Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Led Zeppelin in a few hours....

Tonysounds

Plus....taking chances by its very definition implies there is a risk of failure, as well as a risk of success; guaranteeing unmusical results by playing things in a key a singer cant work in isnt taking chances, its stupidity, hubris and embarrassing.
Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been a lead vocalist for a long time, so I'm not just mouthing off when I complain about vocals. But I'm learning to accept that nothing lasts forever, and you can't expect a 60 year old to cut it like he did when he was in his 20s. Time takes its toll. However, what's the point of tuning down a whole step if you're going to sing the parts an octave lower anyway? And yes Plant was struggling in 1973 to pull this stuff off so how good could it be now? Complaints aside, I'm excited and inspired the band reunited, and it even made NBC Nightly News!

Praise where it's due, Whole Lotta Love is in the right key, and Plant is hitting some good high notes here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Iy_13KQ24M&feature=related

John

However, what's the point of tuning down a whole step if you're going to sing the parts an octave lower anyway?

I agree, but I have managed to listen to 10 or 12 of the 16 tunes Zep did - and Robert didn't sing anything I heard an octave lower. About half were lowered a full step, and this allowed him to sing several of them WAY better than I've heard in a long time.

I just wish they had done "When the Levee Breaks".

Moe

---

Yeah, I've been very impressed and happy with what I've seen and heard from o2. PISSES ME OFF that I won't get to see them cuz they're not going to tour. Hopefully the DVD will be out soon.
Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Alot of Black Dog is an octave lower plus the the whole step that the song is lowered:

It's no big deal, I'm happy they're back. Sting did it too all night back in June, but it still was a great show. I don't want to make it sound like I'm saying "that totally sucked".

John

Odd that a Keyboard forum wasn't aware that Wakeman and Emerson played prior to Zep at this show (that's what I heard, anyway). But, the music press seems to have ignored it, too. :D

We knew, but it was discussed in another thread. :P

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Alot of Black Dog is an octave lower plus the the whole step that the song is lowered:

It's no big deal, I'm happy they're back. Sting did it too all night back in June, but it still was a great show. I don't want to make it sound like I'm saying "that totally sucked".

John

After all every singer uses his range, the important thing is how....a singer at 60 can't have the same range as at 25...sincerely I found lower ranges potentially more interesting, not forgetting that the overall one tone lower tuning makes that rock sound fatter.

Music is not sport, it's feeling.

I can't really understand the fine details from the youtube stuff but it seems to me that this show is vocally way better than many other they have done back in the old days....maybe they should have tuned down earlier...

Guess the Amp

.... now it's finished...

Here it is!

A lot of rock fans are really fixated on how high someone can sing, and curiously, that someone who has aged can might not be able to hit high notes anymore, as if this is indicative of the quality of the singer. I've always found this rather odd.

Odd that a Keyboard forum wasn't aware that Wakeman and Emerson played prior to Zep at this show (that's what I heard, anyway). But, the music press seems to have ignored it, too. :D

Wakeman did not play. He had other commitments when the show was rescheduled after Page injured his finger. Emerson played "Fanfare" with White and Squire but I think they only got to do the one tune.

Moe

---

Archived