Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

looping pedal question

Creamer298

I currently have a Boss Me-50. I typically play guitar by myself, so I really want to be able to loop guitar parts. The Me-50 (as far as i can tell) only allows for about 2 seconds of loop at a time.

What are some good, not too expensive loop pedals?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hve the Digitech Jam Man but I am new to it also so I cannot give much advice. The Jam Man has no reverse loop which seems to be one of it's few negatives.

Jam Man comes with some built in prerecorded loops with bass, drums and keys I think...about 9 or 10 loops and of course you can make your own and overdub etc.

It sounds really good.

They are going for $299 now.

Yeah, the RC20 was the cheapest option I could find that would do what I wanted it to, basically record backing tracks to jam over, or to be able to concentrate on vocals. Having just one pedal do everything keeps the size down, but it is multifunctional and gets completicated at first, but once you get it down, it's heavenly and easy to use.

You can pick from some 30 or 40 very useable drum tracks, step in the tempo you want, record loops as long as your heart desires, then add multiple tracks over that if you want, and you can save up to ten or more of your tracks (I don't remember, I'm not home right now).

Here's a real amateur demo of my RC-20, I'm not much of a guitarist, but you should check the Boss site, they have far superior demos. I found it's really helped me progress though, the only pedal I really need!

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=697283&content=videos&vidID=54595

www.myspace.com/darcyhoover

Good point Red.

But limitations are sometimes better for better music.

The DL4 is such a great delay modeler. The loop time can be too short for a slow blues loop and that is the real drawback with that one.

Yes, I agree. It also means I can't loop 32 bar standards except at bebop tempo. Looping tunes is great for practice although shorter loops usually work better in gig/recording situations.

If you are looking for a looper that saves what you've played it would be hard to go wrong with one of the Boss RC models.

If you just want something to use as a live looper, and aren't bothered whether it saves or not you should have a look at an Akai Headrush. Very easy to use and allows for sound on sound overdubs. It also has to great delays in the same pedal.

Y'know, a "different drummer" alternative here is the 'Lo-Fi Loop Junky' (Sp?) from Z. Vex effects. It is simple to use and keeps your loop untill its recorded over; it is all-analog; it allows for some unusual modulation of the repeating loop...

However, it is NOT capable of sound-on-sound 'overdubs', other than repeating your freshly-looped line while you play over it. As its name implies, it has a decidedly low-fidelity, wonky, even weird sound that is reminiscent of a vintage phonograph or electronic-megaphone; kinda crystalline and flinty, if that makes any sense.

Strange as that seems upon reading, it actually sounds very good in use, with the lo-fi and wobbly loop-repeats going underneath your 'live' playing. A good friend of mine had one, and I really want one. I'd want to have it along with a more conventional, digital, 'hi-fi' looper capable of multiple loops, though.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Line 6 came out w/ a new looper pedal, I think w/ amp models. I'd SERIOUSLY consider it and test drive it if I were looking for a looper.

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

--from 'Beyond Good and Evil', by Friedrich Nietzsche

My MySpace Space

Archived