Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Poll: Steve Lukather.....

Griffinator

Lukather, how does he rate?  

126 members have voted

1. 1. Lukather, how does he rate?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Minor adjustment: He IS the guitarist, primary songwriter and one of the singers of Toto, as well as being one of the most accomplished session guitarist in the pop world.

Nash-customized Gibson Les Paul, Godin Progression Plus

Quilter MicroPro Mach 2.0

Listen to the solo's on Toto's "Rosanna"...or Don Henleys "Dirty Laundry". I'm sure the man still has it..just hasn't had the avenue to use it lately
"We're just musician's.....here to thin the thickness of your skin." - Max Webster

Wow... That's a surprise. Thanks for the head's up! What a drag... I just read the news at Lukather's website.

In any event, summing up Lukather by saying he was the guy in Toto is a bit of an understatement as he's accomplished so much.

I'll adjust my adjustment:

He was the guitarist, primary songwriter and one of the singers of the recently disbanded Toto, as well as being one of the most accomplished session guitarist in the pop world.

Howzat?

Cheers...

My chip goes to he fifth, unwritten answer- 'All of the above'. Seriously! He is a great player who's contributed, directly and indirectly, to The State Of Guitar; his career- like virtually ANYONE'S- has had its Seasons (and his story is not yet all unfolded); lots of people don't know him by name, yet many have heard his work and not even known it; and styles, fads, trends, tastes, and contexts change as a constant, and one's perspective and relative place with them. He's great AND sucktastic.

I know a guy who used to hang out with him; he gave him a guitar once 'cause he loved something the guy played bottleneck-style on a reso, and 'cause he was a friend. I'd say that was pretty cool of him!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I'd encourage anyone to find and get the Los Lobotomys CDs/DVD, or the amazing collaboration with Larry Carleton called "No Substitutions" There's also a DVD of Luke and Carlton in the Paris/New Morning Series that is nothing short of amazing. It was cool to see Luke pushing Larry to channel his inner shredder. :-)

I'd encourage anyone to find and get the Los Lobotomys CDs/DVD, or the amazing collaboration with Larry Carleton called "No Substitutions" There's also a DVD of Luke and Carlton in the Paris/New Morning Series that is nothing short of amazing. It was cool to see Luke pushing Larry to channel his inner shredder. :-)

I didn't vote since I've never actually heard any of Lukather's playing and have no clue who Toto is.

Given that, I'll take a look at his bio, history and discography... maybe even... ... buy one! ;):D

As usual, thanks for expanding my musical horizons. :thu:

Gotta' geetar... got the amp. There must be SOMEthing else I... "need".

His Hot Licks tape was the second one I ever bought (after Larry Carlton's). His Rock playing is brilliant.

He DEFINITELY made Carlton rock out on the 2001 No Substitutions tour. Carlton was in a middle age funk...his playing was getting really boring and Luke made him wake up. :thu:

Carlton's playing that tour was really inspired.

A Jazz/Chord Melody Master-my former instructor www.robertconti.com

(FKA GuitarPlayerSoCal)

Great player and musician, mos def... all-time great? Not sure. Awesome? You betcha! Impressive CV to prove it.

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

--from 'Beyond Good and Evil', by Friedrich Nietzsche

My MySpace Space

I associate Lukather with that chorusey, effectsey sound from the 80s, which was THE sound, but now has sort of bitten the dust.

I read in a GP interview once that he had heard a "Lukather" patch on some multiFX box and was shocked to discover that that's how people thought of him. What's he doing these days?

One of the greats! Woefully underrated, with far more chart success across the pond than here. I still use a lick of his when I play "Little Wing".
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

Steve Lukather (formely of Toto) is promoting his blistering new "rock-vocal" release EVER CHANGING TIMES and Worldwide Tour commencing on June 20th, 2008.

The USA tour jaunt runs from August to October and includes many US cities this time out. A must see and hear!

Please refer to the following official Steve Lukather web sites for more details.

www.stevelukatheronline.com

www.myspace.com/stevelukatheronline

Steve Lukather (formely of Toto) is promoting his blistering new "rock-vocal" release EVER CHANGING TIMES and Worldwide Tour commencing on June 20th, 2008.

The USA tour jaunt runs from August to October and includes many US cities this time out. A must see and hear!

Please refer to the following official Steve Lukather web sites for more details.

www.stevelukatheronline.com

www.myspace.com/stevelukatheronline

Wow, that's... bizarre...

Most likely a hired publicist doing more harm than good there being so spammy...

In spite of that, Lukather obviously loves and lives the guitar- he's a lot like a lot of us here- only, maybe more talented and skilled than many, not to mention more fortunate and successful... :thu::D

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I gained a new respect for Lukather after I found he played the rhythm guitar parts to some songs I'm still quite fond of:

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=ber5DrM6dG8

(actually featured both keyboardists of Toto and the drummer too)

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=CnjEzx7Glr8

Yeah, he's a great soloist too and all that, but his rhythm guitar playing kills. Not only is his time great, but his parts really complement each song.

Amazing guitar player, one of my favorites. Is there another player with more gold records? He's all over Thriller.

"Ever Changing Times" is great, but pick up the last Toto record if you don't have it, "Falling In Between." Their best stuff in years. I also like Toto's "Kingdom of Desire" for guitar rhythms and solos. I'm bummed that Toto is over, I wasn't able to see their last tour.

He has an interesting tone. Music Man with EMGs into the Bradshaw/CAE amp. Sick player and very unique.

Archived