Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New acquisition

Scott Fraser

I'm noticing an awful lot of GAS around here. I'm certainly not immune to it myself, and as proof, I'll reveal this last week's guitar purchase. Other than a very old, very funky Washburn formerly owned by my grandfather, which has basically no playability or sound value, but tons of sentimental value, I've never owned a steel string acoustic. I've just cured that problem. I now have a Taylor 714 (no cutaway, no pickup, thank you very much) sitting in the guitar room. It's a guitar I've had GAS for since trying one about 8 years ago in New York. This has a bit of a different voice than the one I recall from long ago, but it is pretty damn exquisite. A friend was over a few days ago with his very high end Collings & we jammed a bit. They're quite different but both equally wonderful instruments. There really is a place for all these instruments with their individual characteristics. Anyway, I'm stoked.

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm outa' gas for a bit now... my latest aquasitions these past two weeks are

1. New stand for my midi keys

2. New floor mic stand for amp recording

3. Dunlap Uni-Vibe pedal

4. Boss Tremolo pedal

5. A set of Humbucker Antiquitys for my LP

6. A 22" wide screen LCD monitor for my DAW

7. New graphics card to handle both monitors at my DAW

8. New brass slide...(I've always used glass)

9. 6 packs of DR Blue strings... (3 9's and 3 10's)

Wifey didn't say anything... (Then again, when they're not talkin' to ya' I guess they can't say anything) :laugh:

PS... Don't ya' love gettin' packages in the mail??? :love:

"1. New stand for my midi keys

2. New floor mic stand for amp recording

3. Dunlap Uni-Vibe pedal

4. Boss Tremolo pedal

5. A set of Humbucker Antiquitys for my LP

6. A 22" wide screen LCD monitor for my DAW

7. New graphics card to handle both monitors at my DAW

8. New brass slide...(I've always used glass)

9. 6 packs of DR Blue strings... (3 9's and 3 10's)"

GEAR HO !!!! LOL... :)

I now have a Taylor 714 (no cutaway, no pickup, thank you very much) sitting in the guitar room.

Sorry Scott...but this total BS!!! :mad:

You don't drop something like this in a thread...and then provide us with NO PICTURES!!!

;)

Hey...that sounds VERY sweet! :thu:

And I'm glad to see others succumbing to the GAS...makes my purchasing guilt less painful. :grin:

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

That is a great guitar Scott! I have heard the electric version of those with the cut away and they are sweet!! Congrats!! :)

Thanks. Yes sir, it really is sweet. Not too bright, not too boomy, really nicely balanced bottom to top. And the neck is to die for. Taylor just makes an incredibly playable neck/fingerboard. Most acoustics feel stiff & difficult to fret to me, but the Taylor is as smooth as my electrics. To my ear the non-cutaway, non-pickup version is a bit sweeter than the electric version. Just a bit more body resonance, no preamp cut into the side. It just seems to ring a tiny bit more.

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

I now have a Taylor 714 (no cutaway, no pickup, thank you very much) sitting in the guitar room.

Sorry Scott...but this total BS!!! :mad:

You don't drop something like this in a thread...and then provide us with NO PICTURES!!!

I KNEW somebody would say this! OK gang, I gotta confess, as many times as it's been detailed here, I still can't remember how to link to pictures. Can somebody run it down again. I go to PhotoBucket, then what?

;)

Hey...that sounds VERY sweet! :thu:

And I'm glad to see others succumbing to the GAS...makes my purchasing guilt less painful. :grin:

LOL, the only guilt was sneaking it into the house while my wife was at work. Don't suppose anybody can relate to that. Ramp?

I'm loving this guitar. I've had my eye out for one for about 8 years now & it came up on Craigslist. I think with the economy in a downturn there are a lot of good deals out there now, & not a lot of buyers. Time to feed the GAS.

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

Scott once Photobucket is open click on the Choose File>Upload...try not to go much over 400Kb.....then after it loads you will see some options....E mail, HTML etc...grab the bottom one which is Image Code and just copy it and then paste it into your message...check it with Preview my post and it should open right up.

I am looking forward to seeing it...congrats it is a gorgeous guitar the 714. I agree with the choice of no electronics and no cutaway....a real acoustic guitar...not a half electric.

Sweet buy man.

Scott, of all the many Taylor guitars I've tried and played, the 714 was by far my favorite! Although I was more interested in the cutaway model, I was not too taken by the electronics option either (I was looking for a studio guitar that I would mic anyway). The combination of rosewood and cedar was definitely very sweet to my ears!

I eventually ended up with a Koa/Cedar Breedlove (Breedlove being closely related to Taylor in style, construction and tone, not surprisingly so since it was founded by a Taylor master luthier) but those Taylor 714's sure bring me fond memories: enjoy!!! :thu:

Scott, of all the many Taylor guitars I've tried and played, the 714 was by far my favorite!

Interesting, me too. I tried the higher end models (8xx & 9xx) but for me the quality vs price ratio topped out at the 700 series.

Although I was more interested in the cutaway model, I was not too taken by the electronics option either (I was looking for a studio guitar that I would mic anyway). The combination of rosewood and cedar was definitely very sweet to my ears!

Something about the cedar really does it for me. There's a mellowness I really like. Probably comes from having nylon string classicals as my acoustics for the last 40 years.

I eventually ended up with a Koa/Cedar Breedlove (Breedlove being closely related to Taylor in style, construction and tone, not surprisingly so since it was founded by a Taylor master luthier) but those Taylor 714's sure bring me fond memories: enjoy!!! :thu:

The cedar & koa Breedlove sounds nice. I'm really not too familiar with their models, other than they look fantastic. If Breedlove is an ex-Taylor luthier, you know they've gotta be great guitars.

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

Woulda been nice if you'd bought this before coming to Nashville with Kronos... I could've made sure it was really a good guitar by extensively testing it and putting it through its paces! :D

Congratulations, Scott.

I have to agree, I've found, as a rule, that the middle ground pricewise is where I find my favorite Taylors. One of these days...

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Never owned a steelstrung acoustic? You picked a bloody nice one to start your collection :cool::thu:

Nice start, huh? Question is, where does one go from here? Actually, I think this just may be my acoustic collection in its entirety for quite some time.

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

sweet choice. i am totally impressed with any Taylors i have played. i know what you are saying about the tone and playability.

i hope to eventually score one myself.

my buddy has one of the pricey models and it is sweet. he also has a PRS McCarty he confessed is possibly going to be sold someday. someday i hope i have the cash when he does put it on the block.

Never owned a steelstrung acoustic? You picked a bloody nice one to start your collection :cool::thu:

Nice start, huh? Question is, where does one go from here? Actually, I think this just may be my acoustic collection in its entirety for quite some time.

Scott Fraser

:cool:

It's going to be a hard one to top.

Archived