Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Chamberd LP

Zuben

Doc, I know you have mentioned these to me.

In 30+ years, I have never had the chance to play a chambered LP. Now I have the chance to pick one op cheap (cheap as LPs go) from a friend but I have never played it. He lives in Nashville.

I have always thought that much of the tone and sustain of a LP comes from that big solid body. I would think you would lose some of that with a chambered version.

It appeals to me because of the weight, one of the reasons I picked up another SG (which turned out to be a steal and great axe)

Anyone with experienced with the chambered LP, I would appreciate any input you could share.

Peace

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm quite sure my Studio is chambered. It's the lightest LP I've ever played, and sounds great. My '71 Strat is heavier. Your SG will be lighter still. My bud's Studio is older and way heavier.

Besides, ya won't lose on it if ya have to resell it, so I'd grab it.

Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

With Les Pauls, the main thing to avoid when routing and chambering is the area immediately surrounding the bridge. Tunnel around in there, and some thunk 'n' chunk 'n' sustain can be lost. (Jimmy Page has been quoted as saying that he ruined a '58 or '59 Les Paul by having it routed for a Parsons-White B-Bender installation.) I believe that Gibson very deliberately leaves a specific chunk of territory unmolested when routing the chambers on their chambered LPs.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

the Les Paul BFG i tried yesterday was ultra light. it was very comfy. it sounded real nice as well, but it was being put thru a Tiny Terror.

That ugly stick runs about $3500.00, doesn't it?

Actually, HT, it's just under $1000. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Les-Paul-BFG-Electric-Guitar?sku=512579

I'm not sure if I like it or not. I'd have to play one to make up my mind. The black and the amber aren't too bad, but that red/pink is hideous.

Avoid playing the amplifier at a volume setting high enough to produce a distorted sound through the speaker-Fender Guitar Course-1966

Doc, I know you have mentioned these to me.

In 30+ years, I have never had the chance to play a chambered LP. Now I have the chance to pick one op cheap (cheap as LPs go) from a friend but I have never played it. He lives in Nashville.

I have always thought that much of the tone and sustain of a LP comes from that big solid body. I would think you would lose some of that with a chambered version.

It appeals to me because of the weight, one of the reasons I picked up another SG (which turned out to be a steal and great axe)

Anyone with experienced with the chambered LP, I would appreciate any input you could share.

Peace

very cool... I've read great reviews of Warmoth chambered Les Pauls, but those won't necessarily help you since I'm sure their chambering is different, and most importantly: THEY'RE BOLT-ON-NECK GUITARS, NOT SET-NECK.

Whenever I wanna daydream about pretty electric guitars, I usually visit the Warmoth website to check out the LP bodies they have available.

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

--from 'Beyond Good and Evil', by Friedrich Nietzsche

My MySpace Space

the Les Paul BFG i tried yesterday was ultra light. it was very comfy. it sounded real nice as well, but it was being put thru a Tiny Terror.

That ugly stick runs about $3500.00, doesn't it?

only a grand. but it sounded like a marriage made in Hell. :D

my present dream rig would be a BFG into a tiny terror and 2x12 closed back Orange cab. maybe an OCD to add some fun.

So they take the first 52 guitars in each color, give you a piece of paper, and charge over three times the amount? And people buy them?

Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

BEWARE THE "LIMITED RUN"!! :eek::laugh:

Some have some future potential. Most are just ways of making more money off of naive comsumers.

Zub.....I love heavy Les Pauls......actually, though, after buying a couple of Les Paul Elegants, which are chambered....AND BEAUTIFUL...after buying and playing several Elegants, I realized that I simply loved great sounding and playing Les Pauls!!

The Elegants are great guitars. I don't think that they loose any tone what so ever, compared to solid body non chambered LP's. There are subtle differences in tone, but I'm not sure I could do a good job of describing them. And, I bet that if I posted audio of ten LP's, half chambered and the other half not, that most of us wouldn't be able to consistantly tell the difference.

What model LP is the chambered one that you are considering??

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

Wow- lessee, you can buy the "stripped down", faux-punk LP BFG (what does that stand for, anyways??) for a relative bargain, but not exatly cheap, IF you can hang with the looks and rough-feeling, unsanded top; or, you can buy EXACTLY THE SAME FUGLY THING with a certificate authenticating its standing early in the production run, FOR NEARLY FOUR TIMES THE PRICE??!!?? Wow, you'd better be a real dedicated collector of ALL things "Les Paul"! I guess you'd buy one in each color then; and then maybe a whole lot more, and destroy them...

