Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

gear for a garage / psychedelia gig?

DafDuc

This is just starting to form, with a few of my buddies, but it looks like we're doing a project that involves 60's garage (Seeds, Rationals, Love, Them, etc.) then-n-now psychedelia (early Floyd, Vanilla Fudge, Arthur Brown, Ween, Flaming Lips, Beck), plus originals by a guy who listens to a lot of Beck, Ween, Lips, and Pixies. Pixies seems to show up in his writing the most.

So I have this obscene collection of boards - need to narrow it down to a few for this project. Big question # 1 - can I emulate transistor organs with a B-3 clone? I've got a Klangbox B-4000. What are good Hammond settings to get, say, an Alan Price sound? Or should I go chase down a Vox or Farfisa or something?

#2 - I'd like to use only one analog/VA synth. And I'd like it not to be my Prophet, which needs to stay home and out of harm's way. I'm thinking I'm better off using the K-Station than the Odyssey. None of the rest of my boards have enough knobs up front.

#3 - I think my Fusion 6HD may be my best choice for a piano: I like my QS-8, but it doesn't lug as well. And my NP30 has great piano and Rhodes patches, but no Wurlie or Clav. I think the Wurlie's essential to the period vibe. Right?

#4 - IF I'm called on to do keyboard bass, then maybe the NP-30? The Rhodes patch is nice. Synth bass doesn't really fit the genre, does it? Or maybe the VL70m?

#5 - ISTM the following boards aren't of much value in a gig like this...:

TX7

Wavestation

TG33

TQ5

VL70m

DX11

...right? Or (a) would a DX11 be good for designing nonHammond organ sounds? Or (b) does the inclusion of modern psych rock mean I need to think about these kinds of sounds too?

#6 - despite the ubercool period vibe of a real Rhodes Stage 73, Clav D6, and Hammond D152 (550 lbs!), I'm okay in leaving these out of the picture until we can afford roadies, right? My back's already a disaster.

#7 - there's a QSR that's also a possibility (in addition to the QS-8: but see the note about my back). If I use it I'd definitely use the Vintage Keys Qcard, but not sure for a second card: Vintage Synths maybe? Nothing else seems to be on target.

#8 - I can leave the laptop home, right? Please say yes?

Thanks guys,

Daffy

I played in an 8 piece horn band. We would often get bored. So...three words:

"Tower of Polka." - Calumet

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. No. For someone who doesn't care about tranny organs, a B3 clone is fine, but for the music you're doing which requires it, you need something dedicated to that purpose, or at least does a GOOD version of it.

2. For the music you're talking, late 60s, why an analog synth? Not really that much required for the groups you mentioned, or other stuff of that ilk/era.

3. Probably...don't know much about the Fusion.

4. Hmmm.

5. ??

6. You're veering pretty off-target judging by 4/5/6 from a garage psychedelic band.

#7. Yeah, see #6.

#8. What kind of band are you joining????

Get your mission statement together, then put the rig together.

Get a NordStage and leave everything else at home (it's red, looks retro enough to be cool) and would probably more or less do everything you'd really need for this gig. And besides, what garage band would let you bring a laptop?

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

If you are doing material from albums like 'Yoshi' you might want to look into the Lips stage set up. Hint--they toured with many tapes and samples so a trio could recreate the sounds.

Outboard effects.

Many keyboards in psychedelia went through manglers. Phase Shifters, Ring Modulators, etc.

Many of the sounds were created using things that don't travel well at all. Like a Mellotron.

This is where softsynths and sample libraries shine in my book. You can have everything pre-sampled and pre-mangled.

Supplement the software with vintage gear that either travels well or has a certain coolness factor. Have all the sounds on software in case the vintage gear acts up and that gives you greater flex for last minute decisions to add or remove a piece of hardware.

Thanks for the replies.

Tony, I want the right sounds more than the authentic gear. And though I am admittedly a gear slut desperately in need of a 12-step program, I really don't want to buy more gear - so I'm trying to use what I have. But I guess appropriate gear is a key issue - should I be trying to use mostly retro gear? One of those orange Rhodes bass pianos would be fun.

Rich - interestingly, the guitarist's name is Rich White. Good point about the outboards - I should pull out my J-station (cheap modeler fx box) again and see what it does.

And thx Zack. Again, not looking to buy, but good to know there's something out there like the XK1 that does that. I've used the K-Station for bass before - not bad. But again, I don't think anyone was doing synth bass back then.

Nord Stage and C1 have Farfisa and Vox models, that you can modify with drawbars to get some of the variation of the real thing.

I think that there are some Farfisa samples for Fusion from Hollow Sun also.

As for bass, you can do Rhodes bass with an appropriately EQed Rhodes sample.

Moe

---

Get your mission statement together, then put the rig together. Get a NordStage and leave everything else at home (it's red, looks retro enough to be cool) and would probably more or less do everything you'd really need for this gig. And besides, what garage band would let you bring a laptop?

+1, Tony. My thoughts exactly!

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

You can get Mellotrons, Vox Continental (Alan Price, Animals, Them, Doors, Zombies), Farfisa, Wurlie, Clavs, and just about everything else from the free Hollow Sun downloads for your Fusion.

