Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

All that glitters is gold?????

Mudcat

I stumbled across a very interesting Slate article about "Stairway to Heaven" and the Led Zeppelin reunion concert coming up next week:

If Led Zeppelin reunites, will they play the song that almost destroyed them?

By Andrew Goodwin

EXCERPT:

"Led Zeppelin, which is reuniting for a one-off charity gig in London on Dec. 10, appears to be positioning itself to make the Biggest News in the History of Rock: a new album and world toura prospect described by Billboard's Ray Waddell as "like twenty Super Bowls rolled into one." While there are still many obstacles to a Zeppelin tour, the most vexing may be that Robert Plant will have to overcome his reluctance to sing the song that has done the most damage to the band......"

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think so.......

Methinks the writer was staining for an article. :confused:

Speaking of Stairway... YouTube......

Stairway 2

I agree. I don't think that Zeppelin's place in rock history hinges on whether or not they play 'Stairway' at the concert.

As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly!

I found a couple of thngs interesting about the article: First was Plant's preference to not sing the song anymore. Second was the writer's analysis of how "Stairway" does not fit in musically with Zeppelin's other music.

Of course, "All of My Love" is also a bit of a "one off" as well.

As far as playing "Stairway" live goes, I think it would be a good idea for LZ to bring along some backing musicians to fill things out for the tour. My 2 cents.

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

I fail to see where in the article it proves that "Stairway" "almost detroyed" Led Zeppelin. With an assertion of that nature, I was expecting to read of fist-fights as one or more members of the band refused to play the song. Of tensions as contractual obligations that forced them to play a hated tune and so on. And all it says is that people liked it, played it at weddings and held up cigarette lighters when LZ played the song live. Oh, and that it's not much like other Led Zeppelin songs.

Whoop-dee-effing-doo. :P:D

I don't think so.......

Methinks the writer was staining for an article. :confused:

Speaking of Stairway... YouTube......

Stairway 2

http://www.websmileys.com/sm/happy/783.gif

Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

As far as playing "Stairway" live goes, I think it would be a good idea for LZ to bring along some backing musicians to fill things out for the tour. My 2 cents.

I don't think they need to. Page played the double neck SG, & Jones added Hammond & Mellotron parts when they played it live. Check some of the YouTube clips. They kicked ass on 'Stairway' live.

And, based on one of the YouTube vids I've seen of a 90's revival version, the problem wasn't Plant, who sang great. It was Page, who looked like a beginner on 'Stairway'. Even the greats have off nights.

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

This makes no sense. Stairway is Led Zeppelin's flagship song, the way Freebird and Sweet Home Alabama are for Lynyrd Skynyrd or Carry on My Wayward Son and Dust in the Wind are for Kansas. Wierd ones are things like All of My Love and Fool in the Rain, which are also among my favorites. No doubt we won't get those.

John

IMO, based on the way Zeppelin pretty much had complete control over every aspect of their career, I think that if they got tired of, or didn't want to play any certain song, they simply would not play it. Look at how rockin' Zeppelin I was, then to follow up with II, taking it to another level. Then next thing you know, here's III, with a couple of rockers, but for the most part a complete departure from I and II. They didn't do it cause that's what people expected, they did it cause that's the record that they wanted to make at that particular time. I think they pretty much did that with every record from there on out thru "In Through The Out Door". Each one of their records, I personally think, stands on its own. But, I am a huge fan so that last statement may be a little biased. ;):D Sounds to me like the author of the article is basically an idiot and doesn't know the first thing about Zeppelin.

I've seen interviews with all 3 surviving members over the years and they all 3 say that they would not want to carry on without their dear friend Bonzo. Page says that he wouldn't be able to stand looking back at the drum kit every night and not see Bonzo there. I think it was a decision solely based on total respect for John Bonham.

Avoid playing the amplifier at a volume setting high enough to produce a distorted sound through the speaker-Fender Guitar Course-1966

Hopefully Page breaks his arms and Plant loses his voice and the supposed tour is cancelled. I dont think i can handle another great at one time band make a comeback without a key member and sound like 1/2 of what they should. You know Plant cant sing anymore and Page is definelty not in the same ballpark as he use to be. JP Jones though, he's put out some very progressive stuff and his playing is just awesome. Dont hate me, im seriously there biggest fan.

yes i am a big fan of Zep and i am concerned that it will be horrible, Page is a shadow of his former self, not so sure about Plant but suspect he cant really dig it like he used to, so even though the hype is massive I think a disappointment is on its way for everyone waiting...

Everybody has their time and Zep's time is past sadly.

G

Love life, some twists and turns are more painful than others, but love life.....

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=592101

This guy clearly didn't do his homework. A classic example of lazy internet journalism.

Ask not what your guitar can do for you, rather ask you can do for your guitar without provoking a divorce or a visit from the police.

- with profound apologies to JFK

I read a recent interview and they all said they were open to a reunion of sorts. They just don't want to be pushed into it. I think if they do it they should write new material and avoid the old stuff for the most part. Who knows they may have some great songs in them yet. Page also said he had some songs that he was willing to contribute to the effort. I would give them the benefit of the doubt on this one. Besides other old rock bands are still playing and they do fine. I think they were better in the studio than live anyway but thats just my opinion. Page was a master of recording techniques.

Archived