Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Just the one act ??

The Big G

I have been lucky enough to see so many great acts play live but if you could see just one from any period of time who would it be?

For me it would be Elvis, not a musician of any note but an outstanding performer.

G

Love life, some twists and turns are more painful than others, but love life.....

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=592101

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depends...whether I wanted just to see the person/band memmbers "live" or if I wanted to hear the best act live...from the past.

As far as Elvis...the best time I would like to have seem him would have been right at the start..when he was just too freaky cool.

Later on...with all the kung-fu and the rhinestone suits...naaaaa.

Besides him...damn...ahhh...Cream...Zep...Yardbirds....Beatles...Deep Purple...there are too many I missed out on.

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

The Who, early 70s.

(I would also have mentoned the Beatles, but during their touring years you would probably hear nothing but screaming from the audience...maybe if I could have been on the rooftop during the "Let It Be" sessions.)

John

I saw the Stones and the Who back in the day (mid 70's anyway...). Saw Springsteen in a small theater before he got really huge. I saw Stevie Ray from about 10 feet away before "Texas Flood" came out.

But I never got to see Hendrix. So he's my one act...

The Yardbirds with Jimmy Page and Jeff Beck on dual lead guitar.

Zeppelin in about '69 or '70. (Or really from any time in their career.

Jimi Hendrix at Monterey Pop Festival or in London right before "Are You Experienced?" came out.

KISS in about '77.

The Beatles at the Cavern or in Hamburg.

The Doors.

Early Elvis.

Link Wray in the late '50s or early '60s.

The Who

But if I had to pick just one, it would be Zeppelin.

Avoid playing the amplifier at a volume setting high enough to produce a distorted sound through the speaker-Fender Guitar Course-1966

Yeah definitely Hendrix. And if we're being picky I'd say circa 1967 or '68 preferably. I'm still hoping I get a chance to see David Gilmour at some point too although I'm sure it's going to cost a boatload if he goes on tour again (which I really hope he does).
Then you'll never hear surf music again...

Yeah definitely Hendrix. And if we're being picky I'd say circa 1967 or '68 preferably. I'm still hoping I get a chance to see David Gilmour at some point too although I'm sure it's going to cost a boatload if he goes on tour again (which I really hope he does).

sauce you will get to see gilmour mate and he is worth it... the last time i saw him was pink meltdown at the Royal festival hall in london and he was awesome.

G

Love life, some twists and turns are more painful than others, but love life.....

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=592101

One of the very, very best rock concerts I ever caught was David Gilmour ("solo", with a band, not with Pink Floyd), on the About Face tour. Since seeing a number of Floyd vids, I have absolutely no regrets about catching him on a "solo-album" tour! (That show was THAT good.) Mick Ralphs, from Bad Co., was his "second", too. Great drummer (Chris Slade- The Firm, AC/DC), bassist (Pino Paladino on fretless), keyboardist (can't recall his name), saxaphonist (Raphael Ravenscroft), and auxiliary-percussionist(can't recall her name); got to hang out with the sax-player and aux-percusionist before the show, too, though I didn't put 2 and 2 together and know who they were.

Too hard to pin down one "desert-island" gig to daydream about catching!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Muddy Waters would be cool, too. :thu:

I was lucky to catch Muddy a couple of years before he died.

He was working with Johnny Winter then, and I got to see Johhny, James Cotton and Muddy play together! :thu:

Cool, I'm jealous! :D

I've been trying to catch as many of the older (no disrespect meant by the word "older") acts that I can, cause, unfortunately, some may not be around much longer. I just bought Van Halen tickets today (you never know if they'll ever tour again), saw Sammy Hagar (Sam is 60 you know) about a month ago, and just saw that B.B. King will be in Tulsa in January. I saw B.B. about 10 years or so ago and I will not miss him this time around either. :thu:

Avoid playing the amplifier at a volume setting high enough to produce a distorted sound through the speaker-Fender Guitar Course-1966

Led Zeppelin in early years. This is the one I really wished I could have seen.

