Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Delay? Reverb?

arneyz

So I'm in the process of finding the sound I want to go for with this new band I've formed. I've always been heavily influenced by European post punk and American folk/rock music as well as jazz and progressive rock. I'm trying to combine these different genres (sounds hard doesn't it...) into this big messy "post progressive jazzy folk rock" album/compilation. OK, well its actually turning into a very European rock sound with little to no jazziness and some folksy acoustic songs.

...Anyway, I'm going for this really epic, atmospheric guitar sound and up 'till now I've just been cranking the reverb up to twelve on my Hot Rod DeVille. But it's just not enough to get that sound I hear in my head. I figure I'm gunna need to get a delay or reverb pedal but I don't know much about them. Like the differences and the different types. I heard somewhere that delay is to reverb what heavy distortion is to overdrive.

This Band has a similar guitar sound to what I'm looking for.

Any suggestions before I head out to the store?

Hooray for the Moon

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like to use the reverb in my amp and sometimes use a Marshall Echohead which has some interesting modes built in. I use the MultiTap mode most.

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

If you like your amp sound...as I do....I use the Boss ME-50.

It's not a modeller and is just effects for those that are happy with their amps.

The cool thing is...it's programmable so you can change song effects settings on the fly.

Randy

"Just play!"

If you like your amp sound...as I do....I use the Boss ME-50.

It's not a modeller and is just effects for those that are happy with their amps.

The cool thing is...it's programmable so you can change song effects settings on the fly.

Randy

Um, thats a little bigger than what I need. Looking for a single effect pedal.

Hooray for the Moon

Since you already have reverb...I would say add the delay, and then using both delay AND reverb, you should be able to get the extreme atmosphere...especially if you use multiple delay repeats, but set the level rather light, so you don't hear the repeats too distinctly.

Keep in mind...when you run delay and reverb that high up...your guitar will not sound very up front...but yeah, it will surely have extreme atmosphere.

Oh...if you want some serious atmosphere...check out something like the old tape delays...like the Roland Space Echo...find something with Sound-On-Sound, and you can get some cosmic atmosphere (mmmm...well, there's no atmosphere out in space, but you know what I mean. :) )

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

So I'm in the process of finding the sound I want to go for with this new band I've formed. I've always been heavily influenced by European post punk and American folk/rock music as well as jazz and progressive rock. I'm trying to combine these different genres (sounds hard doesn't it...) into this big messy "post progressive jazzy folk rock" album/compilation. OK, well its actually turning into a very European rock sound with little to no jazziness and some folksy acoustic songs.

...Anyway, I'm going for this really epic, atmospheric guitar sound and up 'till now I've just been cranking the reverb up to twelve on my Hot Rod DeVille. But it's just not enough to get that sound I hear in my head. I figure I'm gunna need to get a delay or reverb pedal but I don't know much about them. Like the differences and the different types. I heard somewhere that delay is to reverb what heavy distortion is to overdrive.

This Band has a similar guitar sound to what I'm looking for.

Any suggestions before I head out to the store?

That guitar sound is what everybody was doing in the new wave era.....early '80's.

Somebody on our forum MUST have been doing that, and can tell you how they got the sound??????

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

I like to use the reverb in my amp and sometimes use a Marshall Echohead which has some interesting modes built in. I use the MultiTap mode most.

+1 for the Echohead.

The sound is good, there are 6 modes (modulation delay is great) and it's cheap ...

If you can try one in a shop, just do it ...

That clip sounds to me like a combo of delay and reverb, maybe with a touch of chorus.

Two delay pedals that I've owned which are versatile, reasonably priced, and pretty widely available are the Boss DD-5 or DD-6 (the DD-5 has been discontinued and replaced by the DD-6, but you can still find DD-5s around or buy one used on eBay) and the Digitech Digidelay.

That guitar sound is what everybody was doing in the new wave era.....early '80's.

Does it ever! I can't believe it!

Man that tone screams Cactus World News!

I really like it. :thu:

The effect combination you need is overdrive>delay>chorus>reverb.

You want to take it easy on the overdrive and chorus.

I think the classic combination to get this tone would be either an Ibanez Tube Screamer or Boss Super Overdrive run into into an analog delay plugged into a Roland JC-120 amp using the amp's built in chorus and reverb.

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

Well, the deal is...you may want some modulation..ie..Chorus, Flange, Phasing, etc...

There is also a smaller Boss unit...the ME-20 I think.

The ME-50 & ME-20 aren't very much more than a single effect unit.

With those units..you get Delays, Reverbs, Modulation, Compression, and much more and all programmable.

About $199+ I believe.

Just my opinion.

Randy

"Just play!"

Damn....just watched & listened to the vid.

Is that U2 with make up? ;):D

Randy

After watching the video again I thought they might be the reincarnation of Joy Division.

I actually like it. I added them to my launchacast radio favorites.

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

Damn....just watched & listened to the vid.

Is that U2 with make up? ;):D

Randy

After watching the video again I thought they might be the reincarnation of Joy Division.

The lead singer is actually a big fan of Joy Division's Ian Curtis. Hence the droning baritone vocals.

Ell, I have no idea what that is but I want one.

I think the guitarist in that vid is actually using an octaver, not chorus. But I'm not an expert by any means.

Whats the difference between tape delay and digital delay?

Hooray for the Moon

....Whats the difference between tape delay and digital delay?

Tape delay sounds more "organic" because of the natural loss of high frequencies with each repeat and the "wobbliness" of the mechanis of the unit. Digital delays generally sound more cold and sterile than their tape or analog counter parts.

I am a fan of bucket brigade analog delays like those manufactured by DOD, Electro Harmonix and Boss in the 80s (actually, EH still makes them in the Memory Man line). Vintage Boss units are usually a bit pricey. The old DOD models can generally be had for pretty cheap, usually under $100.

I used to use one of these. It sounded excellent and was very relaible.

The H2O is a bucket brigade...AND...it's delay and chorus in one unit!

I own one of those as well and it sounds great!

Hey man, with that Fender amp you have, your reverb should be fine!

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Boss-ME20-Multieffect-Guitar-Pedal?sku=152268

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/4/7/4/539474.jpg

http://www.visualsound.net/v2h2o.htm

http://www.visualsound.net/images/v2/large/V2%20H20%200907.JPG

"Just play!"

....Whats the difference between tape delay and digital delay?

Tape delay sounds more "organic" because of the natural loss of high frequencies with each repeat and the "wobbliness" of the mechanis of the unit. Digital delays generally sound more cold and sterile than their tape or analog counter parts.

I am a fan of bucket brigade analog delays like those manufactured by DOD, Electro Harmonix and Boss in the 80s (actually, EH still makes them in the Memory Man line). Vintage Boss units are usually a bit pricey. The old DOD models can generally be had for pretty cheap, usually under $100.

I used to use one of these. It sounded excellent and was very relaible.

I've always liked DOD's OD pedals. I'm intrigued by these old delay pedals now.

But where does analog fit in the mix with tape and digital? As far as sound goes.

Hooray for the Moon

...But where does analog fit in the mix with tape and digital? As far as sound goes.

To me analog pedals are closer in sound to tape than digital (This is a vast generalization. I'm certain there are exceptions, particularly once you get into modeling pedals like those from Line 6)

http://www.line6.com/tonecore/images/pedals/echoPark.gif

This is a very versatile pedal. The Line 6 demo mp3s give a good representation of how the different types of delay sound compared to each other.

Archived