Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Steve Weingart

zephonic

I first heard this dude a few years back when he was playing with Dave Weckl. Got interesting compositions and a very clean and precise way of improvising.

http://video.google.nl/videoplay?docid=8585123134208068494&q=steve+weingart&total=33&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=1

local: Korg Nautilus 73 | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Me like.

Both his instruments are naturally clear and bright (NL3/Motif) ... and he's letting them sing in their own naturally bright voices. He doesn't dunk em in reverb or fake tube mud to get them to sit better with the guitar. It works for his angular material. :thu:

Nice writing and soloing. Thanks for sharing.

Jerry

I'm glad somebody else started this thread and not me. I started going to see Steve Weingart at La Ve Lee a lot this past year and have really grown to dig his playing. I cruised up to him after one of these gigs and asked him about the bridge he wrote for 'The Chicken' when he played it with Weckl. He walked right over to the Rhodes and showed it to me! Not in a 'this is hot shit' kind of way either, just like 'this is it!'. We got to talking and I now study with him, and he is one of the humblest guys in town. I mean it. He is so genuine and unassuming and willing to talk about music. He is VERSATILE. He plays great latin jazz. I saw him take an amazing salsa solo filling in for Renato Neto with Joey Heredia and Marco Mendoza a couple months ago. Steve W can do it all. His time is amazing. Super clean tight time, a must for quality fusion.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Excellent. Anybody looking for the alternative to Smooth Jazz, it doesn't get any better than that. :)

Didn't my know my homies Kevin Levi and Eric Valentine were playing with Steve Weingarten:

Levi is a great saxophonist. Valentine is simply ridiculous on drums.

I need to get back out to LA more sooner than later. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

• 2 months later...
I now study with him

What's that been like? Does he have a formal method or does he shoot from the hip? He does have very good technique and he knows how to use it!

I've only had one lesson but plan to have another one this month. He gave me a lot to chew on. I basically cruised over to his house and he welcomed me in and we hung and discussed all kinds of musical things for 3 hours. We went at a natural pace. He let me ask all kinds of questions and had great answers. I had so many things I wanted to talk about with him! I asked him about playing with Weckl, I asked him about his solid solid sense of time, I asked him about influences and his experiences and the L.A. scene and playing with Steve Lukather and where he got his latin chops and stuff like that. He's pretty good buddies with Chick and he talked about playing gigs with Weckl and having Chick come and sit in! He had me on his Steinway and he hipped me to some great pentatonic exercises and exercises for the development of time. We then jammed a couple tunes trading choruses with him on the rhodes and me on the Steinway. That was inspiring! We discussed approaches to playing two fisted lines and symmetric ideas.

At the end of 3 hours it was I who suggested that we stop. He would have probably kept going but it was a good place to stop and I had much to chew on.

Weingart is one of the most humble musicians I've met. Honestly very selfless. I can't wait to do it again, I still feel like I need to put some of what we talked about into practice though.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

I'm glad somebody else started this thread and not me. I started going to see Steve Weingart at La Ve Lee a lot this past year and have really grown to dig his playing. I cruised up to him after one of these gigs and asked him about the bridge he wrote for 'The Chicken' when he played it with Weckl. He walked right over to the Rhodes and showed it to me! Not in a 'this is hot shit' kind of way either, just like 'this is it!'. We got to talking and I now study with him, and he is one of the humblest guys in town. I mean it. He is so genuine and unassuming and willing to talk about music. He is VERSATILE. He plays great latin jazz. I saw him take an amazing salsa solo filling in for Renato Neto with Joey Heredia and Marco Mendoza a couple months ago. Steve W can do it all. His time is amazing. Super clean tight time, a must for quality fusion.

I couldn't have said it better. Have seen him several times the past few years, including with Heredia and Mendoza a year ago. Talked with him for a long time on the break about keyboards and he was the coolest, nicest guy. I hadn't seen him since then and went to the Potato to see Mike Miller, Steve, Simon Phillips, Jimmy Earl and Walt Fowler a couple of weeks back. Steve remembered me and it was cool to see him play a real Rhodes. He's totally awesome in my book and a new favorite player. He's on the new Steve Lukather album and will be touring with Steve this summer. Saw him also with Lukather and El Grupo in 2006.. that totally rocked!

John

JohnH it sounds like you and I go to a lot of the same shows. I *almost* went to that show with Simon Phillips and Jimmy Earl, but I ended up going down to San Diego. Let me know next time you make it out to see Steve, and we can introduce ourselves.

JohnH it sounds like you and I go to a lot of the same shows. I *almost* went to that show with Simon Phillips and Jimmy Earl, but I ended up going down to San Diego. Let me know next time you make it out to see Steve, and we can introduce ourselves.

Yeah, cool, I will definitely do that. Im going to hit the late show Sat nite with Landau at the Potato, and see Tribal Jazz with John Densmore this week. I wasn't really impressed by the Tribal Jazz clips I heard, but I'm in a Doors tribute so I gotta see John.

John

Archived