Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

NEW : Roland Juno-Stage

EdMusic

The past wasn't that glorious. The Jupiter 8 didn't sell well, and these were "thin" Japanese knock-off synths compared to honest Made In the USA stuff like Oberheim, ARP and Moog which were much fatter.

Depends on which past you are remembering!

Jupiter 8 was a monstrous synth and every bit the equal of US Prophet and Oberheims.

The System 700 contains the finest step sequencer ever made.

Early analogue drum machines are still prized - TR 808, 909.

Jupiter 4, 6, and MKS-80 weren't exactly slackers either.

MKS-20 / SA synthesis - innovative, still sound great, iconic piano sound of the 80s

D-50 - rescued us from DX7 hell.

I don't care personally for their cheap stuff much either, but even they have a good sound which stomps many of the VAs out there today. Some of their cheap throwaway stuff has spawned entire genres of music (303 - say no more!)

So yeah, I'd go with glorious. I was a Roland fanboy until they started endlessly recycling their rompler stuff - they lost me after the JV-80.

Moe

---

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was a Roland fanboy until they started endlessly recycling their rompler stuff - they lost me after the JV-80.

Hey, I lasted a little longer. They lost me at the XP-50 stage!

aL

Gear: Yamaha MODX8, Mojo 61, NS2 73, C. Bechstein baby grand.

Hey, the mashine looks very cool!

Finally, a Roland with a footswitch to up/down patches - the reason I wasn't interested in Fantoms. 76 keys- very cool. Lightweight - awesome.

Click track output+'USB backing tracks'. Does this mean I can lose the laptop? A dream come true, if implemented properly.

If what they mean by 'USB backing tracks' is functionality which allows to play back midi/audio sequences while browsing/switching through patch and perfomance modes - it's very, very good.

Stage: MOX6, V-machine, and Roland AX7

Rolls PM351 for IEMs.

Home/recording: Roland FP4, a few guitars

It will fill a niche. There are plenty of weekend warriors that don't mess too much with the presets and will load a couple SRX cards in (Ultimate Keys and Platinum) and have a nice gigging board.

My only real question: At which NAMM will Roland announce an ARX board (or boards) that repackages the JV expansion boards for another round?

USB is just the interface for media that you can play backing tracks. I wonder about how good that can be, even most commercial backing tracks (depending on who you get them from) have to be edited. Also, General Midi tracks, even if they work, can get boring in short order. There are so many sounds available in most romplers today, who would want to be stuck with just General Midi sounds?

Having a USB interface is a good idea, especially if you can store edited patches, system setup info, etc.

It would be nice to know how much this new unit is going to cost, then we could see if its a good value or not. From the specs, it sounds like its a nice setup, especially if you gig and don't want to spend a fortune on a KB.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Even for what they were, the Juno-series of old had something unique about them. The recent spate of nostalgic Juno name resurrections leave me wondering just what they heck my fellow marketing hacks are thinking. It's all repackaging of the Fantom as if it was "new"-they should have LONG made that move. I think folks would have more respect for it.

Yamaha (Motif XS7, Motif 6, TX81Z), Korg (R3, Triton-R), Roland (XP-30, D-50, Juno 6, P-330). Novation A Station, Arturia Analog Experience Factory 32

Yep, the Jupiter 8 and 4 were great machines. (I didn't dig the Jupiter 6...thin n buzzy sounding to my ears.) The VP330 was pretty damn cool too. I loved my Juno 106, but always wished for a bigger badder machine: the CS80v. (Talking about driving a Hyundai when you want a Bentley!)
Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

My point is that they hope by slapping the Juno name on it that it will have a "cool" factor.

Then they're misremembering what "Juno" stood for in the 80's... :rolleyes:

Juno was a budget offering, meant to sell keyboards to kids and neophytes. Juno-106, Juno-1 and Juno-2, which are what most of the younger crowd will remember... not exactly the watershed instruments used to define "cool". Sure, the first Junos (6 & 60) had some appeal, but even those were "affordable" offerings, not flagship instruments.

It's a damn good thing they didn't call it the "Jupiter Stage"... there'd be pitchforks and torches on the move... ;)

Ahem. :D

I was thinking the same thing and wondering how I would feel if those rainbow buttons from the Jupiter 8 were slapped on a new synth.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

.....Nobody wants a single-oscillator + chorus machine. I mean, really, nobody. It's got to have at least 2 of 'm.....

+1

Exactly how I have always felt when playing a Juno-60/106. Ditto for the Korg Polysix

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Archived