Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NBA 2008-2009 Thread

Dave Bryce

but seriously, a 50 game schedule would allow teams to develop for the playoffs with less injuries. however, I do enjoy all the games.

I agree, 50 games, and 5 for the first round playoffs would be so much better. Almost no one I know even watches the NBA before Christmas, save for the occasional matchup or actually going to a game.

According to Phil Jackson, you couldn't have a real NBA champ with a 50 game season
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I heard the great windbag Cowherd on ESPN radio today, talking about a 3 game 1st round.

That guy will spend half his morning show making a point about one thing. Wow. I guess it's easier to do a morning show that way, riding on one idea.

but seriously, a 50 game schedule would allow teams to develop for the playoffs with less injuries. however, I do enjoy all the games.

I agree, 50 games, and 5 for the first round playoffs would be so much better. Almost no one I know even watches the NBA before Christmas, save for the occasional matchup or actually going to a game.

Yep. That's why I haven't showed in this thread until now. ;)

When it comes to basketball, both college and pro, I tune in around March Madness and the playoffs respectively.

While I root for my home team, I usually attend a Wizard games dependent upon their opponent. :laugh:

Otherwise, I would agree with aforementioned season and playoff format for pro basketball. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I heard the great windbag Cowherd on ESPN radio today, talking about a 3 game 1st round.

That guy will spend half his morning show making a point about one thing. Wow. I guess it's easier to do a morning show that way, riding on one idea.

Yep, for him it's an all front runners format.. Lakers all damn day. Patriot's...all damn day. Belicheck or Brady...all damn day. Dallas & Romo etc..etc..etc.

TROLL . . . ish.

According to Phil Jackson, you couldn't have a real NBA champ with a 50 game season

So what's Phil' idea for a more lean yet effective season? I remember players all the way back to Kareem calling for a much shorter season.

TROLL . . . ish.

So what's Phil' idea for a more lean yet effective season? I remember players all the way back to Kareem calling for a much shorter season.

I believe he also felt that a 60-game season would be better and result in less injuries. I've never heard him say the above quote, just that he felt that the season as it stood now should be shortened. When you count the post-season, exhibition games, etc., it's so ridiciulously long...

I suggested a few: Tyson Chandler is a good defensive center. Chris Kaman is a true center, and pretty good too. Brook Lopez is going to be a good center. An underrated true center in the NBA is Samuel Dalembert. Bynum. Oden is true center but he hasn't proven anything yet. Andrew Bogut, anyone? Not all that great, but a true center...

There's more but not many more worth mentioning.

Sorry, I must have missed that post.

Slim pickings, in any case.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I suggested a few: Tyson Chandler is a good defensive center. Chris Kaman is a true center, and pretty good too. Brook Lopez is going to be a good center. An underrated true center in the NBA is Samuel Dalembert. Bynum. Oden is true center but he hasn't proven anything yet. Andrew Bogut, anyone? Not all that great, but a true center...

There's more but not many more worth mentioning.

Sorry, I must have missed that post.

Slim pickings, in any case.

No doubt

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

I'll be rooting for Orlando, mostly--odd--because I'd love to see Anthony Johnson get a ring...

...But the Lakers are going to win this series. I feel pretty certain of this. Lakers will win in six.

Everyone talks about Orlando's offense going inside out, about Howard passing out of double teams to open three point shooters. Goodness, that's hardly what I saw. Howard is a black hole in the paint--like McHale without the footwork or the ability to wheel with the ball high high above his head. Most of the threes I saw Orlando hit in the halfcourt sets came off of Turkoglu penetration and ball rotation. Great permimeter ball movement against Cleveland. I still think the length of Ariza and Odom will make it a little harder for Orl to get as many open threes.

And while Orl presents some matchup problems for anyone, how do we think Orlando themselves will be matching up with Gasol? Lewis can't guard him. That would be a joke.

Thank you Dan for cementing the outcome.

You'd better hope they win, Steady....

They're currently sub-.500 in the Finals... :eek:

That's right.

They've been involved in 29 Finals in team history.

They've lost 15 of them.

Which means they're currently 14-15 in Finals series.

What's even worse is, they're 9-14 since moving to LA... :freak:

By comparison (since you LOVE comparing....)

The Celtics, in their history, are 17-3 in the Finals, and only two of those losses were at the hands of the Lakers - the showtime Lakers (a team I can actually respect, as opposed to the current iteration...) back in the 80's...

