Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Should Keyboard Corner be updated?

zephonic

Should the Keyboard Corner be updated?  

120 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Keyboard Corner be updated?

I've gotten so used to the look and feel here, that when I go to some other forum, THAT feels weird.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, because we all know that a forum is only effective if I can upload my own pictures... God knows a solid point can't be made without the right image/colour. :rolleyes:

Frankly, if this place turns into yet another Crackbook clone, I'm moving on. :thu:

Also, the forum functions fine, but it does look like 1999! Long in the tooth and all...

You're confusing style and substance.

I'm here for the latter, but it's not my forum.

Still, I honestly don't care how it looks and I've not found benefit in the pictures or even the stupid smileys :deadhorse::blah::thu::love::idea::rawk:

Or all those stellar text tools. Words'll do just fine unless I want to see a photo of a product or technique. I don't need to know what the people who post here look like, or what they want me to think they look like, or who they wish they looked like.

I just want the stored wisdom (variable though it is, there's actually a lot here) to be relatively easy to find (which--has anyone mentioned this?--it's not right now), and the process to be easy (excellent as is).

Sincerely,

"Long in the tooth and all"

Besides the search, the only other thing that really bugs me about this forum is that when large photos are inserted in a message, that whole page gets that wide, forcing me to scroll horizontally to read posts.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

A size limit on pics could fix that.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I 2nd the search engine interface, the old one before the last upgrade was much easier to use!

lb

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

There are certainly more full-featured forum systems out there (see http://www.forummatrix.org/ ), but this site appears to function well. Fancy bells and whistles are fun but it's the sharing and exchange of ideas that really count. Unless you get a lot of specific requests for features, I see no reason to switch.

That said, I wouldn't have minded getting a response (or acknowledgement)to my question about the last issue:

https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/1964142/page/1#Post1964142

Justsamantha's post asking for the riff from the Doors' Peace Frog and MaFunk's post asking for JZ's voicings in Birdland have reminded me of something I've wanted here for years:

A simple way of inserting brief snippets of music notation.

I'm envisioning a window you could open up (similarly to the way we add emoticons right now) to add a measure or two of single-staff or grand staff notation. I know there are work-arounds (like using Sibelius to generate a pdf to upload to a web hosting site, then link to it ...), but come on, it's a keyboard forum. Shouldn't there be a quick, easy way?

Oh, and I just thought of another thing. How about a way to search old threads?

Larry.

Larry,

That's a great idea. But it appears that up to this point, Musicplayer is just using standard third party forum software, and implementing whatever updates/fixes that the developer distributes. But to do what you suggest (which would be great), sounds like a custom job which I doubt that Musicplayer wants to pay for or deal with.

Larry,

to do what you suggest (which would be great), sounds like a custom job which I doubt that Musicplayer wants to pay for or deal with.

People could post midi files as attachments rather than uploading audio (or in addition to audio).

I think Silverlight will attract enough developers that we will see some advanced freeware midi controls for web sites and sharing.

Solution for the search:

Google for site:https://forums.musicplayer.com keyword

where keyword is of course what you want to search for. You can get better results that way.

Search on forums sucks pretty much universally, by the way ;).

I beg to differ. I've had no trouble with the search function at that other forum. It may not be the best around, but by golly, it sure kicks this one in the teeth. I've NEVER seen another search function this worthless. The google search does work, but it's ridiculous to expect people to go for a workaround like that when there are other much better functions on similar forums. How are they doing it?

"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face"

-Mike Tyson

I beg to differ. I've had no trouble with the search function at that other forum. It may not be the best around, but by golly, it sure kicks this one in the teeth. I've NEVER seen another search function this worthless. The google search does work, but it's ridiculous to expect people to go for a workaround like that when there are other much better functions on similar forums. How are they doing it?

That 'other' forum is running on much more substantial hardware than this. If the hardware for the MP forums was upgraded, the search function would work just as well as the other forum (opinions may differ, of course). The search function here has been deliberately neutered to ensure that the forums themselves are available as much as possible.

If MP and its owners would cough up a little cash for their online presence, this discussion likely would not be happening. It's a budget issue, folks.

(with apologies to Mr. Quinn and company for appearing to speak for them... I'm merely restating what has been openly stated by official employees of MP before, and applying my own informed reasoning)

Isn't there a financial relationship between this forum and Musician's Friend, or am I mistaken?

There doesn't appear to be (might make Sweetwater less likely to advertise, were that the case, wouldn't it?). No such relationship is indicated if you check the ownership trail...

According to the main Musicplayer.com website:

Music Player and Music Player Network are trademarks of New Bay Media, LLC. All material published on www.musicplayer.com is copyrighted © 2006 by New Bay Media, LLC. All rights reserved.

New Bay Media's website is here.

Info about their MI publishing division is here.

Overall, NB is owned by The Wicks Group (clonk here), which is an equity firm, meaning fire everyone that isn't essential, screw the customers, make shareholders happy. :rolleyes:

I guess if we want things to improve, maybe we should have invested with Wicks' Fund III... ;)

If the hardware for the MP forums was upgraded, the search function would work just as well as the other forum (opinions may differ, of course). The search function here has been deliberately neutered to ensure that the forums themselves are available as much as possible.

If MP and its owners would cough up a little cash for their online presence, this discussion likely would not be happening. It's a budget issue, folks.

That is the situation as I understand it as well.

Isn't there a financial relationship between this forum and Musician's Friend, or am I mistaken?

You are mistaken.

You might be thinking of the HC forum.

Bingo.

FWIW - those of you who are looking for someone to answer your questions/address your concerns, it probably won't happen here. As far as I know, no webmaster/owner/other responsible party reads through the forums looking for posts like this.

My suggestion would be to post your issues in the Member's Help forum.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Archived