Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Newbies and our "warm" welcome

DavidMPires

Now seriously... Of course, we can ALSO be polite and patient, and maybe it would help if, on the "front page" we post, or have a sticky note, with several basic rules of behaviour, out of pure common sense and politeness, as to, if simply, keep some peace and order around. I think it would help save a lot of trouble just to have certain guidelines (not to call them "rules") handy, since I do strongly believe no society would work without at least the smallest guidelines...

My humble 0,00001 newcomer cent :)

+1

Most of the forums have a sticky thread with rules and info to new comers, we only have that on the classified policy. While i don't want to see this lovely forum being spoiled by a first page with sticky threads and lots of rules for this and that, i think a small thread would give the newbies a good starting point, and we could have there a link to the most important threads (sorry Tim i can't remember the name of that thread you started).

www.myspace.com/davidbassportugal

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My advice to newbies:

1. Remember your grammar, punctuation, and spelling.

2. Be extremely humble.

3. Put off your first post until you are completely familiar with the forum's atmosphere.

4. Never, EVER put up a link. To anything. Ever.

Number 2 and 3. 3 in particular.

I do agree with Jeremy though. Hit the nail on the head even if it came off a bit grumpy. :D

Compassion is fine but are we to coddle and nurture and put up with idiocy in the name of compassion? Please.

This is an adult forum (for the most part) so act like one or face the consequences. Jeez.

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

It appears to me that most of these first post problems come from very young people who have had little, if any, training in writing skills. Is grammar and punctuation even taught in schools these days? I don't text, I can't read text language so I am pretty far removed from today's "technotalk". Spam? Now that's a whole different subject. I do feel somewhat sorry for the younger generations and their ability to converse with others.

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

I see resumes all of the time with terrible grammer and spelling. They don't get hired. Ever.

My daughter once sent me an e mail in texting style. I told her that her keyboard was broken and bought her a new (cheap) one. Led to a very good conversation.

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

I see resumes all of the time with terrible grammer and spelling. They don't get hired. Ever...

"Grammar." You're fired. ;)

I happen to be very good at grammar and speliing, but I don't hold it against those who aren't, we all have our gifts. Text-speak irritates me a bit, though.

I happen to be very good at grammar and speliing, but I don't hold it against those who aren't, we all have our gifts. Text-speak irritates me a bit, though.

"Spelling." You're fired. :D

This thread is gold.

A stiffy somewhere in the city sewer system...

"Spelling." You're fired. :D

This thread is gold.

Absolutely. Hilarious, even.

"Spelling." You're fired. :D...

Dang it! Though, to be fair, I'm a crappy typist. I can spell "spelling," but my fat fingers frequently betray me...

Always giving a warm welcome is the wat to go. First inpresstions are everything.

One thing I have noticed is that some people on the forum tend to bad mouth posts because they don`t personnely like something (Example) Short scale basses. Just because you don`t like something does not mean it sucks. These kind of things need to stop. One thing my old boss used to say was If you don`t have something constructive to say then shut up. It`s ok to express your opinion but that doesnt give you the right to be a smart a## express yourself as if you were face to face with the poster and remember what you say might get you punched in the mouth if they were standing in front of you.

I would like to see the forun make some new rules and add some things

1. You must post in the written word NO TEXTING.

2. Add a spell checker to the posting section.

3. Once someone has been proven to be a spammer stop them from being able to log on.

4. Maybe keep a list of new and old product reviews members can check out at there leasure.

This is just my opinion

Alembic SC Standard slim neck taper

Warrior Signature fretless

G&L L2000 Spalt top w/Maple fretboard

Ibanez SR500

Genz-Benz Neo-Pak 3.5

Two Genz-Benz Neox 1x12T cabs

Genz-Benz XB2 4x10 cab

Why should the forum be different than the real world?

If you walked into a room full of people having a conversation and starting yelling in teenage slang with a smirk on your face or saying, "look at me, look at me", what kind of reception would you get?

Word.

Also, I have strong suspicions that many of these more controversial or seemingly-stupid "newbies" are MP current or former (read-banned) members that enjoy yanking people's chains...

It has happened before (especially when Craig had his SSS Political forum here...)

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

Always giving a warm welcome is the wat to go. First inpresstions are everything.

