Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Wahey, I got a clonewheel!

Kayvon

I just received a Voce V5+ s/h from a guy in Sweden. Already i'm loving it. Been running it into my Fantom XR for overdrive, reverb and Leslie fx.

The chorus and keyclick are better than I thought they'd be but the leakage is pretty much useless and the onboard overdrive has an alright tone to it but it's pretty one dimensional, just like a ripping sound blended in.

Anybody got any tips on drawbar registrations? I just saved in the first preset 418040062. One of my favourite organ sounds is Quincy Jones' summer in the city. Prob have a pretty hard time copping that sound though.

I'm controlling it with a 49 key Emu midi controller but already the two manual thing would be something i'd love to add in the future. First i've got to get out the nail file for those sharp diving board edges.

I've got loads of stuff to learn at the moment for uni performances but when I get the time I think it's only right that I get down Green Onions to start with, Any other reccomendations? I love that Gospel sound.

PS Anybody have a V5+ and get a kind of clicking on the percussion? It sounds a bit like a delay on the attack click, doesn't happen on the top drawbar though. Not too pleasant dunno if there's something up with mine.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anybody have a V5+ and get a kind of clicking on the percussion? It sounds a bit like a delay on the attack click, doesn't happen on the top drawbar though. Not too pleasant dunno if there's something up with mine.

I don't have a V5, but I do have a Roland VK7 and play regularly on a C2 with trek2 percussion kit installed.

Are you sure that the 'click' you are hearing isn't the percussion itself? That might explain why it doen't happen on the top drawbar. (Hammonds use the top drawbar for the click itself, (I believe you can change it to use the 2nd highest one as well) On a real hammond, the top drawbar won't sound when percussion is on.

Although that might not be what you are seeing, as you mention it is like a delay. just a thought

I'm just saying', everyone that confuses correlation with causation eventually ends up dead.

Congrats. I've always been a big fan of the Voce. Get yourself a spinny thing and you'll be done.

As for drawbar settings, we've had a bunch of threads on that in the past, but search is not working so well. A few of my personal favorites, in no particular order:

And the list goes on...have fun!

:D - Yeah I took at stab at the spelling - thanks for the correction.

I just love that sound. It always brings a smile to my face.... Not as much room for it in Rock music, whenever I use it my bandmates call it "the cheesy organ sound".

I'm just saying', everyone that confuses correlation with causation eventually ends up dead.

Its cheesyness is one of its attractions to me!

Thanks for the registrations, the markings on my V5+ are none too accurate so I think i'm gonna just have to get acquainted with what the different drawbars are adding to the sound.

Joe, that Greg Allman one works nicely over here.

Phred, the clicking i'm getting on the percussion is almost like a fixed frequency zippering. Not sure it's entirely healthy or meant to be there.

Eric, a real leslie would be great but for the time being my Fantom XR's VK Rotary effect will have to suffice. Luckily it sounds almost as good (to me) in mono as in stereo.

Idle curiosity here but has anyone tried out the Lexicon MPX 550 rotary emulation? I had one of those things a couple years back but never properly tried that effect out with a clonewheel.

Between silence and all out, there are almost 390 million possibilities. Most of them are downright useful. This looks like a pretty decent collection of suggestions ...

http://www.keyboardservice.com/Drawbars.asp

It's good to check these out to get the basic idea of how drawbars work. Try out a bunch. But I wouldn't get too caught up in memorizing exact settings or saving lots of presets. Some folks use presets, but I'm not one of them. I play drawbars on the fly.

If you begin by understanding why the white ones are white, the black ones are black, and the brown ones are brown, and you look over those drawbar registrations to get the basic idea of what harmonic content the various families of sounds have, you'll be able to morph from warm to screaming to cheezy to fluty to church and back at will. I'm way too stupid to remember all those presets or remember where I put 'em. Guaranteed, I'll hit the wrong one.

My basic setting is between 808000000 and 888000000 with third harmonic fast and soft. Nice place for some warm comping and subtle fills. Where I go from there depends on what I'm hearing and what I feel like playing. For me, it's every bit as much a part of playing the instrument as playing the notes.

