Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

'The Trip' - On My Way To Seattle

[i](edited since last night)[/i] Yep, for anyone who's still interested I'm on my way to Seattle. I've just spent a couple of days exploring the Redwoods in the very north of alifornia and the south of Oregon courtesy of the Low Down Lowdown's Danymal_x. Once again I am truly grateful to my hosts, everyone has been great. Special thanks to Bunny and his family for puuting me up/putting up with me for so long.My time there was a combination of recouperation after my travels, making silly songs with Bunny & nosying around the Bay Area's studios for any opportunities. Unfortunately I was unsuccesful on the last font, the studios are either dying or are locked out, so there was no way in. So it'll be LA for the real hunt. I also spent a bit of time with Sal (Sal..... whatever screen-name he's using now!) and we wrote a song together. This too was a lot of fun and I was well looked after again while I was there. Rather than going straight back to LA I decided to take the opportunity to see more. I always say "do what you can when you can, because some day you wont be able to." I needed a break from the traffic, I needed some fresh air, so I hit Yosemite. I probably dont need to tell you how spectacular that place is! Unfortunately it rained on me for the first time in 6 weeks so half a day was dulled. I decided to venture out of the park to Mono Lake which was a very good choice - that again was like another planet. By the way, for anyone who saw the original title of this thread, I have just spoken with paostby on the phone and everything is good! More trip stories to come, sometime! John

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey, what happened to MacAndrew's Scotch Ale? Now it's called [i]Stock[/i] Ale, and the label shows it to be brewed in Tadcaster, England by none other than the Samuel Smith's people. Now, I love the Sam Smith brews, and the "Stock" Ale that still bears the MacAndrew's name is quite good, but not entirely the same as before. I swear, the reason that I read all of the new items on the amended label was because it just tasted subtly different to me! So... [i]wussUPwiDat?[/i] Oh, hey- when you're in Seattle, be sure to have some Redhook and Blackhook brews! The Blackhook/Ballard's Bitter is an authentic tasting India Pale Ale style that is really quite good. One of the best State-side interpretations of the I.P.A. that I've tried! [i](Now, I'm gonna look even more the fool than I planned if you don't care for beer!)[/i] ;) :D Have a safe and good voyage!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

quote:
Originally posted by Bunny La Joya: " ...Budweiser, too. :idea: I hope that you got some Anchor Porter, or Anchor Steam in'im while he was there! :cool:

Thanks & sorry! I have been pretty much without a signal the majority of the time since I left Bunnyland. I just got the messages using a landline, I'm about to call ya back. Caevan/Bunny. I was actually introduced to Anchor Steam by a barman in Monterey, I like it a lot. Redhook was good too, I'll have to try Blackhook. No idea about MacAndrews. To be honest most of the so caled 'Scotch Ales' that are sold over here I have never heard of back home! Scottish style maybe, but its a gimmick really. Unfortunately it doesnt work in reverse. We dont have 'American style' in Scotland - we have Budweiser, Miller & Coors. One of my favorite lagers in this country is one of the first I had when I was over last year - Yeungling from Pennsylvania. I also always like Sam Adams. I think my real favorites all come from the Czech Republic or Belgium though - Staropramen, Hoegaarden, I could go on, but anyway....I'm on the road to Seattle. John

