Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Modern Dream Organ

smanzella

Is there anybody in the forums who believes that maybe its time to update the B3 platform. When I say update, I mean things like:

1. Add more harmonic bars such as similar to models that have 11 harmonics as opposed to 9 harmonics. Certain Hammonds had this such as the x-66 and H-112. Also, certain analogue Wersi organs had 11 harmonic bars some of which were selectable for pitch.

2. More options for the percussion harmonic such as using the 4th and 5th.

3. Being able to select the waveform of the harmonic. Perhaps being able to select a square or saw tooth wave as opposed to just a sine wave.

Just some food for thought. This has been on my mind for a long time.

Yamaha CP-73, Hammond SK Pro 73, Yamaha MODX 7, Roland Fantom 06, Roland VK-8M, Yamaha FS1R

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know how much demand there would be for an organ with those features so it would raise the price some for all those who don't need/want it. I think there is a way to get what you want though. Using an organ like the XK-3c along with a module like the XM-2 you could tune the XM-2 up or down the necessary amount and use the appropriate drawbars to add the additional 2 harmonics (plus more if desired). You could also work out the necessary tuning for the percussion. I haven't tried adding harmonics (yet) but I have tuned the XK-3 and the XM-2 up and down a few Hz and controlled them with an XK-3c to simulate the models with a chorus generator. It sounds pretty nice.

The XK-3 and '3c have triangle waves available and the '3c also has sawtooth waves. I don't know, but I would guess that some clones have other wave types as well.

Where there is a will there is a way, Good Luck.

Everything you describe takes the Hammond sound into combo organ territory. So it's nothing we haven't really heard before.

In 1970 I bought a Farfisa Professional which had 9 different percussion pitches, 3 sets of waveforms, sustaining voices, and a mixer to control the balances of them all.

These days, you can use the alternate tonewheel waveform sets on some clones, or run a good combo organ VST.

Moe

---

The Korg CX-3 (newer version) has an extended drawbar feature called EX mode that provides the capability for both sets of 9 drawbars to act as one. So there is 18 harmonics for ya. Between that and some of the other deep edits available, I think that would satisfy many of the original poster's cravings.

As mentioned, XK3 and XK3c are also deep with editing capabilities. Some of the virtual B3s are likewise chock full of functionality not available on the original issue or other clones. Check these out and you may find that what you want has already been done.

Delirium,

Your taste in music, i.e., Franz Lambert is impeccable. The Wersi has now completely displaced the Hammond as the ultimate instrument. Hopefully, you'll treat us to many more examples of this magnificent overture.

Regards,

Musicale

I remember those Wersi organs from when I was a kid. Their demo tapes sounded great. They used to be sold a DIY kits. I would love to get my hands on some old Wersi analogue stuff.

Yamaha CP-73, Hammond SK Pro 73, Yamaha MODX 7, Roland Fantom 06, Roland VK-8M, Yamaha FS1R

Archived