Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Roland RD-700GX PIANO (pics)

Jazz+

Mark,

Go to the Roland web site, find the page for the non-portable model with that action, and enter the appropriate ZIP code on the right side of *that page.* The site will return dealers for *that model* in the area. Different Roland dealers specialize in different lines of product.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You recall correctly. Besides Lande, I also studied with Mark Isham, Kenny Barron, Fred Hirsch, Barry Harris, Don Pullen and Cedar Walton, and Mark Levine.

WOW! I don't recall seeing that many names dropped so elegantly. And in only one streamlined sentence! I am impressed!

PS. I listen and practice alot.....

Hammond C3, Leslie 122, Steinway B, Wurlitzer 200A, Rhodes 73,

D6 Clav

I'll wait for April. Last night was a huge disappointment as the SF Guitar Centre sales guy failed to inform me they were holding a Scratch DJ clinic, so I was no allowed to try any keyboards. I was lucky that he let me spend two minutes quickly looking at them and trying a few notes on each with the volume off. My next opportunity is three weeks away, so I may as well wait until April.

I did get to retry the GEM PRP800 this morning as they have one at Leo's Pro Audio in Oakland. I spent a good hour with it to be sure of my decision, but it is a firm "no" as the keys wiggle from side to side a bit, are noisy, and aren't as fast as the ones on the Studiologic VMKplus series. So switching from the RP-x rack to the PRP700 keyboard would not make sense -- especially considering it has no controllers. I'll wait for the RD700GX, and if I don't like that, will wait for the Yamaha KX88 controller or an update to the Studiologic line.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I am locked in for a new Rd700GX, deposit done

I will have an arrival estimate in a day or 2

I did hear " April ' which is old news.

FWIW, I heard May 6 for my GX ( US)

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

There is a Carnes piano in Santa Clara (off of Winchester near Valley Fair) that had the Kawaii piano keyboards. They had the mp5 and the mp8II. They carry the EP2 but they were out of it that day.

They quoted me some pretty high prices even though I knew the prices on musicians friend.

I didn't like the touch on the mp5 (it had a plastic feel) but I did like the mp8II touch. The mp8II physical weight (not the key weight) was super heavy though so that was a major turn off. The sound was good BUT they didn't have amps to try it w/.

I'm waiting to see the RDX's at the local guitar center....

B.

www.brianho.net

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/brianho

www.youtube.com/brianhojazz

Is that the same Kawaii dealer near Santana Row ?

If so, I have been there. The place has a bad vibe. I wouldn't let my $ near them

[70's Songwriter]

Yeah that's the place near Santana Row. The place definitely had a slimy used car dealership feel. They quoted me $2500 for the MP8II even though it was $1895!!! I know that they're commission based but it's just terrible practice.

Then again......every keyboard and accessory that I've gotten I've had to "haggle" so that's nothing new......

www.brianho.net

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/brianho

www.youtube.com/brianhojazz

I am locked in for a new Rd700GX, deposit done

I will have an arrival estimate in a day or 2

I did hear " April ' which is old news.

FWIW, I heard May 6 for my GX ( US)

Well Roland Australia advised me they are due here mid March....strange that we would get them before US though ??

Roland RD700GX with Supernatural piano expansion, Nord Stage 2, Hammond SK1, Receptor VIP running Ivory Steinway 11, Galaxy Vintage D, Lounge Lizard and Scarbee Rhodes

Here in Norway, most of the web shops are saying the RD-700GX will be in store in mid march as well, but Roland Scandinavia told me the first shipments will arrive late March/early April. Haven't heard from my local store yet, though.

May 6th sounds way off, I wouldn't think the US would get it so much later than Norway (or later at all).. I'm used to new stuff reaching the US at least a few weeks before we get it here in Norway.

But I'm really looking forward to getting my RD-700GX, regardless of where it shows up first. I had second thoughts for a while, when I found a barely used Nord Stage for about the same price, but after trying it out a little, I found that the keybed on the Nord doesn't stand up to RD-700SX, and with the GX having an even better keybed... :)

PS: Sorry for my English, it's obviously not my mother tongue...

