Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Whoa (Re: Little Phatty)

bc002k

I was checking out the Moog site, and came across the Little Phatty synth. There's some clips with the keyboard player from Dream Theatre using it in conjuction with a couple moogerfooger units (http://www.moogmusic.com/detail.php?main_product_id=254), and it sounds awesome - exactly the kind of sound I'd like to achieve on a synth. (The interface of the LP also looks really simple)

I sold my micron (too hard to program for a noob like me), and don't have anything at the moment. Although the LP is a LOT cheaper than the Voyager, it's still pretty pricey for my budget. Could an analog modeling synth like the Ion or Roland SH 201 achieve sounds like displayed in those video clips? Obviously the Moogerfooger pedals are being shown with another Moog synth, but you could use those to add spacey sounds to ANY synth, right?

I'm huge on the analog/Moog sound, but I'm just so freakin' poor, I'll probably need a cheaper alternative.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aha, an Analog versus VA thread .... :cool:

Could an analog modeling synth like the Ion or Roland SH 201 achieve sounds like displayed in those video clips?

Of course. :thu:

Of course not. :P

I think they are both true. Many VA synths have the basic requisites on paper ...

- a filter that can self oscillate and is stable enough to play to pitch.

- the ability to do filter fm with an oscillator and control the depth of the modulation in real time (this is less common ... I don't think the sh201 does this)

- a delay line (I think he is running it through the moogerfooger delay)

... but will that self-oscillation sound good? will it go to the stra--tos--phere? (this really matters... va's tend to alias when they get up there.)

I can "do" all these things easily with my nord modular ... but at the end of it all there is a sense of roundness and sweetness to the Moog sound that is unique to it. If you love the Moog sound ... you will probably not be completely satisfied with the substitutes.

Jerry

Could an analog modeling synth like the Ion or Roland SH 201 achieve sounds like displayed in those video clips?

Obviously the Moogerfooger pedals are being shown with another Moog synth, but you could use those to add spacey sounds to ANY synth, right?

Ion or SH-201? Neither. I demoed them both before settling on the Korg R3 because it was the best sounding of them all in that price range (sub $600). Like you, the Little Phatty (and Korg Radius), while a marvelous Moog machine, was a bit pricey for my budget (plus I got a great deal on it). The R3 has is a great VA synth and the sound is incredible. It's priced well under the Nord Lead 2X PLUS the vocoder is worth the price of admission. I did a mini review in one of my G.A.S. threads...

And adding a Moogerfooger pedal will make anything sound better.

Yamaha (Motif XS7, Motif 6, TX81Z), Korg (R3, Triton-R), Roland (XP-30, D-50, Juno 6, P-330). Novation A Station, Arturia Analog Experience Factory 32

The Korg R3 is def. in my price range. It's about the same price as the Ion, which I was sort of leaning towards. But the R3 has great customer reviews too - the interface isn't nearly as big as the Ion. Do you think the R3 would be an easier synth to learn on for a noob like me?

I'm trying to weigh all my options here.

The Korg R3 is def. in my price range. It's about the same price as the Ion, which I was sort of leaning towards. But the R3 has great customer reviews too - the interface isn't nearly as big as the Ion. Do you think the R3 would be an easier synth to learn on for a noob like me?

I'm trying to weigh all my options here.

The R3 interface is easy to use and follow. I wouldn't say it is extremely "easy" because of the depth of it's flexiblity, but the basic concepts remain the same regardless of the model you choose. Nothing a good read-up on basic synthesis and the R3 Owner's Manual plus participation in on-line forums cannot solve.

Yamaha (Motif XS7, Motif 6, TX81Z), Korg (R3, Triton-R), Roland (XP-30, D-50, Juno 6, P-330). Novation A Station, Arturia Analog Experience Factory 32

A virtual analog synth isn't going to get the pure tone of the oscillating filter, the audio rate modulation of the filter and other sounds you hear in those demos. Save up for a real analog synth like the LP, it's an investment you won't regret.

Thanks for the input guys.

I think I am actually leaning towards the LP now, even though I just said it's out of my budget..it really isn't that bad, and I could probably get one on eBay in good condition for $1000 (as opposed to brand new for $1300). The Ion is $600 - an extra $400 for a real analog synth (and a Moog at that!) isn't terrible.

It looks intuitive, sounds great (From the couple samples I heard). It fits what I want in a synth - classic analog sound and easy to navigate. I could care less about having pads, strings, or techno stuff (In fact, I cringe everytime I hear synths playing rave/dance music when I'm listening to online samples), so I honestly don't think polyphony is necessary for what I want to do in a synth.