As of right now, they're on the verge of being the Dallas Cowboys of basketball - always flashy, always a sexy pick to win it all, but it's been a while since they lived up to the billing... :D

Barack Obama was on his way to the Marine One helicopter on the South Lawn on Tuesday when a reporter shouted a question. The topic: Who is going to win the NBA championship, the Los Angeles Lakers or the Orlando Magic?

Said the smiling president of the best-of-seven series: "Lakers in six, I think." The series begins Thursday.

===

So basically, if you're against the Lakers, you're against the president, you're anti-American, and need to immediately move to some country where basketball has never been played.

GO LAKERS

The Celtics, in their history, are 17-3 in the Finals

You guys have only been to the Finals 20 times? No wonder you're so sad. Come back when you get a little experience at this game, will ya?

Funny thing, we've won more than you, in far fewer tries.

Especially if you factor in that little move from Minneapolis...

Since you guys are from LA and all, you wouldn't have given a rip who the Lakers were back then, so those titles shouldn't count for you. :D

So the Magic players say Jameer Nelson will be playing in the finals. False grail, imo. How often have you seen players spring to life after 4 months of inactivity and be all up to speed? Answer: never. It takes three or four weeks to get up to speed.

If he plays at all, I think it will be very sparingly. Why would SVG mess with a rotation that has been successful?

I haven't been nearly as impressed with Rafer Alston on the Magic as I was with Rafer Alston on the Rockets. Even so, Nelson is not going to up the point play of this team.

Orlando is clearly going to be an upper echelon contender for quite a while. In Alston, they have another bargaining chip.

this was my favorite Keyboard Corner Forum Hang moment...Derek Fisher's .4 shot:

That was one of the greatest moments of MY ENTIRE LIFE. It was extra great being there with you, Ken, Geoff, dB, and whoever else was there (my brain went into some weird delirium mode after that and I don't remember much). In fact, I jumped so high when that shot went in that I cracked my head on a suspended TV monitor, and really didn't care. :D

Mickael Pietrus's Plan for Guarding Kobe

"The only thing I can do is try to minimize his touches in the fourth quarter," Pietrus said, according to the Sentinel. "He's a tremendous player and those guys you can not stop them. So maybe I can say, 'Hey, stop, Kobe! Yo! Stop!' Maybe that's the only way I can stop him. 'Stop for a minute!'"

===

Ya know, that might work. Maybe if you just nicely ask him, he'll stop scoring at will. I don't know that anyone has taken this approach before. Good call, Mickael.

In related news, Pietrus is switching from his shows he's worn all season to a pair of Nike Jordans. Why? The shoes he's been wearing are Kobe Bryant models. I guess he didn't feel right about that. :laugh:

this was my favorite Keyboard Corner Forum Hang moment...Derek Fisher's .4 shot:

That was really fun!!!!!!!

I knew that the Lakers would go to Fisher.

Jeff leapt up and banged his head on a TV. Someone that I didn't know started hugging me while yelling. Everyone is going nuts. I look over at dB and he's slumped over as if someone had just kicked him in the goodies.

That was one of the greatest moments of MY ENTIRE LIFE. It was extra great being there with you, Ken, Geoff, dB, and whoever else was there (my brain went into some weird delirium mode after that and I don't remember much). In fact, I jumped so high when that shot went in that I cracked my head on a suspended TV monitor, and really didn't care. :D

That moment was like VE Day in that bar! :D

The cheers were almost deafening, and my voice was part of the chorus.

That was really fun!!!!!!!

I knew that the Lakers would go to Fisher.

In fact, I believe you turned to me and said that just before it happened.

I was alone in my hate that night.

It's too bad you can't join us for a game, John. I really enjoyed hanging out with you, Dan, and Jan in NYC a half-dozen years ago.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

So the Magic players say Jameer Nelson will be playing in the finals. False grail, imo. How often have you seen players spring to life after 4 months of inactivity and be all up to speed? Answer: never. It takes three or four weeks to get up to speed.

SVG said as much in an interview, recognizing that he'll be playing limited minutes and will not even be close to up to speed.

Anybody wanna try to hang for Game 2 on Sunday?

dB

I do, but I already have plans with my parents for Father's Day. I think last time we tried this, I couldn't because of Mother's Day. Do you know what time the game is on Sunday?

I can hang on Thursday (tomorrow), but that may not be practical for everyone.

Archived