[quote]Originally posted by flyscots: [b]"Caevan/Bunny. I was actually introduced to Anchor Steam by a barman in Monterey, I like it a lot. Redhook was good too, I'll have to try Blackhook. No idea about MacAndrews. To be honest most of the so caled 'Scotch Ales' that are sold over here I have never heard of back home! Scottish style maybe, but its a gimmick really. Unfortunately it doesnt work in reverse. We dont have 'American style' in Scotland - we have Budweiser, Miller & Coors." "One of my favorite lagers in this country is one of the first I had when I was over last year - Yeungling from Pennsylvania. I also always like Sam Adams. I think my real favorites all come from the Czech Republic or Belgium though - Staropramen, Hoegaarden, I could go on, but anyway....I'm on the road to Seattle." John[/b][/quote]"Blachook" is a name used on some of the fine brews from Redhook, so's not t'confuse ya. The MacAndrew's [i]Scotch[/i] Ale was actually brewed and bottled in Caledonia, Scotland, according to the label, and imported here under the auspices of Merchant Du Vin. The [i]"Stock"[/i] Ale is brewed'n'bottled in Tadcaster, England. I regret that [i]our[/i] tired, wretched, (piss)poor refuse- Budweiser, Miller, and Coors- is allowed to wash up on your shores; you have my sympathies! I regret that these may cause a dim, dim view of any "American style" brewing! Yes, Yeungling is a fine lager, brewed at the historic old (oldest continuously operating breweries in the U.S., as a matter of fact!) brewery in Pennsylvania, just a short trip from my hometown! Try their "Black and Tan"... good stuff! The Sam Adams line is also quite good! You [i]really MUST[/i] get some various Otter Creek brews. Perhaps the very finest in the land! I'm salivating now! Really! I like good Belgians, too, especially fruit-Lambics and the like. I cannot drink any form of wheat-beer, though, I'm sorry to say. They don't agree with me somehow, alas! And Austrian and German "Rauchbiers" (sp?), or "Smoke Beers" are [i]sublime...[/i] mmmmnnn... [i]-sigh-[/i]

:idea: Best Beers in Seattle - well there are so many ... The Kirland Roaster is a good place to start - Hale's Pale and Moss Bay Extra are outstanding. Pike Place Market - Pike Place Brewery - killer! If you are lucky, they have some Barley Wine on tap - a few of those and you are toast. Another good place is Elysian - killer brews and excellent barlew wine. Also look for Full Sail Xtra - not from Seattle, but Portland; a really great beer - pretty easy to find in Seattle though. There's also a big restaurant with OK food that is the Thomas Kemper/Pyramid brewery - lots of good choices there. Redhook and Weinhard's will pale (no pun intended) in comparison after you've tested the places above.

Steve Powell - Bull Moon Digital

www.bullmoondigital.com

[b]=stevepow=[/b]-Stop it! I'm gonna have to go to Damn Seattle now! Of course, a good brew pub- or even just a good brew, on tap- trumps bottled brews that are more travel-weary than flyscots!

Let's all go to Seattle! There's got to be some rich person on here who could send out tickets for airfare to everyone. Kemp? Did you get your lottery winnings from The Netherlands yet? Hey I know a guy that lives in Seattle where a bunch of us could crash. His name is Don. Forget his last name. Don is a cool guy, we're in! Just need some money for the airfare.

[quote]Originally posted by Bunny La Joya: [b]Actually, August is one of the nicest months to visit the Pacific Northwest. His timing is perfect.[/b][/quote]August [i]is[/i] often the best month of summer in Seattle. But it looks like fall is coming early this year.

"And then you have these thoughts in the back of your mind like 'Why am I doing this? Or is this a figment of my imagination?'"

http://www.veracohr.com

[quote]Originally posted by paostby: [b][QUOTE]Originally posted by flyscots: [qb] Yep, for anyone who's still interested I'm on my way to Seattle. John[/b][/quote]This will be timely. Our soundman needs to learn how to run our mixing board. I guess that was something I forgot to ask her when she said she wanted to do it. We have 5 one-nighters that flyscots will need to run sound for. Also, it's that special time for her so he'll have to help with equipment, too. The gigs are only 200 miles apart so that isn't too bad of a drive. I hope his car can make it. We had a roadie, but he failed summer school racquet ball and is in trouble with his parents, so he can't come, either. But, this is all for charity, so I hope flyscots finances are holding out well. I could lend him a few bucks, I guess. The charities are for banning alcohol in this state so we won't have to worry about the price of beer! I think he'll have a great time, though. I just haven't been able to tell him any of this, yet. It all came up this afternoon. I'll tell him when he gets here. We'll be ready to load out.

Archived