Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2008-2009 Thread

Dave Bryce

They forgot the interceptions record. If you ask me, Favre probably wouldn't mind them including that on a page like that. He loved the game, but had the humility to live with his mistakes and own them.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
From the way sports radio is chattering out here, you'd think the guy kicked the bucket!!! Anyway, I haven't followed football enough to really have a sense of his greatness or accomplishments. Or it could be that I'm a Bears fan and can't quite get myself to acknowledge what a great QB he was... :D

I haven't chimed in about Brett yet. First off to all Packers fans, you were truly lucky and blessed to see such a class act. Whenever an issue surfaced, he took responsibility. Brett wasn't perfect, (none of us are) but how he carried himself when problems arose and played the game should be an example to all incoming players.

Geoff you were the most adamant Packers fan on these boards and I don't know whether to send my condolences since he retired or congratulate you for his many years of exemplary service to your team. I guess a bit of both. Being from the SF Bay Area, I hope Aaron Rodgers does well and I will root for the former Cal bear but man does he have a tough act to follow. he may have the worst job in the NFL when you look at it from that perspective.

I do wish Brett the best with whatever direction his life goes. When and if I have children and the subject of the NFL comes up, Brett Favre will be a name always associated with me for love of the game and outstanding sportsmanship. If my kids want the Brett Favre Jersey, I would be honored to buy it for them. A great representation of the NFL and personal character.

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

From everyone is saying here and elsewhere, he's not only was a really great QB but is a super great person who was passionate about the game. Sounds good to me.

Favre was one of the greatest risk-reward QBs of all time. So many big plays because of his willingness to gamble, but that willingness was also reflected in his INT numbers. Still, can't argue with the overall record.

Well put, Governor Silver.

I haven't chimed in about Brett yet. First off to all Packers fans, you were truly lucky and blessed to see such a class act. Whenever an issue surfaced, he took responsibility. Brett wasn't perfect, (none of us are) but how he carried himself when problems arose and played the game should be an example to all incoming players.

Geoff you were the most adamant Packers fan on these boards and I don't know whether to send my condolences since he retired or congratulate you for his many years of exemplary service to your team. I guess a bit of both. Being from the SF Bay Area, I hope Aaron Rodgers does well and I will root for the former Cal bear but man does he have a tough act to follow. he may have the worst job in the NFL when you look at it from that perspective.

I do wish Brett the best with whatever direction his life goes. When and if I have children and the subject of the NFL comes up, Brett Favre will be a name always associated with me for love of the game and outstanding sportsmanship. If my kids want the Brett Favre Jersey, I would be honored to buy it for them. A great representation of the NFL and personal character.

Great tribute, SilverDragonSound, and thank you for your condolences and congratulations.

As for Aaron Rodgers, I agree that he has a tough job ahead filling in for Favre. After watching the media fallout as Dan Marino's and John Elway's successors crashed and burned, I don't envy anyone who has to replace one of the greatest quarterbacks of all-time. On the other hand, I think Rodgers is as well prepared as he could be under the circumstances; and Green Bay is probably as kind and forgiving of a football town as there is. They had to wait for two decades between Bart Starr and Brett Favre, and if Aaron Rodgers turns out to be good at all -- which I think he will be -- then the fans at Lambeau will probably welcome him with open arms.

From the way sports radio is chattering out here, you'd think the guy kicked the bucket!!! Anyway, I haven't followed football enough to really have a sense of his greatness or accomplishments. Or it could be that I'm a Bears fan and can't quite get myself to acknowledge what a great QB he was... :D

From everyone is saying here and elsewhere, he's not only was a really great QB but is a super great person who was passionate about the game. Sounds good to me.

Ken, I think most people would put Brett Favre in the Top 5 quarterbacks of all-time, and a few put him at #1. He currently has almost all of the important quarterback records, but most of those records are likely to be broken by Peyton Manning by the time he retires. There are however a few records that I expect to remain Favre's for decades to come -- his three MVPs in a row, his long string of consecutive starts, and his interceptions.

But as Brett put it at his press conference today, if he's remembered mostly for his statistics, then he hasn't done his job right. I think -- and many people seem to agree -- that Favre will be remembered for his enthusiasm and passion for the game as well as his humility.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

After watching the media fallout as Dan Marino's and John Elway's successors crashed and burned, I don't envy anyone who has to replace one of the greatest quarterbacks of all-time.

Ah, but you're forgetting what happened when possibly the greatest QB of all time, Joe Montana, was succeeded by Steve Young (who became a hall of famer on his own). It's not impossible that Mr. Rodgers might be a great asset.