Does anyone *not* like the LP?

If you don't have something you can record/multitrack with, the LP would not be a good choice.

Roger O' Donnell of The Cure did ok with one.

What Yoozer is referring to is the Phatty's inability to play more than one note at a time. If you want to make recordings with chords, you'll have to record each individual note on separate tracks. And you'll need another sound source if you want to play live with chords.

I wouldn't be playing live or anything.

But for around the same price, there's also the Evolver, another monophonic analog synth. For those who are familiar with both the Evolver and the LP, is one or the other a better starting point for a beginniner like me who wants to get into the 'analog' sound? The Evolver def. has more knobs and such from what I've seen, but perhaps that'll make it more difficult for me.

If I'm going to spend $1000, I want to get what's best for me..

My personal feeling is that "more knobs" equals "less difficult," not more difficult. I am far from a skilled analog synthesist, and I'm only passingly familiar with the MEK and the Little Phatty, having messed around with both in music stores on multiple occasions. That said, I prefer the "one knob/one function" approach of the Evolver series much more than the ever-changing functions of the four main knobs on the Little Phatty.

My two cents,

Noah

first of all, here a little sound comparison between the little phatty and the evolver:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qnr1UoSVe-I

the downside of this demo is that it only compares the two in term of their 2 analog oscillators. each has a different distinct sound. both are fat and reach. but this demo doesn't show all the complex modulation possibillities of the evolver + all the digital side (effects, digital osc, etc) + the arp & sequencer.

i'd go for the MEK.

Vermona Perfourmer mkii, Nord Stage 3 76

I wouldn't be playing live or anything.

But for around the same price, there's also the Evolver, another monophonic analog synth. For those who are familiar with both the Evolver and the LP, is one or the other a better starting point for a beginniner like me who wants to get into the 'analog' sound? The Evolver def. has more knobs and such from what I've seen, but perhaps that'll make it more difficult for me.

If I'm going to spend $1000, I want to get what's best for me..

Don't worry about the learning curve. Both synths have presets that'll get you going in no time. Both synths will be alot of fun to delve into synthesis with as well.

The Evolver will give you more sound design options and is definitely a 'deeper' synth overall.

As far as which synth has the sound you are looking for, well, you'll need to make that call for yourself. I'm a moog guy when it comes to monosynths. Phatty was a clear winner for me.

You can't go wrong with either synth IMHO. Try and get a chance to get your hands on both and test them out. Once the boards are under your fingers, I have a feeling you'll have no problem discovering which of these beauties is right for you.

Thanks Jazzpunk. The deeper sound of the MEK definetely appeals to me - but then again, I've always wanted a Moog! I still have a couple months to think about it and save up some extra dough. But it looks like I can definetely land a quality used one for under $1000 no matter which route I go..

if you want to make a sort of fair comparison between moog and evolver - it should be in terms of functionality. considering there's a moogish quality in a moog synth, and that it's a matter of taste - than (price aside, for a minute) a fair comparison should be between the evolver and the voyager. not between the evolver and the little phatty.

Depth is overrated. Especially when it comes to analog sound. Let's face it, analog sound is about nostalgia and smoothness.

Find the sound you want. The Evolver and the LP have different personalities. To me, much of what I can do on the Evolver is closer to Nord Modular territory ... so I would lean toward the LP. But many people are drawn to that classic prophet sound. It's a great sound. Find the sound you want.

Then ... if you want to go crazy on sound design ... get some outboard gear, some controller gear, even some modules to drive the CV inputs.

An LP (or a MEK) with an eventide processor would be monstrous. Hmmh. I feel gas coming on. :eek:

Jerry

Great posts guys. I think it comes down to what you want to hear and what you want to do with your synth. The LP has that Moog sound, but a lot less controls and no sequencer like the Evolver synths. I like both synth sounds. I still have a Moog and a Prophet 5 in the music room. They sound different from each other and I used them for different things.

The obvious solution is a synth from each company! Save your money.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

The obvious solution is a synth from each company! Save your money.

Mike T.

Yeah, getting a Little Phatty and a desktop Evolver wouldn't be a horribly expensive way to go...

you can take it even further: if i was given a free moog voyager - i would surely sell it the same day($3200) :cool: , add a few bucks - and get a PEK on the bottom and a little phatty on top ($2400 + $1350 = $3750). that's about all the sonic possibilities i'd want, electronically speaking. :love:

Let me know the minute someone "gives" you a free Moog Voyager. :rolleyes:

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Archived