Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Reharm Room

SK

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great SK! I love the way you "chastise" the virtual players for not paying attention to your playing. Hilarious....and brilliant!

It was actually a real ear-opener to hear him get around that bass-player. Haha we're too spoiled. :thu:

"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

Thanks Dave. If I pulled on the time on that, it was because I subconsciously wanted to end it. :grin: Those virtual guys really liked that turnaround at the end. It wouldn't stop - I was like "now what?" :) But it was fun. Roger was at least able to stay true to the song throughout.

Somehow I missed your NTT, so I'll check it tomorrow after an early gig in the morning.

Here's another version of Estate. Sort of a fantasy version, more mood than actual blowing.

(file removed for mixing)

OK here - much better mix, with a couple extra sounds thrown in.

My original plan was to just play on the tune, straight, in a trio context. I did that, but then I added other instruments around it, so it grew into this. But if I stripped it all down, it's a trio version underneath, minus the intro. Sorry for the file size, but it's about 5 minutes long.

http://www.divshare.com/download/9746809-503

Dave, I'm enjoying your playing more and more. It's great to hear your style as it evolves. No guesses about the NTTs, however.

Steve, my connection with stashbox is impossibly slow for some reason at the moment; I'll try to download your "Estate" tomorrow night.

Here is a version of "The Party's Over" that I played tonight. Totally reharmonized (is this still the Reharm Room...?!), but in a "benign" sort of way. A bit sad too, I'm afraid.

Wow, sorry 'bout that Dave, and thanks for pointing out the problem - all fixed - stashbox is obviously having problems, so I went back to divshare.

Now clickable on the site to listen, NO download - mixed Estate:

http://www.divshare.com/download/9746809-503

Carlo, very nice, reflective reharm as Dave said, with some striking, poignant voicings which stood out to me. And yes, all reharms are still welcome in the Reharm Room, even though I go off topic sometimes. :)

Dave, I recognized occasional progressions in your two NTT's, but I wasn't sure where the sections started or ended, so I didn't trust myself to venture a guess. Nice playing.

Since divshare is working for me again, here's the last two things I posted in clickable, listen mode.

Roger's backing track with me goofing off: http://www.divshare.com/download/9714272-883

a reverie:

http://www.divshare.com/download/9714358-d63

That's great, Steve. About Estate...

What I heard on the original had bits and pieces that reminded of Claus Ogerman and Vince Mendoza...terrific.

Exactly. :)

Is the second song They Can't Take That Away?! And is the first part of your beautiful "Reverie" based on "The Party's Over"? I seem to hear some of the melody in there.

Even if it's not, I enjoy it. :D

Anyway...

Estate

Thanks Carlo. The second tune was "Can't Take That Away" - Roger's backing track he sent me to try. The other tune isn't referencing "The Party's Over", but I see what you mean. It's getting harder to tell which tunes are not a NTT. :)

Enjoyed your Estate - some beautiful stuff. Geeze, a rich classical background gives so many harmonic resources to choose from to implement. Endless possibilities. I tried a quick pseudo attempt at it just now, not very elaborate, but just to try it: http://www.divshare.com/download/9745452-15b

My other take is my idea of "smooth jazz" - mentally editing the playing down to basic feel. (I figure a lot of smooth jazz has a groove with two chords, so why not a few more chords.)

• 2 weeks later...

Steve, I'm an idiot - I totally missed your second attempt to "Estate" with the arco bass the first time around. I like it - actually, I prefer that to the first, "smooth Ogerman" version. :D

Dave, so you have started recording your voice *and* piano in one pass? Sounds quite good in terms of independence (man, I couldn't even think of doing that!). Maybe the voice sounds a tad less precise on sustained notes - but I guess it's also due to the fact that it's quite dry. A bit of discrete compression/delay/rev/eq would probably help to achieve a bigger, more compact sound.

Btw the second song, which was supposed to be "'Round Midnight", calls the same link to "Ain't Misbehavin'" above.

The instrumental takes are excellent as always. This modern jazz stuff seems to fit your phrasing perfectly. I certainly would love to hear those songs from you in a trio setting! :)

Ok, here's my second "Name That Tune" thing. It's a latin-flavoured song. I got it reharmonized (the original is very simple harmonically), but I think the pivot points are still very clear.