After watching the media fallout as Dan Marino's and John Elway's successors crashed and burned, I don't envy anyone who has to replace one of the greatest quarterbacks of all-time.

Ah, but you're forgetting what happened when possibly the greatest QB of all time, Joe Montana, was succeeded by Steve Young (who became a hall of famer on his own). It's not impossible that Mr. Rodgers might be a great asset.

Agreed ... but not forgotten: ;)

posted 03-04-2008 08:44 AM

Aaron Rodgers looked good against Dallas last year; and with any luck, he'll be Steve Young to Brett Favre's Joe Montana. But few teams are lucky enough to have one Top Five quarterback in franchise history and none have done it twice. I can't imagine that Aaron Rodgers will ever completely fill Brett's shoes.

Best,

Geoff

Ken, I think most people would put Brett Favre in the Top 5 quarterbacks of all-time, and a few put him at #1. He currently has almost all of the important quarterback records, but most of those records are likely to be broken by Peyton Manning by the time he retires. There are however a few records that I expect to remain Favre's for decades to come -- his three MVPs in a row, his long string of consecutive starts, and his interceptions.

But as Brett put it at his press conference today, if he's remembered mostly for his statistics, then he hasn't done his job right. I think -- and many people seem to agree -- that Favre will be remembered for his enthusiasm and passion for the game as well as his humility.

Best,

Geoff

Yeah, everybody I hear keeps talking about what a great guy he is, so I think one needn't fear him being remembered only for stats.

Thanks.

Most recent transactions:

Javon Kearse back to Tennessee. Jeff Fisher plans to play him. I'm curious to see Kearse remain healthy enough to make it happen. :rolleyes:

TJ Duckett goes to Seattle. Guess this is an insurance policy for the oft injured Shaun Alexander.

Joey Harrington cut by the Falcons. The dirty birds need to find a viable QB quickly unless they are high on Redmond, believe in Shockley and/or plan to draft and start one.

Tony Richardson is a NY Jet. Should be an welcome addition to their running game along with the acquisition of Alan Faneca. Now, the Vikings need to find someone else to block for Peterson.

This tidbit of info should get the NFL thread restored to its rightful place page 1. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Good article. There are things about Sapp I didn't like, but a lot that I did. I wouldn't have wanted to be the opposing QB when he was in his prime.

As to Chadiha's assertation that he should be a hall of famer... wow, tough call there. I think he made lots of enemies through his style of play, and HoF election is a popularity contest of sorts. We'll wait and see, I guess.

Sapp was one of the most dominant two-gap NT's in history. Absolutely deserves to be in the HOF.

One would think, yeah. Seven Pro Bowl selections, 96-1/2 sacks. Looks like HoF numbers. But a lot of folks will remember the Chad Clifton hit, or the general shit talking that he was so good at. Ya never know.

Sapp was one of the most dominant two-gap NT's in history. Absolutely deserves to be in the HOF.

One would think, yeah. Seven Pro Bowl selections, 96-1/2 sacks. Looks like HoF numbers. But a lot of folks will remember the Chad Clifton hit, or the general shit talking that he was so good at. Ya never know.

Yeah, but remember back to when he and Favre were in their primes and in the same division. That was ALWAYS a fun matchup.

Yeah, but remember back to when he and Favre were in their primes and in the same division. That was ALWAYS a fun matchup.

Totally. You don't even have to go back to when Sapp was a Buc to find some great stuff. Here's a Sapp/Favre story from last December (sorry for the long copy/paste, but it's just too funny)...

Green Bay - One thing you know when you're facing Warren Sapp: It's going to be an interesting afternoon.

The Green Bay Packers knew that from their many division scrapes with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and they were reminded of it again Sunday against the Oakland Raiders at Lambeau Field.

Sapp wasn't a dominant force in the middle of the defense, as he was during his days with the Buccaneers. The Packers gashed the Raiders for 179 yards rushing in a 38-7 victory on an 18-degree day in December. But he had seven tackles and at least made the game entertaining in the fourth quarter, when he started calling out the Packers' plays before they were run.

The game was over for all intents and purposes by then, but it did take the Packers by surprise when Sapp lined up before the snap and told his teammates exactly where the play was headed.

"He kept calling our plays out, I'm not joking," tackle Mark Tauscher said. "It was, like, six, seven or eight plays in a row. He would say, 'Ball going left,' and he would call out the name of the play. I'm sure that's something we'll have to look at, why that was happening. That was definitely something we don't want to happen again."

On the other hand, it was kind of funny, too.

At one point, quarterback Brett Favre broke out laughing as Tauscher had the Packers move their huddle back so Sapp couldn't hear the play being called. Even after that, he was calling them out.

