Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My keyboard died at the gig! Who repairs old Korg CX-3's?

Nu2Keys

I got to the gig, set up like normal, but no sound from the Korg. It powers up and everything lights up, but no sound except clicking when the key clip knob is turned up. I took it apart yesterday and there is nothing that visually looks wrong. I used my ohmmeter to check connections, outputs, etc. and there is nothing shorted in the output. There is a fuse and it looks okay and its soldered to the power supply, and since I have power I assume its not the fuse. Does anyone repair old KB's or is it just time to upgrade?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would guess that if you're not getting sound at all, then one of the voltages from your power supply is not right.

Again, that's a guess.

With a schematic, it could be an easy fix for a repair facility.

I wouldn't trash the CX-3 without at least trying to get it repaired.

Good luck!

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

First thing I would try is seeing if a) controlling it via MIDI (does it have MIDI?) makes it sound, and then 2) if it sends MIDI to another unit. That can narrow down a lot.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I would check to make sure all the ribbon connectors are secure as well.

It can be very hard to get rid of an old friend, as I can attest when my N364 died. I did what I had to do to get it back working again. You have to ask yourself if it's worth it to you to keep it going, or if it's time for retirement. I almost retired mine, but in the end it was worth it to me to get it repaired.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/67/Grave_of_Otto_I,_Holy_Roman_Emperor.jpg

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

The CX3 first went on sale in 1979. It's almost 30. I think it's time to bury it and move on.

I did give a proper funeral.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Hell, you had it lying in state! Probably more pomp and circumstance than it deserves, if I may be so blunt... ;)

However, with gas prices shocking those of us in N.America (no sympathy from Europe/U.K. I know, who have always had significantly higher prices), a lot of folks are finding funds for gear buying to be drying up (or, more accurately, burning up). I can respect that, for folks that don't do this for a living and who aren't taking advantage of tax breaks for capital expenditures and the like... ;)

Quote by Sven Golly:

"a lot of folks are finding funds for gear buying to be drying up"

The local dealers don't want to.....deal, pardon the Pun. The last time I went to one of the Local/Yokals, they charged me LIST Price for a mic stand and boom attachment. $49.95! I had a gig that night and couldn't drive to my favorite regional dealer, who is 45 miles away. With gas prices it costs me $22 to $24 to go there and back. Needless to say the dealer that charged me list price wasn't trying real hard to win my business by charging me that price. That's the last time I ever set foot in his store. Another local dealer charged me $20.00 for a decent quality 15 foot shielded cable. What a bargain. :rolleyes:

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

After reading the positive user's reviews on that other forum, KLONK, I think I would consider getting the CX-3 repaired.

Although there are some here who say that because of its age, it's ready for the trash, I think that if it sounds good to you and you were currently making money gigging with it, it's surely worth it to have a technician look at it.

If the minimum charge for a guy to open it up and check out the power supply is $75 - $100 or so, that's a lot less than the price of a replacement, right?

Unless you have money burning a hole in your pocket, look into the cost of getting it repaired and hold onto that money you would have spent.

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

It'd be down right silly to trash a perfectly good instrument if it's a cheap fix. Yeah, it's 30 years old, the Leslie sim sucks and the keyclick is lame, but I remember putting a CX-3 on top of my B3 in 1979 and plugging it into my line input and being totally blown away by how it sounded through my Leslie. Considering how good this axe was 30 years ago and how good the Dynacord Leslie simulator was almost 20 years ago, we've waited a bloody long time to get our current selection of attractive clones.

Sven's probably right about that Korg authorized service stuff. This could be cheap and easy. If not, death should be pronounced by a qualified technician.

--wmp

To the OP, I have no idea where you're at in the USA, but can commend CAE Sound in San Mateo (town I grew up in). Peter Miller and his shop have been handling repairs, custom work and warranty work for many of the major Bay Area bands for decades.

Their site is www.caesound.com, might be worth contacting them first for an initial discussion.

Hope you get the axe fixed.

Tim

It's been a few years since I last confirmed this company is still doing business, but check with 'em:

Resurrection Electronics

Bob O Overton

7907 Lowdes Dr.

Austin, TX 78745

512-451-5900

bob-o@austin.rr.com

Replacement circuit board for SM304 key processor chips for Korg CX-3 & BX-3 organs. Purchases, refurbishes, & resells CX-3s & BX-3s.

the Leslie sim sucks and the keyclick is lame, but I remember putting a CX-3 on top of my B3 in 1979 and plugging it into my line input and being totally blown away by how it sounded through my Leslie.

Instant j geils and Uriah Heep. Forget the Phase Shifter Leslie and Vibrato/Chorus. Even w/ solid state leslies it was decent for rock. Couldn't do the Jimmy Smith tubular percussion but could do the short clipped percussion of 'Musta Got Lost' quite well and had great analog distortion. Three Dog Night's 'Live at the Forum' sounds, you name it, it sounded pretty good in its day.

Getting that 'Evil Ways' percussion was always the big drawback. It wasn't until the Voces and XB-2 and VK-7 that things got better in the 90s and this century is just plain awesome.