I *did* play the theme at the end, but for this version I've cut the audio, for your benefit. :D

The playing is awful - I was half asleep. But if I had done another take it probably would have come out worse. :freak:

Name it!

Dave, thank you for fixing the link. "'Round Midnight" is probably my favorite among your sung pieces. :)

I had almost forgotten to have posted that. I thought everybody had left the 'room' for the holidays... :D

Anyway, before giving the solution, I'd like for someone (or Dave himself) to attempt an answer. Take into account that...

- It's a *very* famous Brasilian song, by one of the Big Names of Brasilian music, with fantastic lyrics.

- It's reharmonized, so it's not easy to catch if you only listen to the chords. However, most of the 'pivot points' of the progression have been left intact. I also hope to have mantained the original atmosphere.

- There are a couple of *very* short hints at the melody.

Dave, "Taking a Chance on Love" sounds very nice - probably more balanced than the previous pieces, both in performance and in recording.

I haven't played that song for a long time - I'll probably attempt a reharm soon. :):evil:

Hi Carlo -

I would guess that is "Black Orpheous". You really did conceal the progression well! It was those few little melodic hints that helped me (if I'm right) and the E7 turn-around leading into the A minor (the original key of the song) that were the tip-off for me. Very nicely done!

I would guess that is "Black Orpheous".

Um, no, sorry Roger. The general progression and the tempo are similar, and the key is the same, but it's a different song. (I seem to remember that I have already done "Orpheus" for the Reharm Room!)

Actually, I'm starting to suspect that this song is not so famous in the USA as it is in South America and Europe - which would be a shame, because I find it's one of the most wonderful songs ever written by human soul.

Anybody else? Steve?

Anybody else? Steve?
Gentle Rain was my first guess too, but I don't think that's it unless it's extremely reharmed. Some familiar strains there, a touch of How Insensitive, but nothing I can say for sure.

IF it's a relatively unknown tune in the US, I hope you post a straight version of it. I'd like to hear it.

Ok, thanks everybody for your efforts. "Black Orpheus", "Gentle Rain", "How Insensitive", are all songs that I adore, and very similar to this one. I guess my rather heavy reharmonization has made the song almost unrecognizable. Or it's not really known in the US - but frankly, I find that difficult to believe.

Here it is with the melody at the end, played just a little bit freely.

OK, so by now I'm prepared to realize that this song is not widely know in the States, if even Steve doesn't recognize it. I tried to search for an English version, but I found none. Frankly, I'm astonished.

It's "Oh Que Serà" (Portuguese title, not to be confused with "Que Serà, Serà") by the mythical Chico Buarque , probably the best South-American songwriter of his generation, a bit younger than Jobim or Vinicius De Moraes.

Since I didn't play the melody very clearly, here is a pop version by the Italian singer Fiorella Mannoia, with the melody clearly stated. It's sung in Italian, quite a literal translation from Portuguese. It's from year 2000 - you'll recognize Pavarotti onstage at the very end. :)

And since this song can't really be appreciated without knowing its great lyrics, Here is an attempt to an English translation, not really made to fit the music, just to give an idea of the text.

Hello All, some cool music and ideas here for sure -

I just completed a Re-Harm of Lights By Journey - I kept the rock feel but added some Jazz/Gospel flavor to take it to another place.

Its got Some nice substitutions and a Great Female vocal by Monet' Owens

I also put it in the Key of "C" to sound deeper - the real track is in "D" because its a Guitar tune.

Let me know what you think. http://www.myspace.com/marcpaley

Marc

Marc

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke.

- My original music projects: http://www.myspace.com/marcpaley

I have only contributed with one re-harmonized song before, but now it´s time for my second time...

http://www.speedyshare.com/files/20303504/When_you_wish...P_Burell.mp3

This is my version of When you wish upon a star...

I was really nervous when I performed it on our concerthall at the musiccollege where i study in Sweden...

There were almost all of the musicteachers and alot of students from all classes.

It´s was some sort of closure before cristmas and I thought that I could do a little own rendition of this familar tune...

Enjoy!

Keep up the good work.....