"I don't know if he was reading Brett's lips or what, but we'd come up to the line and he was calling right where we were running to," right guard Junius Coston said. "It was pretty funny.

"He was, like, 'They're running this way, c'mon y'all.' I'm in my stance, just trying not to laugh. And the linebackers were cheating over when they heard that. I'm, like, 'Wow.' "

According to center Scott Wells, Sapp didn't have to use too much intelligence to guess what play the Packers were running. It was garbage time and the Packers were just trying to run out the clock.

"We were running two plays: outside right and outside left," Wells said. "He had a 50-50 chance. He was right except one. He called one to the right and we went to the left. It was funny because we were winning. If the game was tied, it would have been annoying."

Favre said he enjoyed another chapter in his running competition with Sapp. His old nemesis didn't sack him, but he had plenty to say all game long. Sapp kept the chatter up with most of the linemen and used a few of his usual intimidation tactics.

But he pulled a new one in announcing the Packers' plays.

"We had words out there, but it was in fun," Favre said. "He called out every play we were running. I don't know if he had a headset or what, but if you go back and watch a TV copy, toward the end of the game he goes, 'OK, here comes 99 stretch' or whatever. He's still quick as a cat. Yeah, he's bigger, he's older, but the guy still can play."

As a result of Sapp's special talent Sunday, the Packers are probably going to have to address the way they run their huddle. Not only did they move their huddle back when Sapp started calling out plays, they scrunched together so Sapp couldn't see Favre to read his lips.

It didn't matter. He still called them out.

"It's never humorous because they know where we're going and it doesn't help us be successful," left guard Jason Spitz said. "I mean, it was quiet (in the stadium) and he was calling plays out. He's a savvy vet; he's been playing this game for a long time. He hears the play, he's played so long he knows where it's going."

As far as blocking Sapp, the Packers weren't helpless, as they have been in previous meetings. Coston and Spitz played solidly and were able to get movement in the running game, allowing running back Ryan Grant to rush for a career-high 156 yards.

Sapp did not get a hit on Favre and didn't cause any fumbles.

"It was a fun day," Coston said.

Great story, Jeff. :cool:

I was thinking the same thing, kanker. The Buccaneers had a great defense, and no one stood out more than Sapp.

Best,

Geoff

Even more transactions:

Warrick Dunn goes back to Tampa Bay. The Bucs can definitely use his services.

Seahawks pick up Julius Jones in addition to TJ Duckett. More insurance on Alexander and/or his days are numbered especially if means saving $4M on the salary cap.

Thankfully, the Skins released Brandon Lloyd. Guess the Bears had no choice but to sign him having let Berrian go to the Vikes.

Trent Green returns to the Rams. Should stay healthy playing behind Bulger.

The G-Men are considering David Carr as a back-up QB. Eli has no reason to look over his shoulder.

Hope Jerry Porter works out in Jacksonville. He could definitely provide their offense with a spark.

That coaching situation in Oakland will be very interesting all things considered. :):cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Man, it was my feeling that Trent should GTFO of football entirely after all those concussions. I don't think it's a good idea for him to remain in them game, as a backup or otherwise.

Man, it was my feeling that Trent should GTFO of football entirely after all those concussions. I don't think it's a good idea for him to remain in them game, as a backup or otherwise.
Yeah, he's really playing with fire here, and chances are pretty good he's going to get burned. He's made his money, it's time to make the right decision for his health

Jeff, that was my thought as well. I cannot imagine what Green has left to prove to the game. He could have ridden out with Favre.

They both could have hooked up with Marino, Elway, Montana, Young, etc., for an all QB hosted football analysis show on the NFL Network. :idea:

Let's hope Green has no real reason to get into a game and/or suffer another blow. :cool:

PD

Let's hope Green has no real reason to get into a game and/or suffer another blow. :cool:

Right. I don't want to be having some, "Oh my God, did you see what happened to Trent Green" thread sometime next fall. :freak:

+1

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

Trent Green SHOULD walk...but remember his story--went from Wash to Stl as high profile starter, badly injured immediately, in steps Warner. Trent never plays again for the Rams. His run in KC has been his career--you can understand why he is so reluctant to let it go.

Kind of like Rich Gannon, except that Gannon was never as touted a starter in Minn and KC as Green was the first time around in St. Louis. Of course, Gannon walked...

While I'm at, Warwick Dunn should walk too. When I saw that he sigend with TB, I thought for a moment it might have been a "sign me so I can retire a Buc" things, and I approved. I cheer when football players walk always. They all give too much.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Archived