Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

QS8.2?

Zack Pomerleau

Dave, there is a sound in the manual, that talks all about the sounds, and it mentions a preset called 60's Organ Combo, and was hoping it was Doorsish or even maybe similar to Vox (as they used) cool!

Don't know that one...I'll see if I can find it when I get home...

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those are lists of samples...they're only the raw ROM waveforms used in making programs, not the programs themselves.

No real easy way to tell which programs use those waves, other than listening to them in an initialized patch, then going through the organ programs and seeing where you hear those sounds.

dB

Okay guys this is it, I am taking the Plunge and buying it, but I need a stand now, what can you recommend for CHEEEEP?

It doesn't get any cheaper than a simple X stand ($20 or less). A folding Z stand starts at about $25.

All of this is mute if your situation is conducive to using the kitchen table which is free. :laugh:

Seriously, it really depends on whether you plan to use this stand on stage and/or just at home. A nice multi-purpose stand can be gotten for about $50. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I have a 6.1 that I have used day in and day out for about 5 years now. I love it!! Some of the sounds on it are now part of "my" sound. I have learned to integrate it into everything I do. About once a year I get the urge to upgrade. I borrow a friends board for a week or two but I always come away uninspired. I have yet to find another board which will give me a substantial upgrade to my overall soundset that would make it worthwhile to switch. Keep in mind that I have a Roland 88 key piano and a Roland VK-8 for organ so I do not rely on it for those core sounds.

Steve

A Lifetime of Peace, Love and Protest Music

www.rock-xtreme.com

Looking through everywheres, I am not seeing QCards with Vox, so it is either inside it, or elsewhere, but everything sounds so nice, it is cool!

Keep checking ebay. They show up all the time. I got a Classical card for $35 about 3 years ago. Has some amazing sounds. I keep looking for a classic card but they are usually gone by the time I come across them.

Steve

www.rock-xtreme.com

Okay thanks, I am hoping the internal sounds will be good enough for me for basic gigging and recording, and if I want more, so be it. In April or so I gotta do a Doors thing for tribute of them, and we gotta do Riders On The Storm, Close To You, Light My Fire, and the last song is yet to be announced, so it was quite cool that this keyboard has the sounds.

Dave Bryce... every day that I use my QS synth, I secretly thank you for all the work you've done on it. Bravo!

+1

I've got gear from a lot of different manufacturers, but Alesis stuff almost always seems to come closest to what I'm looking for.

The QS was pretty impressive when it came out (except for the filter res thing), and still remains a very viable alternative.

I hear 'clear and clean' when others hear 'thin'.

Seriously, sounds are only "dated" depending on how they are used and who is playing them.
I should clarify that by dated, I was meaning that in comparison to the synths of the QS's era,

For example? The only piano samples I know of at the time that came close were on the Kurzweil, and it lacked the polyphony and was 3 times the price. Also, an 8MB piano at the time was quite large. And nothing had the range of sounds.

Just to be clear, we are talking 1997 or early 8 here - that's when I got mine.

The big limitation is the lack of recursive filters. So you can't use the filter to do a wah. The other big limitation was the lack of documentation for the internal sound format so that you could not really create your own samples.

BTW, the lightpipe gives you full 18 bits of output but the analogs only give you 16. The sounds are noticably better through the lightpipe. As well as never leaving the digital domain of course - digital outs are still not that common on synths, except possibly as an option.

Its a real shame Alesis did not continue developing this synth.

I should also add that I do indeed approach each new release from ANY manufacturer with an open mind

Then you're a better man than I, Gunga Din. There are definitely a few companies whom I find it problematic not to hold preconceptions about their practices and products.

dB

Well, I don't consider Behringer to be a legitimate manufacturer, so... ;)
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Seriously, sounds are only "dated" depending on how they are used and who is playing them.
I should clarify that by dated, I was meaning that in comparison to the synths of the QS's era,

For example? The only piano samples I know of at the time that came close were on the Kurzweil, and it lacked the polyphony and was 3 times the price. Also, an 8MB piano at the time was quite large. And nothing had the range of sounds.

You're kidding right? That thing didn't sound as good as an original Sound Canvas...
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Its a real shame Alesis did not continue developing this synth.

I think of the Fusion as a logical successor. The "load your own sounds" approach was certainly adopted, but with the modernities of USB2 and a big HDD. And at its current price range, it really does make a lot of sense when considered as a "QS" successor, rather than a "be all and end all wonder machine" that it was originally marketed as.

Enjoy your Alesis, Zack. Really, the biggest problem you will have with the board (or any Alesis board) is having thick enough skin (or stubbornness) to deal with the vocal anti-Alesis public :) If you can get over that, you would probably find it quite excellent for what it is.

Dave, there is a sound in the manual, that talks all about the sounds, and it mentions a preset called 60's Organ Combo, and was hoping it was Doorsish or even maybe similar to Vox (as they used) cool!

