Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RD700GX versus S90ES

delirium

Piano 1 uses the Superior Grand samples on FP7 and FP4.

Piano 2 is a mellower version of it. Expressive is new and only in the RD-700GX.

The SRX07 does not have any good Rhodes. People buy it for synth samples. They put so many samples on the cards that the Rhodes sound compressed and wimpy to me. I sold mine .

The SRX-12, EP 1 on that card is the one.

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The SRX07 does not have any good Rhodes. People buy it for synth samples. They put so many samples on the cards that they sound compressed to me. I sold mine quickly.

how about acoustic pianos on that card?

♫♫♫ motif XS6, RD700GX

I had the SRX07 in my V-Combo and liked it. The main thing was the synth sounds, as Jazz+ described. It also has a stellar CP70 sound, likely better than what comes stock in the 700GX. You would not find any pianos on the SRX07 that are better than out of the box pianos on GX.

Speaking of which, I have created a lovely sound on the 700GX that has been getting me lost for HOURS. I started with Expressive Grand and tweaked a lot of the Designer parameters, added EQ, etc. and then layered in the CP70 sound with some delay. It nails the Peter Gabriel and Simple Minds sound. Crank the cathedral reverb and it is instand Coldplay. I'm really liking it.

good to know that you can tweak somehow that Expressive Grand

but something tells me I'll be using more Ultimate Grand which I like from fantomX a lot.

So, from what I hear so far is it any sense to get any SRX card then for this board? maybe not - need to wait for Fedex to check this out. BTW, I keep S90ES.

♫♫♫ motif XS6, RD700GX

Just a query to other Roland RD owners... how do I actually save a patch in a certain location? It seems you can only save the patch to the location its already in.. is that right?

I would love to create say 10 variations on the Ultimate Grand sound.. but from what I can tell you can only save this to the third location...

I'm sure I'm getting all this wrong... I just spend so much time playing the damn thing.. that can't be a bad thing can it? ;)

The SRX-07 also has some fine Hammond patches. Way better than what's standard in the Fantom-X. The ones in the RD700-GX are quite good though.

I played the Fantom-G and RD700-GX again yesterday. Less impressed with the GX action, prefer the G for the reasons delirium mentioned. It's no more portable than my MP9500 though.

Disagree totally with the comments about Roland and Yamaha being better suited to different styles. Still prefer the sound of the S90ES for jazz, and I can do New Orleans funky piano shit just fine on a Roland with a few tweaks. The piano sounds of different jazz artists and different recording labels cover as wide a range as what you get with Yamaha and Roland.

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

Hmm.. I think its more to do with the way Yamaha and Roland record their samples rather than the pianos themselves.. Yamaha have gone for a more percussive sound in their P range in the past... but then again I haven't heard their CP or 90ES pianos...

The Roland sounds seems to be more like the softer pianos I hear on ECM records (was just listening to a Lars Jansson piano solo on Arild Andersens Shimri from 1976 and it is a dead ringer for Roland) whereas the Yamaha is more like the sound I might hear on a Bob James record or some contemporary like the Yellowjackets... it seems to have more cut than the Roland.. but theres no soft samples I find in Yamahas...

At the end of the day though you can customise/EQ/filter the hell out of things and usually get something that you want though... so I agree to a point that its probably not an issue these days...

The Roland sounds seems to be more like the softer pianos I hear on ECM records (was just listening to a Lars Jansson piano solo on Arild Andersens Shimri from 1976 and it is a dead ringer for Roland) whereas the Yamaha is more like the sound I might hear on a Bob James record or some contemporary like the Yellowjackets... it seems to have more cut than the Roland.. but theres no soft samples I find in Yamahas

I was sitting there playing the GX w/ the phones today and thinking the same thing. It does have a softer sound than the Yamaha, certainly my P120 which I'm pretty sick of.

I also see the GX not "cutting" in a more backbeat, aggressive style of playing. I would keep my S90 for those situations and look for the S90XS with anticipation.

I'm going to keep listening to the GX and see if the samples "grow" on me. I did like the action...plus 55 lbs. is much more appealing than a 75 lb. CP300. I wish it had the speakers and the looks of the FP7. The GX looks like a "keyboard" while I feel the FP7 has a classier look. Playing it today also brought to mind the recordings I've heard both live and computer from SK and Piano4u.They really do sound nice.

BTW...Lars Jansson is a new find for me. I LOVE his stuff,his piano playing and new Cd with his beautiful orchestral writing. I'd never heard of him, but what do us naive Americans know...haha. He's a new "friend" on my front page...check him out...terrific. I understand he's been very well known in Europe for a long time.

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

https://www.youtube.com/@daveferris2709

2005 NY Steinway D, Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, CP88, P515

Nice one Dave,

Love your music... just the way modern jazz should be! ;-)

Lars is more well known in Scandanavia really.. I only heard him through the ECM stuff with Arild Andersen. Very beautiful piano playing... what he was doing in 1976-78 is still very much in vogue for me. From hearing your style, I think you would appreciate those albums (Shimri and Green Shading into Blue). As thay aren't available on CD at all I'll see what I can do for ya. ;-)

Btw, the GX does have a Bright Grand sound (which is based on the Superior I think...) it should suffice for the cutting sound. Add some reverb and it just cuts likes a knife for acid jazz like Incognito stuff. I'm no fan boy when it comes to pianos, if I don't like something I'll say so, but the Roland pianos just seem so damn musical for me... I had the P120 and it was like too percussive for me... very tiring on the ears...

