Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha S90es and a Leslie?

Darrinboy

Hey Y'all,

Regretfully I sold my B3 2 years ago. I have sort of replaced it recently with a Yamaha S90es. It's got OK organ sounds but other than buying a $1700 Motion Sound rotary unit can anyone tell me if and how I can hook up the yamaha to some form of leslie? Maybe even an old 122 or 147? Any help would be appreciated!!!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do you already have a 122 or 147? If so all you need is a preamp. Check out Speakeasy. If you don't currently own a Leslie you'll probably be spending pretty close to $1700 when all is said and done if you want any kind of spinning cabinet. For way less money there are simulators out there like the VOCE SPIN II. I think you kind of get what you pay for with this stuff.

THanks! don't currently have any leslie. So I was in fact looking at the Motion Sound unit figuring that I might spend that much on an old leslie. Just wishful thinking that I might "stumble" into an old 122 for $500 or so but they are getting hard to find. I will check out the VOCE Spin II

Cheers

Just wishful thinking that I might "stumble" into an old 122 for $500 or so

That would be a real stumble....nice 122/47 models are going for $1500 and UP. Beaters selling for $1000. And parts only models are going for $500 plus.

If you have owned a Hammond, then I can't imagine you would feel comfortable playing organ on the S90ES' weighted keys. Why not save up for a dedicated Hammond clone, like an XK1, VK8, Electro, CX3 or something like that?

The S90ES won't sound or feel all that great, even playing through a nice Leslie. I would go for an organ clone, particularly since you have owned a Hammond.

Can you somehow route only the organ patches on the S-90 through the Leslie? If not, the other (i.e., non-organ) sounds may sound kind of weird through the Leslie, even on brake mode. I second the simulator idea. I have a Voce Spin II which sounds pretty darn good, especially on fast....a little phasey on slow, however. Of course, the Dynacord CLS 222 is king of the Leslie sims (IHMO) but good luck trying to find one....

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Can you somehow route only the organ patches on the S-90 through the Leslie? If not, the other (i.e., non-organ) sounds may sound kind of weird through the Leslie, even on brake mode.

Good point.

Seems to me that you would need a switchbox to choose between the Leslie and a setup for the other voices.

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

The S90ES has a second set of outs .. organ patches can be set up to always go to the rotary speaker,while the other patches go elsewhere. However, I don't think B3s are Yamaha's strong suit ... and there are those weighted keys ...

Thanks for the info!! Can you tell me how to route the organ samples thru another "out?" Also has anyone had ANY experience with the motion sound box (the big one with 2 horns)how does it sound with the brake on?

The Roadbox rocks unbelievably. Loud, portable, and tone for days. Allow me to point you to a web page I put up with sound clips:

http://www.hotrodmotm.com/sounds/roadbox/

Moe

---

Quote by Darrinboy:

"Thanks for the info!! Can you tell me how to route the organ samples thru another "out?" Also has anyone had ANY experience with the motion sound box (the big one with 2 horns)how does it sound with the brake on?"

Darrin, you can find that information in the manual, or do an inquiry on Motifator.com. You should check that site out. There is a separate section for the ES8 and you can search on "auxillary outs" or "outputs", use your imagination. IIRC, controllers and outputs have to be programmed at the patch level, rather than a global level for all "organ" sounds. That would allow you the freedom to send other sounds out to the Leslie other than organ sounds.

As far as the Motion Sound Model with two horns in, are you talking about the BIG Leslie they make for churches? If so, get your wallet out.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

If you have owned a Hammond, then I can't imagine you would feel comfortable playing organ on the S90ES' weighted keys. Why not save up for a dedicated Hammond clone, like an XK1, VK8, Electro, CX3 or something like that?

The S90ES won't sound or feel all that great, even playing through a nice Leslie. I would go for an organ clone, particularly since you have owned a Hammond.

+1 :thu:

If the organ sound is only required for certain songs, a ROMpler (S90ES) will do. However, if it is an organ-based gig, a clonewheel would make a better choice.

Either way, rather than cop and lug a real leslie around, consider taking a sim out for a spin. :)

Good luck and welcome to to the forum. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I agree with Eric and ProfD. I wouldn't stick a ton of money in a Leslie or Leslie sim for the S90ES. There are other issues besides the Leslie that make it less than ideal. I have seen used Leslies pop up in my (Seattle area) Craigslist that have been reasonably priced, but they tend to go fast.

Busch.

Thanks for the info!! Can you tell me how to route the organ samples thru another "out?"

Unlike other brands...Roland comes to mind ;) ... you cannot send an individual patch (voice) to an assignable out on a Yamaha. You must throw in into a performance or mix (multi). At least that's the way it is on a Motif, and I think it's probably the same on the S.

I've always thought that the Hammond waves themselves aren't all that bad on a Motif/S, but it's Yamaha's substandard Leslie sim that lets the sound down the most. But whether you go with an outboard effect or a real spinning amp, you are going to have to go through a few programming hurdles on your S.

Bill, I haven't had a reason to send individual voices out the Aux outputs, but its my understanding it can be done on the Motif ES8. If not, what would be the purpose of having two auxillary outs? I realize there is a performance mode, but the voice mode is probably used every bit as much as performances. That doesn't make any sense. Are you sure that wasn;t one of the things that Yamaha changed when it went to the ES series?

