Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

turntable installation

tomtele

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you don't have a true phonograph input...you will need something like this to get the right level/equalization....otherwise it will sound like crap.

(There are other brands)

http://www.americanmusical.com/images/d/p33645d.jpg

You can get one here:

http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-ART-DJPREII.html

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

Get a new needle cartridge for it, too. I replaced mine a couple of years ago, and hadn't since I got it over 10 years ago. WOW, what a difference a new needle makes. It took me a couple of days to find one, but it sure was worth it.

Avoid playing the amplifier at a volume setting high enough to produce a distorted sound through the speaker-Fender Guitar Course-1966

The 1200 tracks pretty heavy. Tears up the records, but was a popular DJ model after the 1800.

You'll probably need all new rubber parts, but they are very cheap (projector and recorder belt company... they have a new name, but still sell all the old parts... google them.)

You'll want a gage to set the stylus to track true (get L & R balanced, etc) and as others have mentioned, you'll want a phono preamp. There are cheap ones, there are better ones, your own tweakyness will decide... but they are the same as guitars, amps, mics, A/D converters, speakers, etc.... you can buy cheap, or you can buy good, but you cannot buy good cheap.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Archived