Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Is this smooth jazz good or bad ?

Jazz+

Do you think this is good or bad music?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa8Hi7Ea7Uk

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Alphonse Mouzon "The Essence of Mystery" is the best "smooth jazz" thing I've ever heard. I ordinarily can't stand "smooth jazz", but that was sort of the beginning of it, where it's truly jazz, and still interesting. Some of you might know his name from Weather Report.

I'd buy it. This is right down the alley of stuff I like these days. Music doesn't always have to be edgy or prove something.

That's musical snobbery. I'd play this back to back with Al DiMeola stuff from the 70s.

I didn't know Will Ferrell played sax. :D

A Jazz/Chord Melody Master-my former instructor www.robertconti.com

(FKA GuitarPlayerSoCal)

Not terrible, but not exactly inspiring to me... it sounds exactly like 100,000 other smooth jazz tunes.. I don't get a sense of a great head or great chord progression from this.. I will however say they they sound like pretty good players... good players playing less than good music..

I like my stuff with a bit more bite, experimentation and atmosphere...

Something like these

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrHrY-j7rIk

Nicely played, weak composition, derivitive. The rhythm part is little more than a platform for leads, like most smooth jazz. I would tire of listening to this kind of stuff pretty quickly.

Live, I'd dig this tune, if it wasn't buried in a set of identical ones.

Now, THIS is smooth jazz:

In another thread, I misattributed this; it's Lee Rittenour. The audio track buzzes badly, which is a shame.

Gosh, this debate is sooo old. Not feeling Boney James/Rick Braun, it sounds bland and unimaginative. But whatever you say of Ritenour, he can really play and always has the tightest groups. And Alan Broadbent...we shouldn't say anything about him, just bow our heads in silence.

local: Korg Nautilus 73 | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

the smooth jazz is very much geared towards selling a "lifestyle" I think...

I think smooth jazz is very much geared towards ... selling.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

yeah.. and that.. ;-)

I think they are good players, although the cutesy emotive vibrato on the alto sax always grates on me..

It would be interesting to take them out of those environments.. I mean we already know what a killer pianist George Duke is for example.. and I have heard Ritenour doing RTF style fusion with Patrice Rushen before he became famous in his own right...

>>> Is this smooth jazz good or bad ?

no, it's all bad...

I'd rather listen to the pop music.

p.s.

because of smooth jazz I hate sound of sax...

Do you mean pop music where the eight notes are all equal and the harmonies are all diatonic? I very recently watched a performance on a well known late night talk show where the eight notes were equal and the harmonies were all diatonic. (The song writer\performer looked great, but the music was .... simple and uninteresting.) I'll take smooth jazz with harmonies that have a tad more color.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Do you mean pop music where the eight notes are all equal and the harmonies are all diatonic? I very recently watched a performance on a well known late night talk show where the eight notes were equal and the harmonies were all diatonic.

you know very well that not every pop song is like that. They're usually diversified rhythmically and dynamically, have nice melody and structure plus good looking chick sing them...

like this:

you can leave...

♫♫♫ motif XS6, RD700GX

That tune could be the could be the soundtrack for smooth jazz. Contains everything I dislike about it and diminishes my appreciation for brass instruments. :laugh:

I realize those cats are making money moreso than an artistic statement. It keeps musicians employed. I cannot fault them in that regard. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I guess people just gotta go where the money is... and its not in mid 60s eastern european free jazz... at least not atm ;)

I guess the smooth jazz people just kept watering down the jazz funk stuff of the 70s until it lost its funkiness and gained a glossy production aesthetic. I reckon good music could be produced in that genre though.. I'd say Pat Metheny's We Live Here could pass for smooth jazz though that somehow makes it sound like I'm berating it, which I'm not as its a lovely sounding CD.

Smooth Jazz is great! I love the sound. I don't care about how its composed or the degree of difficulty. The bottom line is that I like the sound of the music and I get something that stirs me emotionally from it.

Sounds like stockholm syndrome. The cure is to take the stairs instead of elevators for a while. :D:cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Hmmm. Kind of a weird question, really.

I mean, for me there are only two kinds of music: Good and Bad. I like the Good stuff. ;)

I love Chuck Mangione, and I completely don't care if anyone else approves. :rolleyes: My wife listens to smooth jazz radio as sonic wallpaper a lot. It often has a funk groove that I dig quite a bit. It rarely has melodies that do much for me, however. But the thing that's tough for me to get into is the keyboard parts of most of those tunes. They tend to be completely pad-based, either strings or new-agy synth pads. Just not my thing at all. And it's weird to me -- very often it's in tunes where a tasty organ or Rhodes would actually work better.

But that's just me.

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

Archived