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I agree with Eric and that is what I did. I now have an S90ES and a Korg CX-3. I have never owned or even played a B-3, but I can tell you I would never EVER use the organ sounds of the S90ES over the Korg. So for around the same price you would pay for a used Leslie or Roadbox (maybe even a little less) you could have a clone. Then you would just need to decide if you were OK with just a simulated rotating speaker sound or whether you just had to have real air moving. I have been using my CX-3 with simulated Leslie for about 2 years and it is fairly OK, although I think I am ready to look into a Roadbox. If someone took my CX-3 away though, I simply would not play organ parts since now I am spoiled. I can't imaging how coming from a real B-3, you would be even remotely satisfied with the S90ES organ patches.

Lou

---------------

To B-3 or not to B-3, that is the question.

Bill, I haven't had a reason to send individual voices out the Aux outputs, but its my understanding it can be done on the Motif ES8. If not, what would be the purpose of having two auxillary outs? I realize there is a performance mode, but the voice mode is probably used every bit as much as performances. That doesn't make any sense. Are you sure that wasn;t one of the things that Yamaha changed when it went to the ES series?

Mike T.

I don't use them either, but all I can say is check it out Mike. I'm working on some stuff for this weekend and have my ES7 up and running. So when this thread came up, to help out, I brought up the Voice edit output pages (both common and element), looked around, scratched my head, and muttered "Where are they?" I'm like you. I thought that they had to be there.

Pulled out the manual and sure enough it only mentions assignable outs (Yamaha's term for aux outs) in Performance and Mix.

I spent several minutes poking around in voice edit to see if I missed them somehow, and am pretty sure that there aren't any.

I think it's just another one of those incredible design lapses that are sprinkled throughout the Motif OS. If the thing didn't sound so good I'd have given up on it long ago.

Bill,

I spent several minutes poking around in voice edit to see if I missed them somehow, and am pretty sure that there aren't any.

I confirmed this on my S90 ES. Don't use the assignable out but got to admit this is pretty lame. :crazy:

The S90ES has a second set of outs .. organ patches can be set up to always go to the rotary speaker,while the other patches go elsewhere.

Sorry for being unclear. I assumed multi-timbral usage (i.e. setting up patches in a performance) since the premise of the question was about sending one set of sounds one way and another a different way.

Jerry

[quote=Tusker

Sorry for being unclear. I assumed multi-timbral usage (i.e. setting up patches in a performance) since the premise of the question was about sending one set of sounds one way and another a different way.

Jerry

Perfectly clear Jerry. In addition I think there was some minimal consensus that access to the assignable outputs should be available at the Voice (patch) level as well. This way when you selected a single organ patch (or whatever) in voice mode it could be routed to output(s) going to the Leslie without first configuring use of that Voice in a Performance or Multi.

Count me in on that. I agree, it should be available at the voice level.

[OT]Strange boards these, with their strengths and these little irksome flaws. My current pet peeve is that in the performance mode there is no musical way to switch patches on and off. You can mute, but that cuts the sound dead in it's tracks instead of merely defeating the reception of further midi information. So I am busy working with volume sliders ... where I am bound to make mistakes.

Jerry

Actually you were very clear Jerry. I wasn't trying to disagree with you. The OP asked twice though, so I thought I'd go into a little more specifics about how you use assignable outs on a Yamaha.

I actually thought about doing this very topic, running ES7 organs to an aux out and through a better Leslie sim, which is another reason I responded. But once you are out of Voice mode, the faders no longer can control element level like drawbars. So then I would have to deconstruct all my organ sounds and spread them out over several Voices and then reassemble them in a mode that supports assignable outs. So... nah... not this year anyway.

Oops... this year is almost over. Watch your mouth! :P

I'm a simple kind of guy so if I need better organs I bring my SRX-07 expanded Fantom S along... no clone mind you, but better than my ES7.

Wow! Thanks for all the input. Overwhelming as it may be! MY intent was never to "replace" the B3 with the S90es but It is a good all around board. The organ samples are Ok at best in comparasion to a lot of things but the notion of a rotary of some form seemed like it might be an "adaquate" solution. I'm getting old and tired of carrying too much crap around! For the record the Motion sound box I was looking at was the Pro 145 which is a reasonably small 2 horn box that can be bought used for just over $1000-1200...

Moe, nice call putting Waitin' for the Wind on your site. Man, your rig sounds good!

Thanks! That album seared my brain back in high school, and the organ tone was always one I aspired to. Took me awhile, didn't it? ;)

Me, too. Loved that record and I still have it. Just a great rock n roll hammond sound. Like D. Sancious on Tone. Perfect. I got to play Davy's hammond a few times back in the early '70's and to this day it's gotta be one of the best ones I've touched. It was a dark 50's model. When he wasn't working with BS, he was doing a duo with Boom and lemme tell ya; they rocked. You've got that sound. I love it.

I use the Motion Sound KBR 3D. You can run the left and right outputs through the clean channel and re route your organ patches to the assignable output. The Direct output in the back makes things easy for the sound crew as well. Very warm sound. If you don't want to go through the headache of re writing patches, run a line from your headphone out to a volume pedal and then to the rotating horn input. I bought mine used on ebay for about $800.

I got to play Davy's hammond a few times back in the early '70's and to this day it's gotta be one of the best ones I've touched. It was a dark 50's model. When he wasn't working with BS, he was doing a duo with Boom and lemme tell ya; they rocked. You've got that sound. I love it.

Sweet! I've owned 4 Hammond consoles in my life - a '54 B-2, a '59 C-3, a '58 B-3, and a '57 B-3. I seem to always gravitate to the darker 50's Hammond sound too.

Moe

---

oh man, nice tune from tune town (wfw)

btw linwood i wanted to talk to you about something you said about herbie's playing on the River that's been bouncing around my brain.

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Archived