Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Cleaning tolex

BadLife

I am sure this has been gone over before but did not find anything with a quick search. What are the best ways to clean amp vinyl? I usually use soap and water and a toothbrush. I have heard not to use ArmorAll and that it's OK. Also tire cleaner (sounds a little strong to me). I have also heard of using black shoe polish? How about getting off foreign substances like tiny specks of paint or unknown stuff that cannot be easily scraped off? How about black paint to cover it up? Any thoughts on this ?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only time I've ever cleaned a tolex amp, it's been a vintage one. They can accumulate some greasy grime over the years!! LOL

Yes, that's on dirty tolex. A kitchen towel and Armor All seem to do a great job. I've never used anything else.

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

The only thing that I've ever used was a damp, hot wash cloth and some elbow grease. I couldn't see how ArmourAll would hurt anything, but I personally don't like the way it makes things feel kinda slimy, even after wiping it after applying. My Carvin has that carpet like covering that they did for a while in the 90's. While it is plenty durable, I don't care much for it, and other than a vacuum cleaner :thu::D, I don't know what would be best to clean it. Maybe call Stanley Steamer? :D One of these days I may find a replacement cabinet for it with plain tolex.

Avoid playing the amplifier at a volume setting high enough to produce a distorted sound through the speaker-Fender Guitar Course-1966

Well MDR if you have used it on vintage amps and it has not caused any damage I may have to give it a try. I don't want to have some strange chemical reaction that eats the tolex off the amp. Already watched the binding start to bubble and melt on a Les Paul that was quite enough for one life time when it comes to things that can go horribly wrong with chemicals.

I've used Windex, KaBoom & Fantastic with a soft bristle brush for polishing shoes to clean the pits out. After that I just wipe it down with water and a lint free cloth before anything dries.

The problem is those little pot holes and all too often you just move crap from one hole to the next.

So long as it's wet or shiny it looks clean. That's the problem with Armor All and it actually softens the material with extensive use and time.

You don't see that it's still dirty until the sheen is gone.

that's my take anyway.

I still think guitars are like shoes, but louder.

I always particularly liked Dawn...

Wish I could remember her number... :rimshot:

Oh, dish-soap's good for cleaning Tolex, too, with a little brush; (Very diluted) Dawn dish-soap'd probably work well...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Archived