Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Georgie Fame anyone?

Leberwurst

As I was just skipping through my humble CD collections, I found some of my Georgie Fame records. It was kind of a trip down memory lane for me, as I pretty much listened to this stuff all day when I was very small and I always feel a very strong relation to those songs.

Now, from a new perspective, I find it particularly amazing how Mr. Fame's sound has changed over the years. He started out as a club musician in London ( Youtube ) and later, in Van Morrison's band, developed a taste for jazz, leading to very cool recordings in the 90's and later (check out the live CD with a Big Band at his 60th (?) birthday)

His records always feature tons of Hammond, Rhodes and Blues influenced piano playing.

Just wondering what his reputation in the U.S. is? Is he known at all? :)

The Dromb Bopper

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I was a fan of Georgie Fame & The Blue Flames and the early Van Morrison connection. Fame had a pop/r&b hit called "Somebody Stole My Thunder" which was used on a 60s-inspired commercial a few years ago (might have been Wal-Mart)... sounded so cool to hear him again.

dig: http://www.groovetastic.co.uk/ultragroove/45.php?position=23

Here for the gear.

I say Yeah Yeah...

He had a couple of hits over here in the 60's. One, as I recall, was a nice version of Point of No Return -- great keys, unique voice.

Kurzweil PC4; Yamaha P515; EV ZXA1s

Major influence for me, and Georgie was always pretty jazz-influenced. I still do his version of "I Love the Life I Live" with my band.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

Archived