One thing I have noticed is that some people on the forum tend to bad mouth posts because they don`t personnely like something (Example) Short scale basses. Just because you don`t like something does not mean it sucks. These kind of things need to stop. One thing my old boss used to say was If you don`t have something constructive to say then shut up. It`s ok to express your opinion but that doesnt give you the right to be a smart a## express yourself as if you were face to face with the poster and remember what you say might get you punched in the mouth if they were standing in front of you.

I would like to see the forun make some new rules and add some things

1. You must post in the written word NO TEXTING.

2. Add a spell checker to the posting section.

3. Once someone has been proven to be a spammer stop them from being able to log on.

4. Maybe keep a list of new and old product reviews members can check out at there leasure.

This is just my opinion

Alembic SC Standard slim neck taper

Warrior Signature fretless

G&L L2000 Spalt top w/Maple fretboard

Ibanez SR500

Genz-Benz Neo-Pak 3.5

Two Genz-Benz Neox 1x12T cabs

Genz-Benz XB2 4x10 cab

Doing this at the risk of being pilloried, because the last time I raised this issue I was viciously attacked by some of the buttsniffers around here:

Bassgodoftheuniverse427

Post #1

"Wut bass shud I by?"

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

Buttsniffers? :laugh:

BigRed - you're the coolest nerd around here buddy. Rock on.

This is the type of thread that keeps me coming back to this Forum. It is a little scary to jump in sometimes. You never know who will crucify you and be justified in doing so.

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

I don't know about that. I have learned a lot about how arrogant I was when I got here. I also learned to proof read my posts to see if they make any sense. It is easy to be misread when the post doesn't contain any tone of voice. I also learned that when I post I have to remember that you can't leave out the things you might think obvious to you. Readers can't read your mind through a post.

Readers can't read your mind through a post.

Which is why so many people wind up getting torched. If you're going to ask a question you need to provide all the details necessary for someone who is not you to be able to understand exactly what you're after. Even if it is something generic like, "I want to try new strings. I currently play XYZ brand at .45 - .105 gauge; they are stainless steel. I wouldn't mind a different brand, gauge, or material. I like the high end of my current strings but I'd like to have a fatter low end. Discuss."

I don't know about that. I have learned a lot about how arrogant I was when I got here. I also learned to proof read my posts to see if they make any sense. It is easy to be misread when the post doesn't contain any tone of voice. I also learned that when I post I have to remember that you can't leave out the things you might think obvious to you. Readers can't read your mind through a post.

I like to think that the guys here who are on the ball can read between the lines. Overexplaining really eats my lunch.

Take that last post for instance. The nerd reference could have totally been mistaken yes? But you didn't get offended now did you?

BTW - Arrogance is good mmmmgay? ;)

After all, I am better than everybody.

As a newbie here and a lurker, I thought I'd add my 2 cents.

I like the tone here, the use of full sentences and respect between members is what makes the atmosphere on this forum. This forum is - in my experience - very unique because of this.

As an adult (34) who is new to bass, I found the tone of this forum to be inviting, and it encouraged me to surf for past threads where more experienced members gave advice to other newbies. This advice really helped me get over some of the initial hurdles of a new instrument. I can assure you that without the respect and tone of this forum, I most likely would not have stuck around to soak up some of the insights on the board.

Glenn

With the gas prices and the weak dollar.....I think we should up the $.02 worth. It just isn't as valuable as it used to be.

One other question, how exactly do you spell someone new to the forum? Is it newbie, noobie, n00bie or noob?

How do you sign a computer screen?

I like to think that the guys here who are on the ball can read between the lines. Overexplaining really eats my lunch.

Take that last post for instance. The nerd reference could have totally been mistaken yes? But you didn't get offended now did you?

BTW - Arrogance is good mmmmgay? ;)

After all, I am better than everybody.

Anyone who has over 800 CD's is a nerd, so it fits! :laugh:

As a newbie here and a lurker, I thought I'd add my 2 cents.

I like the tone here, the use of full sentences and respect between members is what makes the atmosphere on this forum. This forum is - in my experience - very unique because of this.

As an adult (34) who is new to bass, I found the tone of this forum to be inviting, and it encouraged me to surf for past threads where more experienced members gave advice to other newbies. This advice really helped me get over some of the initial hurdles of a new instrument. I can assure you that without the respect and tone of this forum, I most likely would not have stuck around to soak up some of the insights on the board.

Glenn

STFU n00b!!!1!

(did I spell STFU right?)

Push the button Frank.

Archived