Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

gibson vs fender

nath1142

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To quote the Scarecrow in the Wizard of Oz, "Some people DO go BOTH-WAYS!" :D

Ginger, or Marianne?

I do like both, though I'm pickier yet about a Fender or Fender-stylee than I would be about a Gibson or Gibson-stylee. Gibsons are a bit more comfy and cozy and all-around easier to play...

Fenders tend to have a more open, articulate, and defined voice, less forgiving, while Gibsons tend to have a warmer, cozier, more close kind of voice, more forgiving.

Someone (maybe it was Ted McCarty? Or one of Leo Fender's cadres?) was once quoted as observing that a chord played on a Fender sounded like a number of professional singers harmonizing together, while the same chord played on a Gibson sounded more like a family singing-group harmonizing together.

Much of this is due to their usual respective scale-lengths, but their usual pickup-types, hardware, and neck-joinery also contribute a lot to this. They truly are the apples and oranges of the electric guitar family tree...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

To quote the Scarecrow in the Wizard of Oz, "Some people DO go BOTH-WAYS!" :D

Ginger, or Marianne?

I do like both, though I'm pickier yet about a Fender or Fender-stylee than I would be about a Gibson or Gibson-stylee. Gibsons are a bit more comfy and cozy and all-around easier to play...

Fenders tend to have a more open, articulate, and defined voice, less forgiving, while Gibsons tend to have a warmer, cozier, more close kind of voice, more forgiving.

Someone (maybe it was Ted McCarty? Or one of Leo Fender's cadres?) was once quoted as observing that a chord played on a Fender sounded like a number of professional singers harmonizing together, while the same chord played on a Gibson sounded more like a family singing-group harmonizing together.

Much of this is due to their usual respective scale-lengths, but their usual pickup-types, hardware, and neck-joinery also contribute a lot to this. They truly are the apples and oranges of the electric guitar family tree...

Dude, some players love Les Pauls some players love both. Personally I like Fender styled guitars better. But I am not saying there aren't some cool Gibsons. I just would rather throw a double coil in a tele or a strat. I prefer it but the best guy I know plays Les Pauls only. Its preference. Maybe I will grow into them at some point and think thats the end all for me. Dunno

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y49/Rampdog/Ramps/maryannclose.jpg

Hmmmmmmm... I'm all over Maryanne like a hobo on a hot dog...

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y49/Rampdog/Ramps/Ginger.jpg

I'll play whatever Marianne wants me to...

Got both, and others - there's no longer just 2 brands worth having, but I have more Gibby's than any other brand - I find their diversity very tempting, and would still like a reverse Firebird, though I bet a G&L ASAT would win out if they were both available at the same time.
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

I think Cavean summed it up real well in his post above.

Personally, I love the sound some players coax from Fenders, but I'm currently going thru a phase where the feel of a Gibson (due to scale length, etc.) suits my playing style best.

Just a pinch between the geek and chum

My fav is an Aria - no, my Ibanez - wait! - My Frankencaster.

Eventually I gave up and built a Strat with 'Buckers!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v213/geoffbyrne/P1010163-1.jpg

:D

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y49/Rampdog/Ramps/maryannclose.jpg

Hmmmmmmm... I'm all over Maryanne like a hobo on a hot dog...

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y49/Rampdog/Ramps/Ginger.jpg

I'll play whatever Marianne wants me to...

"......like a Hobo on a Hot Dog" LMAO!! Love it!! :thu:

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

Ive got both but am loyal to neither. I will say this though, and its probably gonna upset the hard core Gibson guys, Gibson has got one of the worst QA/QC program going. There 1000-1500 dollar Gibsons (LP specials, faded series, firebird special etc) have easily some of the worst fret jobs, paint, finishing ive seen on any guitar. You should get what you pay for and for 1000-1500 bucks there are so many other companies making better guitars....and many of them overseas. The sad thing is people think, hey i can buy a les paul now because its finally affordable.

Ive got both but am loyal to neither. I will say this though, and its probably gonna upset the hard core Gibson guys, Gibson has got one of the worst QA/QC program going. There 1000-1500 dollar Gibsons (LP specials, faded series, firebird special etc) have easily some of the worst fret jobs, paint, finishing ive seen on any guitar. You should get what you pay for and for 1000-1500 bucks there are so many other companies making better guitars....and many of them overseas. The sad thing is people think, hey i can buy a les paul now because its finally affordable.

Thank you for saying the exact thing I've said for years.

If you have to go through a ton of Gibsons to find one made right... :rolleyes:

Having said that, a Gibson made right is fab, but....

No wonder PRS guitars are so popular today.

The typical off the rack Fender *today* is superior for construction. (In the 70s that wasn't true).

A Jazz/Chord Melody Master-my former instructor www.robertconti.com

(FKA GuitarPlayerSoCal)

I've gotta agree with ya, Mike and Carl! Very true. Even my main-squeeze- currently pictured in my avatar-image- has some buggy quality and craftsmanship issues. It was only because enough of what I wanted in an LP still came through, and at the right price ("used", but only pre-owned for about a month and barely played at all) that I bought it. I had played LPs in shops for more than a decade, only finding wonky ones, ones I didn't quite like the sound of, or a few nice ones that I couldn't afford!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Unfortunately, nowadays the praised business models are such that a company like Gibson is commended for having been able to figure out how much they can get away with, both in terms of lower quality and higher prices, while being able to keep milking a reputable name earned in a long ago era thanks to savvy marketing.

It's a sad world indeed when pride and honor go out the window.

Gibson has got one of the worst QA/QC program going. There 1000-1500 dollar Gibsons (LP specials, faded series, firebird special etc) have easily some of the worst fret jobs, paint, finishing ive seen on any guitar.

And the affordable ES137s are just embarrassing. Horrible finish, bad fret jobs, crappy paint. Every budget Carlo Robelli, Washburn, Oscar Schmidt, Ibanez Artcore, etc, I've run across in the last few years is much better detailed than the low end Gibson crap. Amazing.

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

Archived