Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha S90es and a Leslie?

Darrinboy

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you use the Song/Mix mode, you should consider not only sending the organ part (any 1 of 16, your choice) to a separate mono output (for connection to a Leslie pre-amp...you should turn off the Leslie insert effect so that you get a pure Leslie sound.

If you have an unweighted external MIDI Controller MIDI'ed into the S90ES, you can use one part for your upper manual voice, and another part for your lower manual voice, routing both of them through the separate mono output to the Leslie (again with the Insert Effects turned off).

Bonus, by switching which part of the Song/Mix mode your controlling on the S90ES, you can play a piano part (or any of the other 14 parts) on the weighted S90ES (with its Insert Effects on, into your sound system) while triggering your Organ voice from your unweighted external controller (through the Leslie). Yeah, it's not like having a separate B3 Clone and a Leslie, but much less expensive.

Another bonus...once you've made the small investment in an external MIDI Controller, you can set up all of your other favorite sounds in your remaining 14 parts, and choose which part you want to trigger from either keyboard. Just make sure that the MIDI Controller you select can easily change MIDI transmit channels and you're good to go!

omg....what'd I say about Herbie? You know, half the time I don't know what I'm talking' about.

man after my own heart with that (omg-half the time ... )

I think you said you couldn't figure out how Herbie was thinking when he was approaching voicing, and his line too, i'm sure it was you ...was awhile ago. i don't know if I'm up to any long thing on this but i think he was just playing free and hearing his intervals in an unstructured way with very little intellectualizing. . thats all, it was the way you put it. . . i kept thinking about it and i listened to the track you put up.

I'm hoping on getting the CD as my Xmas present to myself, i often have a Xmas cd i make something i wait for. that's the only problem.

he does that often, like a toss of the dice, i'm sure he knows what it all is but for that moment doesn't need to. That's the artist. exercising the option

that's all ...

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Oh yea, I was trying to figure out the logic to that intro on Court & Spark. I love that. If I think F root on that opening line, he's playing 9, -3,-7, 1 and the next phrase he's using 9, -3, 4(11). He harmonizes them all with a M3 below except for the 4(Bb) where he places a B below it and treats it like an A# or 7. B is the split octave of F. 6 away in both directions. His next root moves to Db which is a M3 below F, his next root goes to A which is a M3 below Db, then he goes in half steps to F which is a M3 below A. He just gets so much out of that interval right off the bat, it just made me go hhmmm, what am I missing in my shit.

..but remember,I dunno....just a thought

linwood,

I'm looking forward to picking up the CD at Xmas. I have an affinity for Herbie. Thanks for the breakout on the voicings. I'll have to check it out. I like people that can get to places in unusual ways. Proves that life can be lived with it's options factored in, like Herbie.

lb

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

It's interesting to me. Equal divisions/moves.

I copied & pasted your analysis into a Word Doc.. I'll put it on the piano for Xmas week. Got a week off!

Tanks! Ho-Ho-Hey!

Archived