Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keyboard Mixer

grego

So I just bought a used pair of Mackie SRM450's and I would like to use one as a keyboard monitor on some gigs. Can you not use the XLR thru on the back of the 450's to go to the main board? I tried once and the sound to the 450 cut out as soon as I connected the cable to the thru output. Do I need a keyboard mixer to make this happen? What is the best way to do this? Thanks for your input in advance.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What you are describing should work - but having very recently made the switch from a keyboard amp with a little built in mixer and eq to a set of powered speakers, I can tell you that a mixer will make your life alot easier.

Basically 2 ways to go - a rack mount line mixer (preferably with a rackmount eq), or

a small format mixer with eq.

If you already are carrying a rack, and have the space, adding a rackmount mixer and eq might make sense. Researching this, the Roland M-120 (not made anymore) and one of the Ashley mixers both seemed like good choices, and give you the option of sending a mono out to the board seperately from your main sends. If you are running in stereo, the soundperson can insert DI's either right before your speakers, or pre-eq.

A small format standalone mixer, depending on its capabilities, may give you more options. A Mackie 1202 - a popular choice for this application - will let you send the sound board either a mono or stereo mix that is either pre-eq or post eq. This pretty much covers all of the bases. Additionally, the eq is pretty good and the older ones at least are rugged.

THe Yamaha MG10/2 is a cheaper option - you can get them used on ebay for 50 or 60 dollars. The sound quality is OK if you don't push your levels, and while you have a little less flexibility than with the Mackie, it will get the job done.

Would love to hear other's input on this, as I am rebuidling my rig(s) and have been thinking alot about this stuff - but others may have more hands on experience with the gear in question.

Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

THe Yamaha MG10/2 is a cheaper option - you can get them used on ebay for 50 or 60 dollars. The sound quality is OK if you don't push your levels, and while you have a little less flexibility than with the Mackie, it will get the job done.

Its a nice lil unit. They are discontinued, but you might be able to get a new closeout deal. Mine was only 99 bucks new and is a nice lil keyboard mixer, nothing fancy.

Actually, I just started using a powered speaker with my Casio Privia keyboard to get better sound than the keyboard speakers, and I've been searching for something similar - something to put between my keyboard and speaker (which has no bass, treble or anything like that) to help manipulate the sound, and also give me the flexibility of using more than one device with the speaker. I use a single Rokit powered speaker.

FYI, I emailed the company as to whether I can use both the XLR and 1/4 inch inputs in the back of the speaker at the same type and they said that would blow the speaker.

I'm not sophicated when it comes to sound equipment, so forgive me if the following question has a simple answer, but Radio Shack sells an Equalizer for $69 and a Mixer for $79-both of these devices would serve my purpose if they work with my euipment and don't diminish the sound quality so I'm wondering if anyone is familiar with these products and knows if they are proper equipment for a digital piano and a very good powered speaker? Can my equipment be damaged using these less expensive devices? Do the devices lesson the sound quality of the keyboard?

(To the original poster) Not sure if either of the RadioShack pieces of equipement would work for you, - the equalizer has two 1/4 inch inputs, and the the $79 mixer has the following inputs 1) an XLR input or 1/4 inch inpur, 2),3),and 4) are the type of inputs one has on their line in/line out for their stereo (the mixer appears to be geared for a dj).

Casio Privia PX-300, Yamaha NP-30, Alesis Multimix FX, Rokit 5 KRK Speaker, Alesis I02 Express

Rather than buying a mixer for that purpose, just get a cheap DI box. A DI box will have 1/4-inch thru jack that you can run to your monitor, so that way you can get an XLR feed to the soundboard and a 1/4-inch feed to your monitor simultaneously. A DI box will probably be cheaper and much less hassle. Beside, if you play an instrument that goes direct like keyboards, you should probably own a DI anyway.

Thank you for your suggestion. Unfortunately, the Mackie's only have XLR in so I went out of the keyboard 1/4" into the DI Box, XLR out of the DI into the SRM450 and out of the Thru port to the sound board - it didn't work.

thanks to all for your responses. I need all the help I can get.

grego,

You want to use the DI box to isolate the house mixer from everything on-stage. I have used the XLR outputs of JBL EON's to go directly the house. It works well in many venues, but occasionally I'd have a ground loop (lot's of hum). The only way to be safe is to use a DI box.

Keyboard to the DI input, DI XLR out to the house (this is a transformer isolated output), and DI thru to your monitor. In your case, get a 1/4" phone to XLR male cable to make this connection.

Casio PX-5S, Korg Kronos 61, Omnisphere 2, Ableton Live, LaunchKey 25, 2M cables

Thank you for your suggestion. Unfortunately, the Mackie's only have XLR in so I went out of the keyboard 1/4" into the DI Box, XLR out of the DI into the SRM450 and out of the Thru port to the sound board - it didn't work.

thanks to all for your responses. I need all the help I can get.

Just use a 1/4" to XLR connector from the DI's 1/4" output to the Mackie.

http://www.yourcablestore.com/assets/images/xlr%20m-hp%206m%20cable_thumbnail.jpg

That will leave the XLR output open so that the sound guy can get his signal straight from the DI.

I use a Alesis MultiMix 12R Rack Mixer cost $300 new, along with a peavy EQ to a QSC 850 as a stage monitor. I run the main out from the mixer to the main PA board and use the monitor out to the qsc. Run it all in stereo (including the send to the main board) and use Yamaha X15 cabs on each side of my set up. Works and sounds great, on stage and out front!

Stan

Gig Rig: Yamaha S90 XS; Hammond SK-1; Rehearsal: Yamaha MOX8 Korg Triton Le61, Yamaha S90, Hammond XK-1

Retired: Hammond M2/Leslie 145, Wurly 200, Ensoniq VFX

Archived