I have read those 'early ' mid march reports, too

The web shops in the US can be full of hokum with availability 'dates'

Typically, thats when they will gladly take your $$$$ and then ship the GX in late April

I would push them for more specifics and see if they fess up. Mid March is , wow, next week

If you do snag a GX in March, we would love to hear a report

I checked with my dealer, who called Roland US- late April to May 6. Nothing has changed on the GX arrival in the US from what I hear

[70's Songwriter]

PS: Sorry for my English, it's obviously not my mother tongue...

I don't see anything wrong with your english :) however, I do see something wrong with the price of beer in Norway (esp as I may be going to live in Norway for a few years) but thats another matter ;)

Prices in general are a bit stiff in Norway, yes. An example: the RD-700GX will probably end up costing around 18 000 kroner, or around $3400 here. List price is even higher, 20 000 kr or $3800... That's why it's so fun being a Norwegian tourist in any other country, everything is dirt cheap! :)

Thanks, Greg, that's a good video of the RD-700GX !

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

Hey bro, hows it going ?

BTW, we bump into each other on the Political forum ( I am SOHH)

I locked in my GX price( very pleased). I have a estimated dleivery date as I have noted above

[70's Songwriter]

Fine thanks.

In that video, the Japanese keyboardist says "the new Super Natural technology (EP) is not sampling and it's not modeling, it's a new technology called Super Natural":

http://www.roland.co.jp/mov/page/MonthlyPickup05/index.html?page=3&NB=no

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

The more I see of this piano, the more I like it. Can't wait to try one out in the flesh.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

Just a reminder - you can't "play" organ sounds on the digital pianos...you can recreate realistic organ sounds in classic songs but this is almost like being a human sequencer. You can't interact and actually play the organ sounds.

Once you have a dedicated organ board you can never go back.

Sounds like the new RD700GX may have better sounds and better action than the previous RD700SX but is built on the same programming OS.

Just a reminder - you can't "play" organ sounds on the digital pianos...you can recreate realistic organ sounds in classic songs but this is almost like being a human sequencer. You can't interact and actually play the organ sounds.

Once you have a dedicated organ board you can never go back.

Sounds like the new RD700GX may have better sounds and better action than the previous RD700SX but is built on the same programming OS.

I don't know about that. I use to have a B3/147 and I was able to adapt. No one will quibble that the 'real thing ' is best. But there are practicalities, trade-offs , that are possible.

Some/many of us have more than 1 board. The RD700sx has a perfectly good organ sound but its a bit difficult,with some parts, to rip on a weighed digital piano. I suppose I am working around that by having an Extreme/M3M and XS Motif

[70's Songwriter]

I've just been given an initial actual price in the UK (to be confirmed) for the GX and its around £1,279 as opposed to the £1599 RRP. Thats not a bad price... if it is that price I will be among the first people to get it for sure..

About organ riffs on a weighted keyboard... I think a lot is made of that.. I mean how many players really get to rip on an organ that it would make a difference? Very few I imagine.

I play a CX3 and 99% of the time its just simple comping and then I get to rip for a few bars here and there... for that the RD would be perfect...

Of course, if I was playing more in the jazz organ context I think I would prefer the CX... but heck the RD organ sounds sound great to me and I'm sure I could adapt!

Thanks for the clips. I must say that the Guitars Absolutly Rip on the G8 . I wonder if the 700-GX has the same?

GX should have some

Try a patch name compare

Even that might not be a sure thing

[70's Songwriter]

Ok I got around to ordering one.. will be in the first shipment to UK late April..

I saw the user manual online and am intrigued about the phrase triggering and the inbuilt drum patterns and even arpeggios. Are the drum patterns/arpeggios available on the SX? If so are they useful?

Price I think... the Fantom G8 RRP/MSRP is something like £2399 in UK.. with a shop price of probably £2000 or so..

So its almost twice the price. I may pick up a s/h G6 in the next year or so.. that would make an awesome combo... I also want a VSynth GT and Voyager... GAS... ;-)

Archived