--wmp

I played with a Voce V5 for several years. Most agree that it has a very authentic, fat, ballsy tone. I had a "hot rod" modification done on mine to boost the percussion volume. I feel the V5 is the "smallest" way to add a "B3" to one's rig. For Leslie sim, I used the "Voce Spin II." It sounds fantastic on fast speed, perhaps just a tad phasy on slow. I've heard that the Spin II sounds fabulous in stereo, unfortunately, something I have yet to try. Congrats on the purchase of your V5+! You will love this powerful little machine!!

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

I'm really enjoying this now, I think partly because i'm running a nice dose of reverb along with it which is absent on all my other sounds and I just seem to get on with where those held chords take me.

Nice site wmp, the classical organ registrations give you a nice idea of the how the drawbars work even if I wouldn't actually use some of them in a track.

Moonglow, the percussion seems a little unruly (It tends to jump out a bit too much) in my setup so if I use it I tend to have it on soft.

I need to set up my expression pedal properly though. On my setup I have a FC7 with the fortissimo spring function in use but most of the gain is in the last stage, rather too exponential like. Dunno if that's how its been programmed in the V5+ though. I remember reading a Bob Moog article on how a real Hammond has an expression pedal setup that brings in the higher frequencies slower than the bass frequencies and that that sounds more natural to the human ear. That'd be a good design for a volume pedal. I might think about trying out an inline volume pedal as my overdrive is run after the Voce in the chain.

.....Moonglow, the percussion seems a little unruly (It tends to jump out a bit too much) in my setup so if I use it I tend to have it on soft.....

The Voce V5's percussion is too soft, so I had the modification (developed by Dave Amels) to match the percussion volume of the V5+. However, Dave/Voce has yet to set forth a modification to match the improved chorus of the V5+, so the V5+ remains the superior machine.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Congrats on your purchase!

I have been using the V5 for the past 2 years. I would suggest that you get a 61 note controller which will give you the 5 octave range that a Hammond has. You will also notice that the V5 will not sound if you play above or below the 61 note range. It will respond to key transposition but will loose the notes on the top end or bottom end (depending on how, or if, you transpose).

I use the FC7 pedal also. I set my MIDI CC on my controller from 7 (volume) to CC 11 (expression).

The percussion can be loud. I had the percusson mod done by Ashby Solutions which increases the percussion output by 7 db making it's percussion sound like the V5+. When I played it without my Motion Sound it seems really loud but seems ok when using it. Maybe it is the interaction between the Voce and your speaker that makes it to loud. I would suggest that you get a real Leslie type speaker. The Voce will really shine going through that.

Drawbar settings that have become popular are based on real Hammonds playing through real wooden Leslies. In my case, the Voce is not a real Hammond and my KBR-3D is not a real Leslie. I use these popular drawbar settings as a starting point and then tweek them to match my system. The best thing you can do is listen to recordings of Hammond players, use the drawbar settings, and try to emulate those sounds. Then you can come up with settings that fit your setup and your style of music. Enjoy!

Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK-1 + Ventilator, Korg Triton. 2 JBL Eon 510's.

...organ

Yeah, I spent a good while trying to cop the registration from Quincy Jones' summer in the city last night and I dunno how close i'll be able to get with just the V5+ and my Leslie effect. Actually for a while I couldn't work out if the organ was playing chords or not! Hammond organ transcription has got to be one of the hardest keyboard things as there's so many variables to the sound.

I'm thinking about replacing my 49 key Emu controller with a Doepfer D3 as it'd be nice to acquaint myself with the similar range of the B3 and what you can do by pushing in the first three drawbars and then comping lower down. I occasionally have been getting caught out with comping on too low of a sound.

try Joe D's suggestion 686000000 (and variations of)...the 686 lessens the 1st/3rd drawbars bass depth and creates a more transparent sound in a band setting for the sub-3rd harmonic (#2) drawbar. I tried it on many a gig and it is better for alot of playing as an option to 888000000, abit thinner and more defined! At times I still prefer 888######.

The V5 out of all my clones (Cx3/XK3) has my favorite drawbar sound. It's thick and rich and less 'sample' sounding than either the XK or CX. They have other things going for them but the V5 I find fills up the frequency ranges nicely and with a thickness and density of tone that is very warm and playable!

I have used an EQ on it to bring out the upper drawbars. I used a Roland bass guitar pedal eq with it through a KBR-3d. Not too much, you can blow the upper driver easily, just a 'ramp' eq curve upward to bring out the high end, especially through those MS horns, added the right 'cut' for me.

lb

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Archived