I've used that preset on "Gloria" - Them w/Van Morrison on my QS6.2. I think it really captures the vintage Combo sound. I also use it for "Light My Fire" with a bit of filtering to get the tone I want. The QS also has a great "Electric Organ" preset similar to the Farfisa organ.

I really like the QS, however if you use low to mid quality combo amps like Peavey, Crate, Roland, etc. it tends to sound a bit thin and bright. However, when I ran it thru a PA with 2 Mackie 450's/mixer in mono there was a big improvement in tone and clarity. I guess this is true for any KB, but it proved to me that the QS can sound great with a good system.

Zack, glad that you made your choice.... happy jamming. Now, when it arrives, you need to do the OFFICIAL QS RITUAL to break it in... select that 'Fanfare' brass preset and rock out on ELP's Fanfare for the Common Man... :) :) :) :)
Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Alesis Ion, Kawai K3M

select that 'Fanfare' brass preset and rock out on ELP's Fanfare for the Common Man... :) :) :) :)

I wrote that program...Emerson actually used it on tour. :D:cool:

Truth be told, I wrote all of the ELP synth presets for the QS. The Fanfare one is my fave, but the Trilogy Ld and The Sage programs are right behind it. :thu:

dB

Hey Moj! Thanks for telling me! That made my DAY! WOO!!! I will look up that song Synth, and I will JAMMM! Jook, I think I decided to kill the Fusion, because of sooo mannny bugs, that just threw me off, and I heard bad about the keys and even sadly I was told it freezes lots. But, I have thick skin, and man I am excited, Rayz Rhodez, awesome, Ray must like it. hahaha, that is cool that a designer of it is on this board, I am very happy to have him, awesome. You all are very helpful, when I get it, I will give a review!

That's cool, I reckon the QS is more your board anyway, as it sounds like it'll be your only keyboard and you really want to get started with it as soon as possible.

I believe THEM used a Vox Continental organ, just as The Doors did, so if that patch is a good match for "Gloria", you should be quite pleased. Of course, needless to say, if you like what Manzarek plays out of the QS, then you're pretty much guaranteed to dig it anyway.

The Fanfare one is my fave, but the Trilogy Ld and The Sage programs are right behind it. :thu:

dB

Sage is my fav! Outstanding work DB. :thu:

True Story.

We were playing a local charity fundraiser. There were about 20 bands who each did 3 songs. It was a small stage and you only had 5 minutes to get ready. I was hidden in back when we played so nobody could see what I was playing. About 2 bands after we went on, one of the keyboard players from another band hunts me down and wants to know where the Hammond was that I was playing so he could borrow it. It was my 6.1.

Steve

www.rock-xtreme.com

You sure you're not just suffering from Alesis Prejudice? It was justified after the original QuadraSynth (and more than a few of the other Alesis products :eek: ), and I've seen it before...you're showing the main two symptoms (sounds are thin, build quality is flimsy). You wouldn't believe how many people we got to change that opinion when they actually gave the thing a fair shake. :D

I agree with Mr. Bryce.

I've still got my QS7 and have pounded on it live and used it in my soundtrack work. It can sound fat and rich and sure is built well. Totally reliable, never failed me in almost 10 years. The sounds have really enhanced the soundtrack stuff I've done and clients have been happy. I use it now in conjunction with soft synths but it's always there.

"The devil take the poets who dare to sing the pleasures of an artist's life." - Gottschalk

Soundcloud

Aethellis

I have a 6.1 that I have used day in and day out for about 5 years now. I love it!! Some of the sounds on it are now part of "my" sound. I have learned to integrate it into everything I do. About once a year I get the urge to upgrade. I borrow a friends board for a week or two but I always come away uninspired. I have yet to find another board which will give me a substantial upgrade to my overall soundset that would make it worthwhile to switch. Keep in mind that I have a Roland 88 key piano and a Roland VK-8 for organ so I do not rely on it for those core sounds.

Steve

I'm the same way about my top board (Korg N364). I've integrated some of the sounds into my overall sound, and expect to hear that sound each time.

When my N364 died, I looked at the QS6.2 at a local music store. Seemed like a nice board, with some good sounds in it, and I came close to getting one. But, it didn't have the sounds I was used to having, so I stopped. Sure, that's not a really fair way to judge the sonic quality and usefulness, but that's the way it was. I'll do the same when I look at the Korg offerings. New music store right by my house that's a Korg dealer (I'm going there Saturday and play around with a Radius, among others.) I'm sure I'll catch myself comparing the sounds (on the OTHERS, not the Radius) to what I'm used to.

Zack

You don't really need thick skin to get by the potential Alesis Haters. If it has the sound you want, and enables you to create the music you hear in your head, who cares who makes it. Go for it, and give us a report.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Archived