Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NBA 2008-2009 Thread

Dave Bryce

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lakers dodge a bullet tonight. I speak of course of Courtney Lee's inability to make that alley opp lay in at the end of regulation.

I think there's a lot of competitive basketball left in the series, but, in effect, barring something unforeseen, the Lakers won the series tonight. It could go 5, 6 or 7. Probably 6, with a big close out game at home.

The Magic were a little infuriating tonight, with TOs and poor offensive sets. Howard has one post move--he gets it in the low left box. He takes three or four seconds to get his butt whirred up. Cut cuts across the lane and shoots the running hook. Dwight needs McHale's remedial "keep the ball up" 101 class, 'cause he is getting stripped way too much.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Lakers dodge a bullet tonight. I speak of course of Courtney Lee's inability to make that alley opp lay in at the end of regulation.

It's funny how so much of basketball comes down to what happens at the precise moment that regulation ends.

Champions make their own luck -- like D-Fish's 0.4 shot we were talking about a page or two back -- and those who don't capitalize on opportunity usually go home.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Funny thing is, not once during the entire game was there any doubt in my mind that the Lakers were going to win. And it was clear the players and coaches felt the same. A close game, certainly, but NEVER in doubt.

Go Lakers!!!!

That was disappointing. Orlando had numerous chances to win, but they just plain failed to execute when they needed to step up.

Yep.

Not quite ready for prime time.

They played better than they did in game 1, but that's really nothing to be proud of. I've seen JV teams play better than they did in game 1.

In other related:

How about Jack Nicholson jumping up out of his seat to yell at the officials?! That was hilarious.

Oh, and Steadyb and Steve and Geoff and Dave and so on... see this news today?

NBA commissioner David Stern announced that Los Angeles will host the 2011 All-Star game.

That could be really fun. :thu:

What's the All-Star game??

Perfect play called by Stan Van Panic.. The rookie couldn't execute, and the shot was missed. You know what that means..

The Magic aren't going to win 4 out of the next 5 games. Series over. Kobe wins his 1st championship series(without Shaq-diesel)

Ok, time to move onto the NFL.

TROLL . . . ish.

Orl needs to win the next two to shift a little pressure back to the Lakers. If they do that, then the series will have some spark again.

Will it? You know the odds as well as anyone: a total of three teams that were down 2-0 in a Finals came back and won. That means over 94% of them... didn't. And need I mention the 100% track record of Phil Jackson teams that take a 1-0 lead, much less a 2-0 lead?

But they play the games for a reason. I'd be shocked if Orlando didn't take the next game at home. My prediction of "Lakers in 5" was based as follows:

Game 1: Lakers

Game 2: Lakers

Game 3: Magic

Game 4: Lakers

Game 5: Lakers

So, again, I do expect if not game 3 then game 4 to be Orlando's. I didn't predict a sweep for a reason. Either way, we still have at least two hopefully good games of basketball left before my brain moves over to the NFL. :)

Doog, I predicted Lakers in 6 before the series started, and I'll stick with that. My Point was that IF there is to be some spark in the series, Orl needs to win 3 and 4 so at least there is the possibility of a three game home sweep (which, ahem, Detroit did quite conclusively against Phil's Lakers not so very long ago...)

If Orl wins 3 and 4 (and I am not predicting they will) then, yes, there would be some pressure on the Lakers in game 5.

My Point was that IF there is to be some spark in the series, Orl needs to win 3 and 4 so at least there is the possibility of a three game home sweep (which, ahem, Detroit did quite conclusively against Phil's Lakers not so very long ago...)

Ah, but we'd lost game 1 of that series, whereas when we win game 1, we're golden. Don't you know that superstition and statistical analysis have to combine in ways that meet my personal agenda?

I hope the Magic haven't been lulled to sleep. It will be a statistical nightmare for them if Kobe goes ballistic and drops 50 points or more tomorrow night on their home court. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

for the haters:

I thought Kobe's play near the end of regulation was out of character for this season. He had at least two wide open 3 point shooters (Ariza asking for it) and instead tried to draw a foul against 3 defenders. Not a smart basketball play considering the clock was winding down.

Go Lakers!

Archived