Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NBA 2008-2009 Thread

Dave Bryce

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
no way the Magic shoot that well the rest of the game, right?

It's kinda what they do.

They also turn the ball over a lot at inopportune moments.

I have been impressed with the Lakers' defense so far, even tonight when Orlando was getting to the rim and making shots.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

no way the Magic shoot that well the rest of the game, right?

The Magic were shooting out of their mind. Wow. Great game by the Magic. I thought the Lakers played well, though, but it's hard to stop a team that's shooting out of their mind.

Still, if you are lucking Fakers fan, you gotta be feeling pretty good. It's doubtful Orlando's gonna shoot that high of a percentage again, especially after the lucking Fakers make their adjustments. And despite that shooting percentage, it was still a close competitive game.

He was quite popular with the Olympic team as well.
So was Karl Malone.

Nice cherry-picking the intent of the post.

LOL - that doesn't sound defensive or anything. :)

I'll be honest, every time I've seen Kobe talking or whatever off the court this season, he seems fine. I know that in reality, I can't judge what he's like based on what he seems like the few hours I've seen him on TV. It reminds me of people who base their impressions of an actor based on a character they play. If I were an NBA player, I'd be working the refs as much as I could, too. I wish the game wasn't played that way, but there you go. I'm impressed by Kobe's playing, and I'm pretty sure he used to be a dick (even Phil Jackson said things about their first go round together), but I'm not quite so sure if he is now. I also realize that there's a certain self-assuredness that comes with the job. If you don't think you're great, you'll probably never get to the top.

As far as what I think of Derek Fisher, OTOH

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ehhh, just slightly defensive! :D;)

Yeah, I agree with you there about Kobe. As you know, I'm not the biggest Kobe fan in terms of personality, although I am starting to like him more. As a player? Easily one of the greats. And as you say, the greats have some self-assuredness. You wouldn't be great otherwise. That's just the way it's gotta be if you're gonna be at that elite level.

To those who take the Orlando's super hot shooting as an indication that they can't really hang in this series, remember how close they came to winning game 2 on a dismal shooting night.

If games 2 and 3 are any indication, these teams are pretty closely matched.

The Lakers edge, for me, comes down to Kobe, who didn't get it done last night (man, the last/only time I saw Jordan fritz and fumble in a big game like that was against Orlando during the half-season of his return--it was the first time I ever used the word "human" to describe him...)

But more: Orlando won't win because Dwight Howard is not a go-to offensive player. He's a long way off, imo. Therefore, the Magic don't have a go-to play like the Lakers do. What they have is a wealth of gifted perimeter players and a stud offensive rebounder. That combo should keep every game interesting, if nothing else.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Phil Jackson says refs blew call at the end of Game 2

Jackson said Lakers center Pau Gasol should have been called for goaltending on Orlando guard Courtney Lee's blown layup in the final second of regulation in Game 2 on Sunday night.

Interesting. :idea:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Oh how far the east has fallen. You knew things were going bad when Detroit traded for Iverson.

I thought replacing Larry Brown after one year for Isiah Thomas and paying Brown a two-year 10 million a year buyout was the East's Declaration of Independence from the NBA and all pro sports.

To those who take the Orlando's super hot shooting as an indication that they can't really hang in this series, remember how close they came to winning game 2 on a dismal shooting night.

If games 2 and 3 are any indication, these teams are pretty closely matched.

There has never been any doubt in my mind. Orlando is talented and resilient and young and work well together. I think much of it will come down to experience. I think the Lakers will win this, but I anybody who thinks this is a complete gimme is wrong. I believe what will probably happen is that the Lakers will win one in Orlando, and need to come back to LA to close out the series.

I don't think Orlando will shoot 75% in a half again. But that doesn't mean they can't hang with the Lakers. What I'm saying is that they shot lights out and it was *still* a close, competitive game.

Also, as I said before, if Orlando can keep their team together, they're going to be around for a long time. They're talented and are going to get better. They have several people who can shoot really well. Dwight Howard is already really good and is only going to get better.

Oh how far the east has fallen. You knew things were going bad when Detroit traded for Iverson.

???

I dunno. If Orlando represents the East, I'd say they look pretty damn good. See my post above.

Phil Jackson says refs blew call at the end of Game 2

Jackson said Lakers center Pau Gasol should have been called for goaltending on Orlando guard Courtney Lee's blown layup in the final second of regulation in Game 2 on Sunday night.

Interesting. :idea:

dB

I heard that too. And I believe he was right. The shot wasn't going in regardless, but I believe that was a missed call. And they missed a goaltending call against Howard too. Evens out, I suppose.

Oh well. This one is on Kobe.

You could look at it that way, because he certainly missed a lot of shots -- some of them critical -- in the second half; or you could credit Kobe's 21 first-half points for keeping the Lakers in the game at all when the Magic were shooting a Finals record 75 percent.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Fast Facts

The Magic picked up their first NBA Finals win in franchise history, improving to 1-6 all-time.

The Magic shot a Finals record 62.5 percent from the floor.

The Lakers tied an NBA record by losing their seventh straight Finals game on the road. The Fort Wayne Pistons lost seven straight from 1955-56. (Source)

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

The Magic came through and pulled off a win at home.

Yet, if Kobe sinks his free throws and a few other shots, the game goes the other way.

I hope the Magic shooting streak continues in order to make games 4 and 5 competitive.

When Dwight Howard's offense gets better in the low post (coordination) and he develops a short jumper to go along with his dunks and defense, he will be a monster. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

When Dwight Howard's offense gets better in the low post (coordination) and he develops a short jumper to go along with his dunks and defense, he will be a monster. :cool:

I'm a bit surprised he doesn't have a jumper, he's been money at the free throw line throughout the playoffs. He's technically a bad shooter but has something going on there.

I'm still thinking 5 games until I see the Magic win another.
rotflol - that's kind of odds on, isn't it?

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Archived