Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Flatwounds for the first time.

DavidMPires

Hi

I have tried flatwounds on my bass for the first time. I've bought some ernie ball, so far they feel ok but the sound didn't changed considerably on my Ibanez, i' pretty much comfortable with them though I feel they sound kinda crappy when slapping, but flatwounds are made mostly for fingerstyle so i have to adapt to them.

I'm taking my Ibanez for my band practice tomorrow and I'm hopping my drummer notices the diference, as he's always saying my Ibanez sounds crap comparing to my Spector.

Anyway, I know some folks here use flatwounds, are they exclusive to fretless or they are a bit like Marmite (love it or hate it)?

www.myspace.com/davidbassportugal

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've had rounds on my fretted 6 for the last couple of months and have hardly touched it. I'm going to put flats back on it ASAP. Some basses just seem to be made for flats.

There are also a lot of different kinds of flats - I'm REALLY happy with the Bass Centre Elites flats I use, but a quite a few of the other brands i've tried would be way too dull sounding for what I want them to do. I do like the TIs as well, though,

cheers

Steve

www.stevelawson.net

Flats are the greatest thing since pockets.

I have La Bella Jamerson sets on my P and D'Addario flats on my Jazz. I have a Peavey knockoff P strung with round wounds for when I play with a pick.

Flats, especially the Jamerson sets, aren't all that good for playing with a pick and especially for slapping.

Anyway, I know some folks here use flatwounds, are they exclusive to fretless or they are a bit like Marmite (love it or hate it)?

Had to look up Marmite. From the descriptions I found of it, I'd play a bass strung with barbed wire before eating that stuff.

I've played a few fretted basses with flats and like the tone, and have tossed around the idea lately of putting a set on one of the P Basses. Any flats I like would have to be ordered, around here you're lucky to find more than two different sets of roundwounds in the stores.

I had a set of flats on my Jazz, they sounded good, but I put rounds back on because I started doing different stuff.

The flats were nice to play, real easy on the fingers and frets, warm and fat but not muddy. The biggest reason I changed back is because I started doing more funk and rock type stuff and I needed the roundwound sound.

P.S- Edro- Bork Bork Bork!! :D

"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind"- George Orwell

I loved the sound/feel of flats, especially GHS's Precision Flatwounds & Brite Flats on my MIA Jazz (w/60's Custom Shop pu's). I tried about 5 different brands and I liked the GHS's best. Someone told me they liked the Fender flats. The reason I changed back to rounds is/was I only had 1 main bass, and the songs being played were all over the place style wise. If I had my way I'd have a MIA Jazz or P-bass strung with flats just for those certain songs or for that sound! I'm poor and have to use a "general purpose" string on a "general purpose" guitar though. DR Hi-Beams/Marcus Miller Fat-Beams on a MM StingRay 5 HS (great bass!).

Vince

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up." ~ Pablo Picasso

I use Ken Smith Compressors. Pretty easy on the fingers and fretboard, and most of that flat wound zing. I also use Ken Smith Slick Rounds. Basically a round wound with the outer surface ground down smooth. Feels like flats but still retains a lot of that round wound zing.

Feel free to visit my band's site

Delusional Mind

Tup tup tup tup the tup tu (hums muppets tune) :D

If I start playing Mahnamahna on the bass it will be recorded and posted here as payback. And if I still have Muppets tunes/skits in my head much longer I'll have to record two versions, one with flatwounds and one with rounds. :laugh::P

I had TI flats on my Precision and my Sadowsky Jazz for a while. I think they have a whole different flavour to rounds. I now have rounds back on the P bass but like flats on the J for that Meshell Ndegeocello sound.

I tried Rotosound flats once too but much prefered the TI's. I guess it's all down to personal preference otherwise we'd all sound the same.