But consider these:

Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Charlie Parker or any number of jazz greats in the years where you could see them in a club after hours.

Bach improvising.

Hendrix far away, every show (well shouldn't say every, but the one's where he wasn't stoned out of his mind) was something completely new and different. IMHO, I believe the only way to ever hear the sounds of a Hendrix concert again, would be to record it. Band Of Gypsys for example, was an example of his live capabilities.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=810593

http://www.myspace.com/dandelavega

Hendrix at any of these concerts that I've seen on YouTube where he was able to channel the magic: Woodstock, Band of Gypsies, Newport, Berkley.

I think I'd risk my life to get up close to the stage, but ear plugs would probably be advised!

And if there were club dates for the Miles Davis Kind of Blue lineup, well that seems like it would've been an incredible thing to witness.

(..the Beatles....maybe if I could have been on the rooftop during the "Let It Be" sessions.)

Yeah I could seriously get into time traveling to that one!!!! :eek:

Just a pinch between the geek and chum

I never saw Zeppelin...

Stevie Ray....DAMN IT! :D

The Who.

I DID SEE.....

Pink Floyd..THE WALL tour in Germany in the 80's + Momemtary Lapse of Reason tour.

Eric Clapton...twice.

Boston.

Heart.

The Doobie Brothers.

BB King & Bobby Blue Bland.

The Rolling Stones.

Rush.

Jerry Lee Lewis

Robin Trower in a club.

Pat Benetar in a club.

But....I'm probably bragging. ;):D

"Just play!"

sauce you will get to see gilmour mate and he is worth it... the last time i saw him was pink meltdown at the Royal festival hall in london and he was awesome.

G

That's awesome. You're a lucky man.

Then you'll never hear surf music again...

Uhm... perhaps the Stones, circa 1972. There's a nice bootleg of them in Philadelphia which sounds like it was a great concert.

Maybe that one-off gig where the Pistols played headliner to The Jam would be nice, but I wouldn't want to see that girl get bottled and lose an eye.

I've seen the Velvet Underground during their reformation tour, but they didn't rock my boat. Maybe seeing them in a small club during their heyday would have been better.

Perhaps the safest bet would be to be in the audience for The Last Waltz because you got to see a lot of acts at the same time and they threw in a turkey dinner as well. :D Either that or some gig from the "good" half of the Rolling Thunder Revue.

Saw Hendrix two nights in a row in Tulsa and Okla City in June of 70.Four months later he was gone.

Where did he play? The Civic Center? That had to be an awesome show. I never knew that Hendrix played here in town. Did you see Zeppelin in Tulsa at the Civic Center in '69, or in OKC at the Myriad-'77?

Uhm... perhaps the Stones, circa 1972.

Mmm hmmm that coulda been great timing, especially since they were in their prime and just wrapping their best ever 4 year run of albums (IMO).

Just a pinch between the geek and chum

Mmm hmmm that coulda been great timing, especially since they were in their prime and just wrapping their best ever 4 year run of albums (IMO).

Yeah, with MICK TAYLOR on guitar. Brian Jones was cool, but hell, Mick Taylor's Mick Taylor. They never sounded so good again. In 1972 they would have been touring Exile and Sticky Fingers. Wow, just wow.

I would have a very hard time choosing between these two:

Elvis - w/Scotty & Bill in 1955 at a high school gymnasium.

The Beatles - at the Cavern in 1962 right when Ringo replaced Pete but before "Love Me Do" was released.

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

Yeah, with MICK TAYLOR on guitar. Brian Jones was cool, but hell, Mick Taylor's Mick Taylor. They never sounded so good again. In 1972 they would have been touring Exile and Sticky Fingers. Wow, just wow.

Wow is right Vince!!! :love::thu::rawk:

Archived