Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

"Best" phaser for keyboards ?

analogholic

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quote by The Real MC:

"My MF Phaser doesn't lose any top end"

MC, maybe Tinder Arts has better hearing than you do at your "ripe" old age! :/

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Love my Phase 90 from the 70's. Even opened it up and played with the trim pot to screw with the delay - made it deeper and flangier.

Also had a Mutron that did the trick as well, not tomentio an occasional chorus unit or flanger. Haven't tried the reissues of any of these (though I've been tempted by the Line 6 stomp boxes).

Now I just use my Universal Audio Dimension D plug in and it sounds really great.

Quote by db:

"TinderArts ain't exactly what I'd call a spring chicken, brother Mike..."

Hmm..maybe MC's hearing isn't as good as it use to be, age withstanding. Mine isn't so great anymore either. But then, I'm 60. :sick:

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Quote by The Real MC:

"My MF Phaser doesn't lose any top end"

MC, maybe Tinder Arts has better hearing than you do at your "ripe" old age! :/

Stop whispering.

Whadayamean you're not whispering?

:wave:

I'll be 45 next month and my hearing examination this past summer showed zero degradation. I may have 60% hearing loss from a birth defect, but I thank the Lord that there's been no degradation over the years :thu: In fact my word recognition has improved over the years - that's a consequence of developing my ears in professional audio.

I tried the MF Phaser on my Rhodes. Disappointing on the Rhodes, but not bad on other things.

Hmmm...In what way was it disappointing?

Wasn´t it able to recreate those nice famous Phase 90 and Small Stone sounds, or was it something else?

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Check out this review I did for KB Mag earlier this year. I like the E-H Polyphase quite a bit.

Thanks for this one, I listened to some mp3:s of it here:

http://www.modezero.com/stereo-polyphase.htm

"clean guit" and "DX7 bell" sound very good to my ears, transparent, doesn´t..."take over"...

A lot of other phasers here:

http://www.modezero.com/gallery3.htm#ph1r

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

I tried the MF Phaser on my Rhodes. Disappointing on the Rhodes, but not bad on other things.

Wasn´t it able to recreate those nice famous Phase 90 and Small Stone sounds, or was it something else?

Yeah, really - I'd like to know this as well...I actually like it on EPs just fine, IMO....but then again, I'm not using a real Rhodes...

MC, did you try both 6 and 12 stage?

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Sorry to be so late to the party...

A few centuries ago, I had both the Phase 100 and the Small Stone, and I've used them on both Rhodes and Wurlitzer. If memory serves, I recall the sound of the Phase 100 as being a bit dirtier, more limited and noisier, but also 'warmer' - while the Small Stone had more possibilities, a cleaner signal path, but also a slightly 'colder' overall sound.

I'd say that the Phase 100 was perfect for the Wurlitzer, while the Small Stone seemed to be more suited for the Rhodes.

I've audition (briefly) the MoogerFooger phaser, and to my ears, it sounds amazing.

When I need phaser these days, I'm just using the K2600 internal effects - the KDFX phasers. They sound incredibly warm *and* detailed; I don't feel the need for anything else. :)

Sorry to be so late to the party...

Never too late for a good party...welcome :snax:

When I need phaser these days, I'm just using the K2600 internal effects - the KDFX phasers. They sound incredibly warm *and* detailed; I don't feel the need for anything else. :)

Damn, I bought a K2500RS, a while ago...a week later, the display went "white"...would love to try those KDFX stuff with Rhodes, Solina etc thru live mode...

Arthur Schopenhauer

Yeah, really - I'd like to know this as well...I actually like it on EPs just fine, IMO....but then again, I'm not using a real Rhodes...

MC, did you try both 6 and 12 stage?

Oh the phase sweep in 6/12 stage sounds sweet, that classic 70s sound. But when using the LFO on low frequencies, the phase shift sweeping slows down as the LFO waveform reaches the peaks. So the sweep effect is not constant. Sounds to me like the LFO waveform is sine and should be triangle.

