Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Running hammond off a generator, can it be done?

Gary75

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only time I remember doing this was in the late 70's. Boy was I horrified when my Hammond's pitch starting going up & down like a yo-yo. :eek: After the initial panic I figured out why & had to do the gig without it.

Sorry, I know I didn't answer your question but I had a quick trip down memory lane when I saw the post.

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

Same thing happened to me a few years ago, very embarassing. Happened in 2001, at the last minute they got hold of a generator to power nothing but the hammond! I felt important that day.......until I had to drag the C3 back to the van again.

There is a frequency convertor accessory you can buy from most pro organ shops that will solve the problem of unstable power from generators and you won't have that issue any more.

My worst experience was playing a "generator gig." Forget the Hammond, all of my gear had problems. We were not getting enough juice, which caused my amp (Motion Sound) to sound like complete dog doo. I was very upset at that gig and would be extremely hesitant to play off a generator again. I can't imagine that varying output can be good for electronics (I wasn't using a hammond, but an RD700sx and Electro).

Archived