I wish it had the speakers and the looks of the FP7. The GX looks like a "keyboard" while I feel the FP7 has a classier look.

I don't agree, for me RD700GX is the coolest looking keyboard currently, a real black beauty. Speaker would add unnecessary weight. FP7 looks very much like a home use keyboard only without the character on it's own.

♫♫♫ motif XS6, RD700GX

I just got the SRX-12 in the GX now... it sounds a bit odd.. the basic sound is there for sure (could do with a little overdrive methinks), but the keyboard touch to sound is a bit out... probably needs some editing...

orangefunk, tell me if it's worth to buy that SRX-12,

I wonder if it is really better then supernatural EP already included in RD700GX because somehow I doubt.

♫♫♫ motif XS6, RD700GX

With some editing they sound okay, but I think with you already having the 90ES you won't need them...

I made a pretty nice patch with the first preset, Pure Rhodes (edited with filtering and a little resonance to add some grit), but then could not find a way to save it... so I'm now thinking these patches are just that... presets that can be edited but not stored??

I'll tell you something though, despite there being 4 levels of velocity they don't half sound jumpy...

I made a pretty nice patch with the first preset, Pure Rhodes (edited with filtering and a little resonance to add some grit), but then could not find a way to save it... so I'm now thinking these patches are just that... presets that can be edited but not stored??

that would be weird if you couldn't save it. Didn't you find anything in manual about it?

♫♫♫ motif XS6, RD700GX

You can save edits to presets from an external card as a setup. Busch had one edit for the card in the setup file he did earlier in this thread.

I'm not crazy about the SN eps either, and prefer the SRX 12 Rhodes. I think the SN wurly is better than the SRX12 wurly though. I wish you could use the amp types from the supernatural editer on the external card, but they're not included in the setup effects.

John

no nothing in the SRX manual, usually for the inbuilt sounds there is a "write" option... but nothing appears for the boards...

Btw.. you only get 50-60 patches as the others are only accessible using a Fantom...

I have to say with editing you can get some pretty nice sounds...

Btw.. you only get 50-60 patches as the others are only accessible using a Fantom...

what do you mean? if I buy SRX-07 where we have like few hundreds patches I won't get them all ???

♫♫♫ motif XS6, RD700GX

It does say on the SRX boards demo page that the higher patches of the 12 are only available on certain keyboards, because they use certain features specific to the Fantoms. However the 07 card doesn't seem to have that restriction.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

You can edit the card-sounds anyway you like, including splits, layers with others patches of the SRX-card and/or RD patches etc, but you can not save it on the card itself. You have to save it as a SETUP in the internal memory of the RD.

Roland FA-08

Nord StageEX compact

Yamaha MG10/2

I was thinking about the SRX12, primarily out of curiosity, but I'm kind of in EP nirvana between RD-700GX, Electro and S90. Minor incremental improvements in the SRX may not justify its expense and just one more thing to edit on top of a pretty deep system already (I am finding some good EP potential in the GX SuperNATURAL engine). If anything, I would probably check into an SRX07 to expand some of the synth offerings in the GX, but still trying to get my Macbook/Logic rig comfortable enough for gigs. There is quite a bit of horsepower in the GX as it stands, so I'm not prioritizing the addition of SRX cards at this juncture.

There is quite a bit of horsepower in the GX as it stands, so I'm not prioritizing the addition of SRX cards at this juncture.

that seems to be quite right, so maybe it's good not to follow the GAS and hold on with SRX addition until we first explore what this board alone can do. In my case having S90ES and Motif XS I'm not really hungry for sounds anyway.

♫♫♫ motif XS6, RD700GX

With the SRX-12, adjust the Touch setting on your controller to match your playing style. If you don't like the highest velocity layer in the Patch then you can turn it off and save it that way.

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

OK Jazz+ I think the touch needs sorting for that whole card in respect of the RD700GX action. WHat I did try doign was layering the SN with the SRX.. that made for an interesting thick sound and the SN masked the jumps.. still I would like to fix the SRX jumpiness and hope I can do this at the patch level rather than as a global parameter effecting all the other sounds...

"burningbusch" SRX-12 EP1 edits:

"J+, I really like how the SRX-12 Rhodes sounds and would probably use it in preference to the SN pianos. I like boosting the EQ 7db+ at 1250Hz with a Q of 2.0. You can also roll off the bass a little and actually roll off the high end treble quite a bit. You will probably need to lower the input gain on the EQ as this is a lot of boost. Also, eliminate the top velocity layer by adjusting the highest velocity on the on the RD (I think the highest layer comes in at 121). I also like to reduce the release of the amplitude envelope to 0 or there abouts. It eliminates the release effect and makes for a nice snappy sound. I find the SRX-12 Rhodes jumpy only in the lower half of the range."

thanks, I think the "Sound Control" facility also makes a difference... it seems to even out the sound a lot.. a bit like a compressor/limiter..

Just a question.. can the velocity be adjusted on per patch basis or would I have to edit in the global menu?

I edit it on a patch basis in my XV-2020, using Roland's free editing software, and save it to a User memory location.

On the RD, do the large oversize buttons bother anyone besides me? Feels very non-pro to me. Just my 2 cents...

Cne, FWIW, the buttons on the SX and GX are the same size. However the GX buttons have a touch line on them, andddddddd, They LIGHT UP

its cool

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Archived