That could easily be remedied as the MF pedal has a SWEEP input jack you can patch in an external LFO of your choice. Hmmm, my CP251 had a square/triangle LFO, and my Ring Mod has a square/sine LFO. Um, I'll be back :)

Way back when I had my Rhodes I used a Phase 90. Loved it. What i need to find now is a stereo phaser that can recreate that sound. I have only reverb and chorus on my piano, and I'd like to be able to get that effect when I'm playing the Rhodes sound. Since I run that board stereo, I need one that has stereo in and out. I looked at MF, and the closest I could find was mono in/stereo out.

Any suggestions?

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

OK, a little more research may have found my solution. I discovered that the Line 6 MM4 is full stereo, has the phaser, even a Leslie sim. It's a modulation modeler, with models based on the Fender Deluxe tremelo, the Phase 90, Mu-tron Bi-Phase, Fender Vibratone and Leslie 145. Includes some vintage flanger sounds as well as the Boss Chorus Ensemble.

One of my guitar players has one, and it sounded great.

I feel a twinge of GAS.

Willie Dixon

The BiPhase can be configured stereo, you just set sweep both phase shifters with the same LFO except switch 180 out of phase modulation to one of the phase shifters. Those Biphase sound like nothing else, they really mutant up the sound.

The MF phaser has stereo outputs too - AUX output.

I think the MM4 tremolo and phasers are quite good, the CE-1 emulation isn't bad, the others including the leslie are puke.

OK, a little more research may have found my solution. I discovered that the Line 6 MM4 is full stereo, has the phaser, even a Leslie sim. It's a modulation modeler, with models based on the Fender Deluxe tremelo, the Phase 90, Mu-tron Bi-Phase, Fender Vibratone and Leslie 145. Includes some vintage flanger sounds as well as the Boss Chorus Ensemble.

One of my guitar players has one, and it sounded great.

I feel a twinge of GAS.

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

I think the Vermona PH-16 and the MM4 are the only units with stereo in and out, and the Vermona is more interesting in series mono - gets you into the fucked up space territory inhabited by the Phase-90 and the Mutron. It does however serve up analog cream where the MM4 dual-phase sims are interesting but obviously digital. If you have some time to fritter away on such research check here for a pretty comprehensive list with specs:

http://filters.muziq.be/type/phaser

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

I've tried a slew of them and ended up keeping the Vermona PH-16 (analog dual phaser, stereo or series mono, dead quiet, very smooth like butter, single rack unit).

Wow...I thought this Vermona was some old vintage thing...

1. Have you tried it with Rhodes?

2. Can you use it as a stereo "phase 90, Small Stone thing" ?

In other words, get that classic 70´s vibe, but stereo?

Arthur Schopenhauer

The only drawback I see with the Vermona is that it's rack mount. While I like some rack mount stuff, sometimes I use a Peavey KB100 instead of my rack, so I'd have to take it out. I'd rather have it at my feet.

I need to hear them both. Then I can decide which to get.

Willie Dixon

The Vermona is analog, and though it's not a Smallstone or a Mutron, it does buttery smooth to spacey dual phaser shit without blinking and could probably do a passable imitation of either (I once had a Smallstone but they're noisy as hell). It sounds absolutely stunning on a Rhodes (or a good sim like that in Roland's SRX-12). There are a couple of Rhodes MP3s on the net that sold me but I can't locate them. All I found was this:

http://www.modezero.com/vermona-ph16.htm

The Line 6 unit is a completely different beast, digital and versatile. I mostly use it for tremolo at the end of the effects chain, where I needed a stereo in/out configuration as it sits the other side of the MuRF (mono in stereo out). The dual phaser sims are quite good at giving the Rhodes sound some aural interest.

For vintage 70s tone though the Vermona has it.

