 for me for 25 years now.

888000000 - if you need any of the keyboard parts from the LAMB, let me know, I think I got most of them nailed down and would be more than happy to share a MIDI of the performance with you if ya want.

This is getting addicting to me as I progress with this project... each song I do, I keep raising the standard higher and I can't stand to listen to some of the songs I already posted... want to go back and redo some of them (mixing mostly)... but I want to move ahead as well. This will probably take me 10 years to complete the whole thing.

I want to thank you all for taking the time to listen and share your comments. If I can ever do anything for you, just let me know.

Jim

www.lldom.blogspot.com

• 2 months later...

For those of you following the project, The Lamb Laid Down on MIDI, I have posted the latest installment, Broadway Melody of 1974. Cool little tune with lotsa MELLOTRON sounds. Plus, this is the first song where I used Peter Gabriel's vocal track from the new boxset (it is awesome btw) which has the vocals in the center surround track isolated without any music, so NO BLEED THROUGH.

If you aren't familiar with this little project, it is an attempt to recreate the entire Lamb Lies Down on Broadway in MIDI but using the original instruement samples and effects that were used on the album when it was released in 1974. The entire mixes are simply audio captures of the homegrown, custom, MIDI files playing back in real time. There are NO audio tracks in the project, only midi performances triggering instrument samples being mixed in real time on my DAW. Well, there is one audio track, Gabriel's vocal lines.

If you get a few seconds, check it out (and some of the other tracks completed as well) at:

www.lldom.blogspot.com

I have a section where you can rate the tracks as well, so if you would be so kind as to take the time to rate the song, your feedback is invaluable to me.

Thanks,

Jim

PS - I have uploaded a Karoake version as well :)

www.lldom.blogspot.com

I got the box set last week - it's killer! I'm actually listening toi the surround mix of Carpet Crawlers as I type... :cool:

So far, the surround mix of Supper's Ready has been a major standout for me because the mix is beyond belief...but the Lamb is totally awesome as well, of course - especially what they did with the video that plays along with the surround tracks. There's all sorts of stuff from the slides from the tour to amazingly synced live video footage, and the album is packaged in a really cool little "book" with all the original text and pictures.

Get it. get it now. :thu::rawk:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Thanks Marzzz.... and Dave, the boxset is truly amazing. You can tell that Nick Davis had more raw tracks to play around with on The Lamb than the earlier albums. Is it true that FOXTROT was done on an 8 track? Problem with that is you need to burn too much of the mix ahead of time.

I think Nick did some interesting stuff on The Lamb (some new stuff, some old stuff gone) but the clarity of the mixes is what most intrigues me.

Jim

www.lldom.blogspot.com

Well thank you Trucks... doing this stuff is just one of those "reliving my early ears" things and I do enjoy the distraction to my complicated life this music provides me. I have been a fan of GENESIS since the first time I heard a MELLOTRON during the opening of Watcher of the Skys back in 1972 or 73 during the Toy Christmas benefit that WNEW sponsored.

Jim

www.lldom.blogspot.com

Archived