Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

software instruments host

zephonic

Steinberg used to make V-Stack as a performance-oriented host for virtual instruments, but apparently they no longer sell or support it. Anyone know of a good VSTi host that allows for easy patching, layering, assignable key range and controllers for multiple VI's etc. and total recall?

If there is, what is it called and what does it cost? With that and a keyboard controller with built-in DAC's you're good to go for a gig.

local: Korg Nautilus 73 | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brainspawn's Forte is a simple yet effective and easy to use vst host

http://www.brainspawn.com/index.php

Yeay, that is about what I meant.Thanks for the link. Do you use it? What are its pros and cons? Anybody else out there use it?

thanks, btw, checked out your myspace, very tasteful music.

Main Stage will not host other VSTi's so that is not an option, but it does come closest to what I visualized in my mind. Hope Forte will be transferred to Mac.

I don't understand your needs; what is this for? Recording? Live play?

I didn't realise Steinberg had done V-Stack. It's part of BIAS Peak Pro so I didn't know they got it from Steinberg.

As programs such as BIAS Peak Pro are stereo editors, they're also easy to set up for live play if that's your need.

I find Digital Performer easier to work with for live instruments, but it's also overkill being a multi-track DAW and also takes up more CPU and memory as a result. No VST though.

Are you dealing with VST-only instruments and only have hosts for DXi, AU, RTAS, etc.? Several VST wrappers were made over the past few years but there is some confusion over which ones are still made, available, developed, suppoprted.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Boy was I off the mark here. V-Stack still for sale and supported by Steinberg. Don't know what gave me the idea that it wasn't.

Mainstage supports third party AUs.

Busch.

Indeed, and almost every VST you'll find on the Mac is available as an Audio Unit.

Yeay, Main Stage does look like something I'd want to use, but you have to shell out 500 bucks for it, whereas V-Stack is only a measly 50 euros. A considerable difference.

I still have a few that are only available as VST, but they're slightly older and not necessarily still supported or developed. Thankfully that number continues to diminish, as Audio Units give a lot more flexibility on the Mac. Many are written as wrappers around VST, so you often have to install both for them to work.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

V-stack is awesome. It looks like a VST-host part of Cubase, but with easier splits and layers. It also can play back midi's, I think, but I couldn't figure out how..

But for live playing, I think it's as useful as vsti host can be.

Stage: MOX6, V-machine, and Roland AX7

Rolls PM351 for IEMs.

Home/recording: Roland FP4, a few guitars

Yeah, I do. Rax is great, simple, stable, and owned by a small responsive developer. I've actually been using Rax for its entire life span and for a stand-alone host on a Mac, it's definitely a winner.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Mainstage supports third party AUs.

Busch.

Indeed, and almost every VST you'll find on the Mac is available as an Audio Unit.

Yeay, Main Stage does look like something I'd want to use, but you have to shell out 500 bucks for it, whereas V-Stack is only a measly 50 euros. A considerable difference.

I thought Main Stage comes free with Logic Studio?

I could, but DAW's are not very handy for that. You'd have to switch between projects and stuff, nah...that needs a dedicated app.

Archived