The phaser is primarily what I have in mind, but I might want to use some tremelo on my Whurli patch. I had planned to place it right after the board, then go to my mixer from there. Yeah, I could do that from the rack mount as well.

I'm kinda torn. I want that vintage 70's sound, but I need to be able to have it when I don't bring my rack. But then again, I don't want to have to go under my keyboards to change the settings from Phaser to Tremelo.

Willie Dixon

The Vermona is analog, and though it's not a Smallstone or a Mutron, it does buttery smooth to spacey dual phaser shit without blinking and could probably do a passable imitation of either (I once had a Smallstone but they're noisy as hell). It sounds absolutely stunning on a Rhodes (or a good sim like that in Roland's SRX-12). There are a couple of Rhodes MP3s on the net that sold me but I can't locate them. All I found was this:

http://www.modezero.com/vermona-ph16.htm

Yeah, I checked the modezero demos out, but those didn´t sound that impressive to me...but of course it´s hard to tell from mp3:s with different (and often) "bad" sources feeding the different phasers (and how those are set...)

From that site, I think the EH Stereo PolyPhase sounds best to me with the Moogerfooger as a close second...

Want to hear more of the Vermona though...especially on Rhodes

Arthur Schopenhauer

That could easily be remedied as the MF pedal has a SWEEP input jack you can patch in an external LFO of your choice. Hmmm, my CP251 had a square/triangle LFO, and my Ring Mod has a square/sine LFO. Um, I'll be back :)

OK I did some playing around last night with the CP251 and the MF Phaser.

There was a difference using the triangle waveform of the LFO, it sounded better on the Rhodes. So the internal LFO on the phaser is sine.

I also got some interesting results using square waveform routed through the lag processor. Varying trapezoidal shapes get some neat sweep effects!

Out of curiosity I hooked up the MF Ring Modulator to the Rhodes. I haven't found a setting where you can play chromatically yet, but I got some massive Big Ben tones out of it. You can go hog wild with this thing, I set up a sloooow modulation of frequency using the CP251 LFO, then a touch of square LFO.

Which one is your favorite phaser for keyboards (and why ?!?)

Here's a straightforward answer to your question. My favorite phaser is the one in a good quality modern synth. With a little eq and some grungification (say an amp sim) it will yield a close to vintage tone. However, it's settings and gain staging can be saved with a patch. This is not just a convenience issue. Once I find the "magic sound," I can pull it out whenever I need, which allows me to use it more often, and with more precise musical purpose. imo,

Jerry

Which one is your favorite phaser for keyboards (and why ?!?)

Here's a straightforward answer to your question. My favorite phaser is the one in a good quality modern synth. With a little eq and some grungification (say an amp sim) it will yield a close to vintage tone. However, it's settings and gain staging can be saved with a patch. This is not just a convenience issue. Once I find the "magic sound," I can pull it out whenever I need, which allows me to use it more often, and with more precise musical purpose. imo,

Jerry

I was ruminating over this as I drove back from a reggae gig in Laguna Beach tonight. 2 nights ago I was on a bill with another band and their keyboard player used a Rhodes and a Hohner Clavinet E6 through a Smallstone. Nothing wrong with that! But out front in the mix, did it sound tremendously better than my Motif XS does with it's killer and highly tweakable phasers? Not really. And what a PAIN to bring all of that and run the thing through his Fender amp and mic that and have it go to the house. Tonight the rhodes on my XS sounded pretty great with its built in phaser. And it doesn't weight much and it provides me with synths, brass, organs, and most things else I could care to program if I had time or need.

Now, in the studio may be a different story. I'm talking about live use here. But I'm feeling what you're saying Jerry.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

I'm feeling what you're saying Jerry.

I kinda have to agree as well. The phased patches (especially the EPs) in my ES8 are actually really great...and not just for live, either. The phased string synth all over my Comfortably Numb track is the ES8...

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Archived