Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Orange first jam

Guitarzan

well i tried the TT at a jam today at our social club. the room is quite large and i never took the amp over half. the drummer (an awesome one at that) could hear me fine.

we used the club's small PA for vocals and my bud Wayne used his strat and rectoverb.

i was suprised that the TT hung as easily.

the max i had the gain on was 1:00 for tush and la grange. oh and maybe Hey joe.

i did manage to get some nice cleans ( for the Eagles and Tom Petty)by tapping my buckers with the gain on 11:00.

hell i even got some juice for "Grinder" ( Ok maybe 2:00 max).

if i would have pinned the dials i am sure the drummer would have dissappeared.

awesome.

too bad the Behringer cab doesn't do the bugger justice.

we had a blast and we plan on getting together regular. i am pumped to play with such a good drummer.

it was the first time in my life i got thru "gimme three steps"..i am not familiar with alot of Skynyrd and i don't usually feel the song right.

had loads of fun and we weren't too shabby.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's great, I'm glad the little guy is working for you. It's nice to know that the Terror can keep up with drummer and second guitarist. That is generally where my Epi VJ head comes up a little weak. I can't work any real clean tones because the other guitarist will drown me out.

That's great, I'm glad the little guy is working for you. It's nice to know that the Terror can keep up with drummer and second guitarist. That is generally where my Epi VJ head comes up a little weak. I can't work any real clean tones because the other guitarist will drown me out.

my cleans had a touch of dirt if i pushed it. but mostly clean in a Vox way.

i was amazed at the tones i was getting that i never had before.

i would love to hear some single coils thru it. P90's or a strat/tele. all i need is a solid OD to give a mild bump when i go for a solo. i am not 100% comfortable doing the geetar volume thing.

i would love to hear some single coils thru it. P90's or a strat/tele. all i need is a solid OD to give a mild bump when i go for a solo. i am not 100% comfortable doing the geetar volume thing.

You could always go for a volume pedal or even just a boost. I use the EHX LPB1. It's a great little pedal

i am not 100% comfortable doing the geetar volume thing.

How bout you turn the amp up higher, but use your guitar volume to adjust?

ah..i did say i wasn't 100% comfortable with doing that.

i am fine with going from clean to crunch, me wants the boost to be above that. i don't want to "fish" the volume pot for three spots.

oh yeah, i got some major ballsy tones toward the end of the jam.

i just find if i am trying to do all three tones with the volume i sometimes go too low when dialing back to crunch rythym. the taper of the volume pot isn't quite right on the Godin.

so i think a little lead boost (not much mind you) would be easier with my foot.

"...i am not 100% comfortable doing the geetar volume thing."

Oh, man, 'Zan- give it a fair try! Set your amp for an overdriven tone, and louder than you intend to play; roll-off the guitar's volume-control until it sounds clean, dial-in the tone-controls on the amp to enhance that clean tone, and play for a while. Then roll-up the guitar's volume-knob a bit, to the point of a more overdriven "crunch/rhythm" tone, play a bit, and then turn up the wick again for lead-tones. Roll back again for clean.

Don't worry about whether or not the guitar's volume-knob is ever full-up while trying this out, or whether the amp's controls seem dialed to odd settings; go completely by ear here!

I was always a guitar-volume-&-tone-full-up-all-the-time player for years, and then I really gave this a go with a tube-amp that had previously frustrated me; it was the key to getting the best out of both the amp and my LP, really!

I'd think that the Orange Terror would be great for this...

i just find if i am trying to do all three tones with the volume i sometimes go too low when dialing back to crunch rythym. the taper of the volume pot isn't quite right on the Godin.

so i think a little lead boost (not much mind you) would be easier with my foot.

Oh, I see; well, try a little again, with the amp's volume turned up higher than you intend to play at, even for leads; this may alter the perceived dynamic interaction of the Godin's volume-pot... maybe; worth further research...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

i am thinking about the 1x12 orange cab. but i want to make sure it isn't "boxy" sounding.

