Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Worlds best Keyboard Player?

Zuben

There are guys who are great technicians but who can't improvise, and there are guys who are great improvisers but who are limited technically ... and there's everything in between.

There really is only a handful of guys who can do everything ... and for some reason, I don't know, I can't place Marvin Hamlisch on that list. :laugh:

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's no such thing as the greatest keyboardist, but there are a lot of great ones.

Especially here in Atlanta. One MAJOR musician here, I won't call out their name, plays extraordinary, until I found out their carefully guarded secret which is taboo in my book.......they TRANSPOSE!

Yamaha MODX8, Korg Kronos 2 61, Hammond B3, Novation 61SL MKII, Impulse 61, Roland D-550, Proteus 2000, etc......to name a few.

You guys bring up some good ones. I would have agreed until I jammed with the older, smaller and better looking guy in the picture. This guy can play like no one else I've heard before. I was lucky enough to jam with him. His playing put me to shame. I realized I have a long, long way to go.

http://members.cox.net/enetrealdeals/images/Jam.jpg

Ummmmmmmmm, which one are you? :)

I apologize for that. Really. I do.

BTW, nice hat. :o:laugh::wave:

Hey I like the AQUAMAN t-shirt! I have one just like it!

"The devil take the poets who dare to sing the pleasures of an artist's life." - Gottschalk

Soundcloud

Aethellis

One MAJOR musician here, I won't call out their name
Call! Call! ;)

Although HE transposes, that rascal is phenomenal!! I won't bust his good thing! ;)

Yamaha MODX8, Korg Kronos 2 61, Hammond B3, Novation 61SL MKII, Impulse 61, Roland D-550, Proteus 2000, etc......to name a few.

For me it will always be the one who when I first heard him with the Spencer Davis Group I said I have to play the Hammond Organ. I was just a kid at the time and come to think of it, so was he. Of course I'm talking about Steve Winwood. And then I got to see him live with Traffic when they were just a trio...WOW!!! He's it for me.

http://bigfun3.bandcamp.com

www.facebook.com/BigFunThree

Matt Rollings.

He is awesome. I wish I knew more about him. All I know is that whenever I look up who's playing piano on that great country tune, it is usually Matt Rollings. Not only is he good, but extremely tasteful.

But if we're going to talk about epic pianists, you have to say Oscar Peterson.

Matt joined here and posted a couple of times. He and his buddy Steve Nathan are pretty good, ain't they?

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Matt joined here and posted a couple of times. He and his buddy Steve Nathan are pretty good, ain't they?

Really? Isn't Steve the organ player for all those country songs? Don't Steve and Matt play on the George Strait albums (at least the last few)? They're both great, very tasty. I love what Matt plays on Clint Black's last couple of albums. Actually, his keyboard work on D'Lectrified and Spend My Time were some of my favorite Nashville keyboard playing ever. So subtle and tasteful. It's a shame those two albums went largely unnoticed.

I'm trying to imagine the "World Piano Championships" so we could be objective about the question of who is best.

It's rather amusing... technical requirements, artistic impression, prime-time TV format, judges, running play-by-play commentary ("Dick, he's going to attempt an augmented 10th glissando with a difficulty rating of 3.7.... BRILLIANT!"), prize money, defending champions, sponsors, costumes, emotional speeches, etc.

Sorry... never mind...

The lady with the gold slippers on the religious channel.

Fancy foot-work.

Diane Bish? I was going to say her too.

OTOH, Joey D totally rocks my world.

And then there's this:

http://photos-a.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sctm/v157/231/71/516620830/n516620830_698264_1589.jpg

courtesy of the every-time-you-write-a-parallel-5th-Bach-kills-a-kitten group on Facebook.

I played in an 8 piece horn band. We would often get bored. So...three words:

"Tower of Polka." - Calumet

The player I've been most impressed by over the last 5 years is Rainer Bruninghaus... almost everything he is on is just sublime... he was doing those lyrical Lyle Mays type solos back in 1973 with Eberhard Weber (Colours of Chloe)

I heard a great Charlie Mariano LP from 1977 and Rainer was doing a Joe Zawinul, obviously inspired by Blackmarket...

Archived