Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Just got my Receptor...

C.J. Lewis

So, I finally went and did it. One of the local Denver GC stores had two REV A. Receptors that I basically stole from them, and I'm playing one tonight. Since I represent Muse, I'm going to send them in for 'the treatment', and have them upgraded to Pro status, and my software installed (Ivory, Stylus, etc.) onto one of them. I may end up selling one - watch the Garage Sale!

ivorycj

Main stuff: Yamaha CP88 | Korg Kronos 2 73 | Kurzweil Forte 7 | 1898 Steinway I

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am thinking about sending mine in for the treatment - but it is working fine and I haven't hit the limit on it yet. I would do it if you got more of a break on upgrading to Komplete - I already have akoustic, FM7, Absynth and B4 on my receptor so I don't see the point.

CJ - GET THE ITALIAN GRAND INSTALLED ON YOUR RECEPTOR AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. You won't be able to stop playing it.

Congrats,...I got a Pro Jr in Dec..had them install Ivory w/IG, Atmo, Trilogy and PianoTeq...Ivory runs better on this than it does on my G5 w/6GB mem.

All the Ivory piano's play and feel wonderful..So far, I love this thing...

Jamey, go ahead and do it now! I jumped in with the Pro and haven't looked back yet!. In addition to what you have, I have EWQLSO, COLOSSUS, and EWQL SYMPHONIC CHOIRS of which all take up a lot of space and then some more plug-ins!

IvoryCJ, don't forget to goto KVRaudio website, if you don't already know about it, for some cool and free sounds too! Here is the link: Sounds for Muse Receptor

Yamaha MODX8, Korg Kronos 2 61, Hammond B3, Novation 61SL MKII, Impulse 61, Roland D-550, Proteus 2000, etc......to name a few.

I'm thinking of buying Receptor with Komplete inside...the laptop route has worked well for me but I need something more stable...not 100% sure yet

does Komplete have a good harpsichord instrument?

Muse's website claims the preset architecture is intuitive/easy to use from the front panel, do you guys find this to be true or will I have to fire up my laptop a whole lot. I'm trying to keep it simple

There are not yet any dedicated Harpsichord VI's, unless one counts AAS String Studio, which in my view does not produce a very convincing harpsichord at this point in time (better for banjo, koto, and other plucked string instruments that have far fewer strings than a harpsichord).

Many many harpsichord sasmple libraries exist though, and most are compatible with Kontakt, which of course has been Receptorised.

As harpsichords vary in sound as much as organs, I like to have quite a few at my disposal. There's a few from Realsamples, Sampletekk, Precisionsound, and Post Musical Instruments, and all are well under $100. I own most but not all of these. I also recently bought Vienna Instruments Harpsichord (part of their Special Keyboards library) and it is the best-recorded but not necessarily the best timbre or the most expressive. I'm not sure if Vienna Instruments can work with Receptor or not.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

All good questions / pointers - thanks!

RE: plug-ins - I'll have K5, Ivory + the Italian Grand, Atmosphere, RMX, and BFD.

RE: the 2nd one, most likely I'll upgrade it to a Pro, then sell it to finance the 1st one. Free Receptor Pro for CJ! With 750GB, I'll probably get EW Gold and EQ Choirs, too - and have a massive machine. I have an SKB 2SP Gig Flyer to fly it with me - our band is doing about twice as many fly dates this year, so it'll be nice to have her along.

Semi-OT, I'll replace my K2600XS with a PC3 (as soon as we actually ship them), and use the 16 zones of the PC3 to control the Receptor / native PC3 sounds dynamically. The C1 will provide my organisms, and I believe I'll have a pretty slick rig!

ivorycj

I have nothing installed right now - I've had gigs / travel all weekend. A lot of the stock sounds that come with a Rev. A were fairly lame, but I'm looking forward to getting some cool stuffed in there!

ivorycj

I'm thinking of buying Receptor with Komplete inside...the laptop route has worked well for me but I need something more stable...not 100% sure yet

does Komplete have a good harpsichord instrument?

Muse's website claims the preset architecture is intuitive/easy to use from the front panel, do you guys find this to be true or will I have to fire up my laptop a whole lot. I'm trying to keep it simple

Steve, I can't comment on KOMPLETE because I don't have it. Have you considered EWQL Colossus or Goliath? They have some good Harps in there. I use Colossus (soon to be upgraded to Goliath) to cover all the bases that my rompler used to fulfill.

OTOH, the Receptor is very easy to get up and running. It is to me, very commonsensed-based. THe front panel kinda reminds me of when I used to edit on my E-Mu E4XT Ultra. I was able to create Multis and Snapshots without even referring to the manual!

You don't need to even fire up your laptop either, unless you want to do some extensive editing! Nothing is better than a larger screen. Anyway, I just plug and play through my CME VX7 for live use when I am not using Logic Studio on my MBP 17" to control it. Like I said before, you don't need to use a computer, but it is so much faster and easier to get around when you are editing/creating layers, snapshots, multis, etc.

One thing for sure, you WILL find out that your laptop will "trip" long before the Receptor will. Almost forgot, if for some reason that you lose power, the Receptor will reboot long before your laptop will! Mine loads even faster than my rompler (Motif ES7)! Take the dive! I too, was skeptical at first, but after the experience, I have never looked back!

Here are the videos that sold me:

Receptor videos

Great job on Letterman! Don't forget us here when you blow up and get real famous! :thu:

Yamaha MODX8, Korg Kronos 2 61, Hammond B3, Novation 61SL MKII, Impulse 61, Roland D-550, Proteus 2000, etc......to name a few.

Great job on Letterman! Don't forget us here when you blow up and get real famous! :thu:

I thought he was real famous...I mean, he PLAYED LETTERMAN FOR CRYIN' OUT LOUD!

:D

ivorycj

Ooops talk about a slap in the face :crazy:, I didn't phrase that right.....Steve as you do more big gigs, don't forget us!! :thu::D

I think if you really spent the time to understand the front panel and maybe carried the manual along it would be OK most of the time. I have run into issues when Receptor would boot and encounter an error (specifically a non-fatal error) that the interface is looking for a mouse click or pressing enter on the keyboard in order to proceed. There is no way to do this from the front panel alone, AFAIK. Remember you can just carry a spare LCD, keyboard and mouse and plug these in direct into Receptor rather than the laptop route. In fact it's probably recommended as the laptop connection is a little more complex.

Busch.

Ooops talk about a slap in the face :crazy:, I didn't phrase that right.....Steve as you do more big gigs, don't forget us!! :thu::D

+1

ivorycj

Just wondering, any of u Rec users using it live? Im using Ivory and playing around w/ 2 RCF 310a's, getting good sound, but I get a little mud around middle c, trying to clear it up w/out compromising my highs/lows..I can almost eq it out but still not quite sitting where I like. Any suggestions on this are greatly apptd.

Thx, A.

Archived