Zan...I'm sure the Orange cabs will be nice...

...but I wholeheartedly recommend you check out the Avatar cabs, as I just recently picked up two of them.

A Vintage 112 and a Vintage 212...both open-back cabs with Celestion G12H30 speakers (they rock)!

The sound of these cabs is H-U-G-E...and definitely NOT boxy! :thu:

Avatar also sells a lot of cabs on eBay...so you can pick one up for a great price every once in awhile. That's how I got the 112...for only $207 - shipped! :)

http://www.avatarspeakers.com/list%20vintage%20guitar.htm

http://www.avatarspeakers.com/pictures/vintage%20112.jpg

http://www.avatarspeakers.com/pictures/vintage%20212.jpg

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

Hahaha, I was just going to write about Avatar. Their prices have gone up since I ordered mine, but it seems they're still a good value. Shouldn't be boxy if you get a half-open bakc one, right Miro? I think their "regular" ones are easier to carry than the "vintage"-looking ones, and more affordable.

I've heard great things said of Eminence's Wizard speakers.

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

--from 'Beyond Good and Evil', by Friedrich Nietzsche

My MySpace Space

"...i am not 100% comfortable doing the geetar volume thing."

Oh, man, 'Zan- give it a fair try! Set your amp for an overdriven tone, and louder than you intend to play; roll-off the guitar's volume-control until it sounds clean, dial-in the tone-controls on the amp to enhance that clean tone, and play for a while. Then roll-up the guitar's volume-knob a bit, to the point of a more overdriven "crunch/rhythm" tone, play a bit, and then turn up the wick again for lead-tones. Roll back again for clean.

Don't worry about whether or not the guitar's volume-knob is ever full-up while trying this out, or whether the amp's controls seem dialed to odd settings; go completely by ear here!

I was always a guitar-volume-&-tone-full-up-all-the-time player for years, and then I really gave this a go with a tube-amp that had previously frustrated me; it was the key to getting the best out of both the amp and my LP, really!

I'd think that the Orange Terror would be great for this...

Oh, I see; well, try a little again, with the amp's volume turned up higher than you intend to play at, even for leads; this may alter the perceived dynamic interaction of the Godin's volume-pot... maybe; worth further research...

i won't give up. i did try to tread lightly so not offend Wayne and Mike. but toward the end i got a tone compliment on Hey joe during an extended lead break.

and some cool harmonics during my index finger nail solo ( hand in normal pick holding pos yet no pick).

it was the first jam for the three of us and i didn't want to be overbearing.

that did wear off towards the end :D

'Zan, if you just want a light, transparent boost into crunch, try a Marshall Bluesbreaker II in Boost (not Fuzz) mode. Really nice - in front of the clean channel on my Laney, it pushes it over into a really crunchy crunch!! :)

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

You could always go for a volume pedal or even just a boost. I use the EHX LPB1. It's a great little pedal

I've got the EHX LPB1, and it gives my little Epiphone Valve Special just the boost I was looking for. And for $39US from MF, it's a smokin' deal!

As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly!

I'm kind of wondering how one of these TTs would work with my band... we've reached a point of what some may call ludicrous loudness. I wish I could snag one of these TTs and bring it to rehearsal and see if it'd hold up. That'd be incredibly cool... I've been sorta jonesing on an Orange, but I don't know if I can justify the $1k+ expense for one of the bigger ones.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

I'm kind of wondering how one of these TTs would work with my band... we've reached a point of what some may call ludicrous loudness. I wish I could snag one of these TTs and bring it to rehearsal and see if it'd hold up. That'd be incredibly cool... I've been sorta jonesing on an Orange, but I don't know if I can justify the $1k+ expense for one of the bigger ones.

I bet it would NOT! not even close!!

I bet it would NOT! not even close!!

Yeah. I think not as well. If I want some Orange in my life, I'm gonna have to make the investment in something with 50 watts at least.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Archived