I like to tweak them down on the reverb (in some cases, I turn the reverb off completely from the preset), and they sound mighty fine indeed, and should be just the ticket.

Daf

Have I got a board fer you! Wanna buy a Jetsons Rhodes? Weighs a ton, but would look way cool for retro-band.....

bjl

Hammond SK1, Casio Privia PX5-S, SpaceStation V.3, Behringer B1200D, 2-EV ZxA1s

MacBook Air, Novation ReMOTE 37SL, Logic, Pianoteq 5 Stage, Scarbee Vintage Keys

The MIDI Gizmo Museum!

These are the sounds you can dial up on your Fusion (assuming you've downloaded and installed them on your Fusion already).

Almost everything from HollowSun #2, but in particular:

Vocks Conti

An authentic Vox Continental transistor organ sound from the 60s. Surf's up!!

Tape Choir

The huge, anthemic Gothic choir sound from the legendary tape playback keyboard. S1 pitches it down an octave to re-create the 'half-speed' factory mod that some users had done to their Trons and which creates a truly ominous sound!

Tape Violins

The classic string sound from the legendary tape playback keyboard. S1 pitches it down an octave to re-create the 'half-speed' mod that some users like Barclay James Harvest had done to their Trons! Assignable Knob #1 introduces an octave split to re-create the sound the 'mixed strings' tape bank used by Tangerine Dream and others.

Piannete

The subtle, 'plummy' tones of the Hohner Pianet

FarCheeza

The cheezy sound of a famous Italian transistor organ

Wurli 200

An authentic Wurlitzer EP200 extensively multi-sampled. Instant Supertramp!

Very Tiney

A genuine Rhodes electric piano with emphasised tines

Tape Boys Choir

The angelic sound of the Tron boy's choir. Originally recorded at St. John's Wood, London, this is a rare but beautiful sound. Best used between G2 and F5 (the original Tron keyboard range). Use Assignable Knobs 1 and 2 to affect attack and release.

Tape Mix Strings

Three violins and a cello in unison create this this eerie and classic Tron sound.

Tape Flutes

Nothing need be said about these - an authentic presentation of the famous 'Strawberry Fields' Tron flutes. The default settings give a haunting 'psychedelic' sound but, using the assignable knobs, can either be stripped down for a more 'raw' sound or transformed into a floating pad sound.

Dee 6 Klav

The classic Hohner D6 Clavinet extensively and carefully multi-sampled. S1 creates the 'mute' variation.

Lesly Klav

The Clavinet through a rotary cab effect goes some way to recreating the opening sound from 'Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds'.

B3 88 8888 888

A Hammond B3 with all the stops out!

Seriously, check all those out first, and THEN see if you still need another keyboard for your needs. :)

Remember, if the reverb isn't to your liking (as in my case, I like them dry), turn them off! It makes a huge difference to how much you'll enjoy the sounds, especially on things like the Wurly, where you can appreciate the grit and bark.

I think one of the important things for garage is the appropriate look. To me this means ideally only one board - pref vox or farfisa organ. Maybe with a Wurlie.

I have a XK-3, old CX-3 and VK-7 and none do a decent vox. I understand the Yamaha YC organs can do both vox and farfisa so that would be a good choice. Would look cool too.

Second best would be maybe a Emu Classic keys module or Kurz PC2 series with Classic Keys.

I don't know much about the Nords but they also seem to fit the bill.

You should play through an old tube guitar amp if possible. Alternatively a JC-120 would be OK.

Lastly try to avoid an X stand at all costs.

John

I like to move it, move it (except The Wurly which can be a bit temperamental and the 122 for obvious reasons)

Very cool suggestions, guys.

Fortunately, speaking of the Jetsons, the Fusion kind of has that future retro look already. Maybe I'll add some dayglo overlays or something, LOL.

I did check around eBay - Farfisas can be had pretty cheap, not so Continentals. But the problem with those - and with BJ's Jetson's Rhodes, in spades - is my aching back.

I don't remember my Jaguar being particularly heavy, but that was in the days of heavy boards. Did another gig with my NP30 - it just blows me away I can tuck that thing under my arm and use it anywhere, with great sounds and reasonable keys & action. 12 freaking pounds. Still wish it would fold up into a briefcase like George's rocket car, though. ;)

Is there an X-stand joke that I'm missing? Or is it just that no one used them back then?

Daf

BTW, the creative force on this project seems to be pulling away from the garage side of things. And pushing for a 40-years-of-psychedelia approach rather than a 60's focus.

Damn Gen-Xers.

:D

Stand: Get an On-Stage Z stand and chrome it.

I'm serious! I've thought about doing it myself. I'm not doing 60s music, I just think it would be distinctive and look cool. If I were actually doing a retro 60s music band thing I would for sure.

Yup. Hollow Sun makes a bunch of official free downloads for the Fusion (mostly based on their Nostalgia library) and you can download them here:

http://www.alesis.com/index.php?id=21,74,0,0,1,0

Then on top of all that, they have a whole extra bunch of "freepacks" with lots of quirky things:

http://www.hollowsun.com/downloads/index.html

It's a bit like rummaging through a home studio of a fanatical instrument collector. And having all that available to you on one board is really handy, when experimenting with sounds. I dig it.

Archived