As for Marmite - definately 'NO'! :crazy:

'The most important thing is to settle on a bass then commit to it. Get to know your bass inside and out and play it in every situation you can.' Marcus Miller

Anyway I had my practice and my drummer couldn't tell the diference. They felt really nice and a great slap sound. I was playing through a SVT3 and a 1x15. Loved it

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

It took me a couple of tries to find the flats that I liked. I tried the Fender flats and Rotosound's Steve Harris set and really did not care for the extra string tension. As I like my action medium-high, the extra tension was enough for me to put the rounds back on.

Then I tried the TI flats and fell in love. The string tension is great and the sound is uniquely theirs. Also, I won't have to change them for the next 10 years! I never tried the Ernie Ball's that you speak of, but I'm glad to hear everything worked out.

-Anthony

I recently fitted my Toby with D'Addario Chromes; second to fret removal, flats are the best thing to ever happen to that bass. I may try Half-Rounds or Compressors in the future, but there's no need to go back to round wounds.

Funny thing about this bass - when it had frets I was never quite satisfied with it whether strung with stainless, nickel, or Half-Rounds. Now that it's fretless and loaded with flats it slaps as well or better than before. I am trying to get past that and play pretty music. ;)

My SB-2 will always have round wounds, but I have considered getting a second SB-2 (or other fretted P-ish bass) to load with flats and let them get old.

- Matt W.

Flats are just fine. You just have to realize that, because they have so much less "bite" to them, your sound may "revert" to the older style of bass guitar that more closely resembles upright. In other words, your lows and mids will dominate and you'll find (or at least I do) that your sound functions best in a subtle pulse and with less flash. Trying to be flashy on flatwounds just sounds pitiful, at least to me. My kind of "flash" follows in the footsteps of players like Geddy Lee, Justin Chancellor, and other progressives, primarily... And while in the right context this sort of procedure can sound good on flats, in a normal "working mix" with guitars, vox, and drums at regular volume I think that it just gets sort of lost or muddies things up because of the flats' tendency to place high tones into a less crisp, more subtle tonal area.

On the other hand, working with a walking jazz line on flats makes a lot more sense and sounds much, much better to a wider audience on flats than than it often would on rounds. So if you're going to be playing in a more supportive role, as in jazz and some Latin and Caribbean genres, flats can be very appropriate. It's not that you aren't heard, it's just that the EQ is so skewed to the warm, smooth, lows/low-mids that your instrument is perceived very differently by the ear. This does not mean you are less of a player to anyone; in fact, I've found numerous times that being in the role of the more supportive player is where you learn the most and work the hardest. This is absolutely true in my jazz ensemble gig, where I use an American Jazz with Fender nickel flats and (provided I don't get the line going too rhythmically complex) an index finger-only attack.

But can't you get that EQ with older roundwounds, palm muting or a little treble cut on the tone pots? I favour older roundwounds - 2 years old or older, with newer strings I just roll off the tone a little. This then gives the flexibility of tone for one instrument because you can also play in a 'roundwound' style. I guess I favour this approach as I mostly use the one bass - if I had 5 basses, one would probably be strung flat. I love the feel of roundwounds under the fingers and the sustain and feel on fretless.

I have my fretless strung BEAD. One of the good things about flatwounds is that they give you a much more solid fundamental on the lower strings, so I get a very definite B.

Apart from that, I just love the feel of them.

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

But can't you get that EQ with older roundwounds, palm muting or a little treble cut on the tone pots? I favour older roundwounds - 2 years old or older, with newer strings I just roll off the tone a little. This then gives the flexibility of tone for one instrument because you can also play in a 'roundwound' style. I guess I favour this approach as I mostly use the one bass - if I had 5 basses, one would probably be strung flat. I love the feel of roundwounds under the fingers and the sustain and feel on fretless.

Maybe I could, coz my Ibanez doesn't seem to like rotosounds, when i put this earnie ball the bass sounded so full and clear

I had a brittish girlfriend years ago,

She tried peanut butter and I tried Marmite....

We dont date anymore.

Clash of the cultures or somthing...

Allthough putting Marmite on flatwound strings creates an interesting sound.

Mongo.....

Mongo Play Bass - It have more than 1 Strings

www.thick-n-thin.com

Archived