They might look better in real-life, even that Salmon-Rusty one. Then again, they might look worse...

Now back to our scheduled thread on the Chamber Music LIVE from Hollow-Wood...

If I'm remembering correctly, I read over on the Les Paul Forum that pretty much all of the Les Pauls made since 2004 are chambered. I can't independently confirm that, but they seem to know about Les Pauls over there...

That's interesting.....I'd noticed that in the past several years Gibson was offering many more chambered LP's than before. I'm pretty sure it use to be that only the Supreme, the Elegant, and the Frampton signature had chambers?????

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

If I'm remembering correctly, I read over on the Les Paul Forum that pretty much all of the Les Pauls made since 2004 are chambered. I can't independently confirm that, but they seem to know about Les Pauls over there...

I don't know about that. If I were looking for a brand new LP Standard, I wouldn't expect nor want it to be chambered.... some of their other LP derivates maybe but not the Standard.

Wow- lessee, you can buy the "stripped down", faux-punk LP BFG (what does that stand for, anyways??) for a relative bargain, but not exatly cheap, IF you can hang with the looks and rough-feeling, unsanded top; or, you can buy EXACTLY THE SAME FUGLY THING with a certificate authenticating its standing early in the production run, FOR NEARLY FOUR TIMES THE PRICE??!!?? Wow, you'd better be a real dedicated collector of ALL things "Les Paul"! I guess you'd buy one in each color then; and then maybe a whole lot more, and destroy them...

They might look better in real-life, even that Salmon-Rusty one. Then again, they might look worse...

Now back to our scheduled thread on the Chamber Music LIVE from Hollow-Wood...

i wouldn't even consider the "limited" model..that is insane.

but the reg black BFg is just so "don't give a care" that i absolutely love it. something about the feel of that wood and the pickups are sweet. it is like an old pair of jeans.

not for everyone. but i like it.

The Standard (my favorite LP) is still just solid Mahogany:

http://www.gibson.com/en%2Dus/Divisions/Gibson%20USA/Guitars/LesPaul/Standards/Standard/

It says it is mahogany, but not "solid" mahogany....

Here's the thread on the LPF where they claim all new Les Pauls are chambered/weight relieved.... Like I said, I don't know if it is true. But the people at the LPF are the most anal retentive Les Paul players and collecters on the planet....

It says it is mahogany, but not "solid" mahogany....

If it weren't solid and instead chambered mahogany, don't you think that's what it would say on the specs?

Don't believe me.... check out the LP supreme.

http://www.gibson.com/en%2Dus/Divisions/Gibson%20USA/Guitars/LesPaul/Supreme/

The LP Standard is STILL a solid piece of mahogany (except for the maple top). I'm sure of this... I don't care what anus heads on a LP forum say otherwise.

Kinda looks like raw salmon, doesn't it? :D:sick:

that is exactly the description i have used!

If you were the one, and I think that you were, that posted a picture of raw salmon next to the red BFG, then I give credit where credit is due. That's where I got the salmon description from. Couldn't have possibly given a better description. :thu::wave:

Avoid playing the amplifier at a volume setting high enough to produce a distorted sound through the speaker-Fender Guitar Course-1966

HOLY CRAP!!! There's no way I'd pay that much for one of those, limited edition or not! YIKES!!!

There's a bit of a difference between "chambered" and "weight-relieved"; the former is more of a specific design, with blueprinted chambers of various shapes and sizes routed-out by plan for acoustic properties, not unlike those found on the "solid-body acoustic-electric" Chet Atkins nylon- and steel-string guitars. The latter might be more random, and consists of large, round holes bored part-way through the mahogany to lessen the weight.

HOLY CRAP!!! There's no way I'd pay that much for one of those, limited edition or not! YIKES!!!

Neither would I. That's as much as a decent PRS Custom 22. I think you can guess which one I'd buy.

There's a bit of a difference between "chambered" and "weight-relieved"; the former is more of a specific design, with blueprinted chambers of various shapes and sizes routed-out by plan for acoustic properties, not unlike those found on the "solid-body acoustic-electric" Chet Atkins nylon- and steel-string guitars. The latter might be more random, and consists of large, round holes bored part-way through the mahogany to lessen the weight.

Does a weight-relieved LP qualify as "solid mahogany?"

Archived