The Korg vintage sound:

After reading the positive user's reviews on that other forum, KLONK, I think I would consider getting the CX-3 repaired.

Sehnior GAS:

The CX-3 that the harmony central hordes are waxing rhapsodic about is not the CX-3 being discussed here.

The original CX-3 produced in the late 70's by Korg was an analogue device, and while absolutely state of the art for its time, doesn't hold a candle to the CX-3 currently being made, which is all digital.

While the original was a marvel of its time, and was absolutely beautiful once you peeled the nasty KORG vinyl letters off the back, it's been surpassed in every way.

Here's the original:

http://www.urbanmusic.com/CX-3.jpg

Now the newer model:

http://thumbnail.image.rakuten.co.jp/@0_mall/reckb/cabinet/brand_k/k8_cx3_1.jpg

Moe

---

Hmmmm... it's interesting that we've all assumed that the O.P. has an analog CX3, but he never said as much. He said he has an 'old' CX3, and as we all know, one person's 'old' is another person's 'recent'. ;)

Might be interesting to confirm exactly which CX3 he has... :thu:

He said he has an 'old' CX3, and as we all know, one person's 'old' is another person's 'recent'. ;)

Why, you are right! My guess is that all of us who assumed it was the analogue one are old farts who actually owned one at some point. Here's mine:

http://www.hotrodmotm.com/images/gallery/overhead.jpg

Moe

---

He said he has an 'old' CX3, and as we all know, one person's 'old' is another person's 'recent'. ;)

Why, you are right! My guess is that all of us who assumed it was the analogue one are old farts who actually owned one at some point.

True.

I was responding to the fact that the OP said that his keyboard died at the gig. Therefore, if it was good enough to be used at a current gig, then it was probably worth repairing.

We've come a long way with this technology. But sometimes it seems as though we should be a lot further along.

Maybe it's just me and I'm being impatient. :rawk:

Naaaaaaaaaaah.

:snax:

Why, you are right! My guess is that all of us who assumed it was the analogue one are old farts who actually owned one at some point. Here's mine:

Now that's what I call a keyboard setup!

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

Man, Moe has had some pretty sweet rigs over the years!

"Oh yeah, I've got two hands here." (Viv Savage)

"Mr. Blu... Mr. Blutarsky: Zero POINT zero." (Dean Vernon Wormer)

It's been a few years since I last confirmed this company is still doing business, but check with 'em:

Resurrection Electronics

Bob O Overton

7907 Lowdes Dr.

Austin, TX 78745

512-451-5900

bob-o@austin.rr.com

Replacement circuit board for SM304 key processor chips for Korg CX-3 & BX-3 organs. Purchases, refurbishes, & resells CX-3s & BX-3s.

I had the analog CX3 for several years and used to talk with Bob O quite a bit (this was pre-email days). He has been out of this business for quite awhile and don't believe he has any parts left. I had him do some work on my CX3 back in the late '80s or very early '90s before I swapped up to the Hammond XB2.

There is another source for the old CX and BX circuit boards. Check this link.

http://www.parastream.com/hardware/RP-SM304A.asp

I had an original CX-3 that did that too.

Mine was just some signal wires that had come loose after pounding it for 15 years. Tech soldered some signal wires and placed some foil under the knob/control area and I was good to go.

I eventually sold it on ebay and bought the next gen CX3.

(YES I still regret selling).

The old cx3 was modeled after an L100 (no foldback on upper registers?) and while it was warm and gooey, it lacked the ability to SCREAM in the upper registers.

Next gen CX3 was completely opposite - screamed, but not quite the same 'analog warmth' from the old one. FYI, I sold my next gen cx3 last year. I juat use an electro currently.

• 9 years later...

Resurrecting this ancient thread. I just landed a killer deal on an analog Korg CX3 but it is a project -- not all drawbars work, needs lots of cleaning, etc. I searched the forum and the web for repair/parts info. This thread was my favorite discussion on KC about fixing the CX3, and I thought it'd be helpful to annotate it with a few other resources it took me a bit of web-searching to find.

First, as noted, Parastream appears to be the best (only?) source for replacement parts:

http://www.parastream.com/repair/vintage_korg_bx3/

Second, someone who appears to be affiliated with Parastream (the owner?) has an awesome, old school html website with tons of great info about diagnosing and repairing these old CX3s and BX3s:

http://robertweatherford.com/bx3/index.htm

Finally, here is a great 2012 thread from the "Stomp Box Zone" forum by a guy in Germany who uses the thread as a journal as he makes substantial repairs to a BX3 and a CX3:

http://www.stompboxzone.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1031

Resurrecting this ancient thread.

and I thought it'd be helpful to annotate it with a few other resources it took me a bit of web-searching to find.

That's a great addition to the thread, thanks for doing this. Of course, the jaded part of me would suggest that only 1 in 1,000 people would actually search for this info before just posting... but I do appreciate the effort! :)

Oh, and the other jaded part of me is going to predict at least THREE people post onto this thread answering the OP, not even realizing it's a decade-old thread.

Let's watch, shall we? :snax:

Archived